BENDIS! Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: FINALLY! California bans hand-held cellphone use in autos.

Re: FINALLY! California bans hand-held cellphone use in autos.

Murder is also frowned upon but it doesn't seem to be stopping people in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Shwicaz
    well, here is one that mentions many different studies, so there you go:
    Still not what I asked for. Nobody doubts that cell phones are distracting and can cause accidents.

This space intentionally left blank.

Quote Originally Posted by xyzzy
    Still not what I asked for. Nobody doubts that cell phones are distracting and can cause accidents.

what you asked for was this:

Until I see a study (preferably several) that compares the effects of various distractions, I remain unconvinced.

this one studied the distraction of a hand held cell phone

the distractions of conversations from a non hand held cell-phone

and the distractions and reactions that come from being impaired do to alcohol

it may not be the answer that you wanted, but that is a study (that referenced several other studies) that compared 3 different distractions.

I am sure you are looking for smoking, talking to someone, or fiddling with the radio, but for now, these are all we have.

Quote Originally Posted by Shwicaz
    what you asked for was this:

this one studied the distraction of a hand held cell phone

the distractions of conversations from a non hand held cell-phone

and the distractions and reactions that come from being impaired do to alcohol

it may not be the answer that you wanted, but that is a study (that referenced several other studies) that compared 3 different distractions.

I am sure you are looking for smoking, talking to someone, or fiddling with the radio, but for now, these are all we have.
    Pretty much. That's the issue that that statement spun out of. I said that I didn't think cell phone use was any more dangerous than other sorts of distractions, like applying makeup or eating. Clark said that it was much more dangerous without any evidence. That's when I asked for studies comparing them. So, yes, while this sortof answers my request out of context, in the overall discussion, I'm still unconvinced.

This space intentionally left blank.

Pretty much. That's the issue that that statement spun out of. I said that I didn't think cell phone use was any more dangerous than other sorts of distractions, like applying makeup or eating. Clark said that it was much more dangerous without any evidence. That's when I asked for studies comparing them. So, yes, while this sortof answers my request out of context, in the overall discussion, I'm still unconvinced.

that's all I was pointing out to you when you said it wasn't what you asked for.

I also would like to see what effect having young children/babies in the car.

I would imagine that could be/would be one hell of a distrction.

Hey,

Well, it *might* not be more distracting, but it IS far, far more common. At least here in LA. When driving around and paying attention for it, you can see how many people are on the phone. I've had times when I'm at a crosswalk on foot waiting to cross, and car after car drives by and literally 100% of them have people on the phone. And, nearly every single time I have a near collision with someone because of their idiotic shit, they're on the phone. I had this woman nearly kill me the other day. She was on the phone and started to turn out into traffic even though there was NO room for her and she had a stop sign and we didn't. She came only a few feet from driving right into me, on the driver's side, was on the phone, then looked at me and giggled, like "Oh sorry. Aren't I cute?" Fucking morons.

I think they should give an IQ test at the DMV.

But, barring that, they really should restrict phone use in cars. I'm not saying they shouldn't also make other distractions illegal too. But, here in LA, you're way more likely to see someone talking on the phone than eating or putting makeup on. It's at least ten times as likely. Can't point you to a study. But, I see it all the time, on a daily basis.

Matt Hollingsworth
    My Website
    My Blog

I think this is a load of shit. Was there an outcry for the banning of the radio when cars were first equipped with them? What about cup holders? Most of those are way down under the dashboard, and if want a drink you have to take your eyes completely off the road. They come with the car! Maybe we should also ban having more than one person in any car, since the act of talking apparently makes people so dangerous. I'm sure that talking on a phone is distracting enough to make people have accidents. But so are several other things people do in their cars every day, and no one says shit about anything but cell phones.

And this...

Quote Originally Posted by Ben
    So cell phone use may be just as distracting as other things like talking and thinking and listening to music... But you can't enforce those other things. You can enforce the "no cell phone" thing.
    is a really silly thing to say. How is it any easier to enforce "no cell phones" than "no drinks" or "no fuckin' with the radio?" You'd basically have to have a cop driving right next to you or right behind you to notice any of them. People would still get away with it every day, banned or not. There's already a fine example of ineffectual traffic regulation every one ignores: the speed limit. I bet all the most outspoken anti-cell phone people in this thread speed to work every morning...
    --Dewey

Quote Originally Posted by TheKraken
    I think this is a load of shit. Was there an outcry for the banning of the radio when cars were first equipped with them? What about cup holders? Most of those are way down under the dashboard, and if want a drink you have to take your eyes completely off the road. They come with the car! Maybe we should also ban having more than one person in any car, since the act of talking apparently makes people so dangerous. I'm sure that talking on a phone is distracting enough to make people have accidents. But so are several other things people do in their cars every day, and no one says shit about anything but cell phones.

And this...

is a really silly thing to say. How is it any easier to enforce "no cell phones" than "no drinks" or "no fuckin' with the radio?" You'd basically have to have a cop driving right next to you or right behind you to notice any of them. People would still get away with it every day, banned or not. There's already a fine example of ineffectual traffic regulation every one ignores: the speed limit. I bet all the most outspoken anti-cell phone people in this thread speed to work every morning...

Actually I think here in Illinois you can get ticketed for drinking a open cup course that could be rumor also but it wouldn't surprise me any.
    "It's like poking a badger with a sharp stick. It's going to get ugly and it's going to happen fast" Detective Rand

Darkling by JM Patterson http://www.darklingmedia.com/

Quote Originally Posted by TheKraken
    I've started keeping track of what every idiot that almost hits me is doing in their cars. It's not hard to see what they're doing in there. Almost every single on of them is on the phone. I've never seen anyone eating or singing along to the radio or anything. That doesn't mean they're not doing it. It means I never see it happening. So cell phone use is easier to spot safely and easier to enforce. QED