BENDIS! Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Q for the Professionals

Q for the Professionals

I know there are more than a few professionals on the board --- writers, artists, inkers, etc. I have some questions for you:

What do you do for health coverage for you and your family?

Is there any sort of guild or union out there? I know about the Writers Guild (wga.org), but they are strictly for screenwriters. Is there anything similar for comic writers, novelists, freelance journalists, etc.? Or do we just have to have earn to pay for our own --- or worse do without?

I'm working to be able to quite the day job within the next 2 years, and health coverage is the big obstacle I have yet to find a way around. Any suggestions?

Re: Q for the Professionals

Live in Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan
    I know there are more than a few professionals on the board --- writers, artists, inkers, etc. I have some questions for you:

What do you do for health coverage for you and your family?

Is there any sort of guild or union out there? I know about the Writers Guild (wga.org), but they are strictly for screenwriters. Is there anything similar for comic writers, novelists, freelance journalists, etc.? Or do we just have to have earn to pay for our own --- or worse do without?

I'm working to be able to quite the day job within the next 2 years, and health coverage is the big obstacle I have yet to find a way around. Any suggestions?
    Outside of Marvel and DC exclusives, you'll have to buy your own health coverage.

The Graphic Arts Guild is probably the most applicable to comics. Neal Adams and a few others tried starting a guild in comics a while back, but it never caught on.

Quote Originally Posted by Pia Guerra
    Live in Canada.
    Don't think it hasn't crossed my mind. I have looked into it. Despite my many Canadian relatives (I'm 2nd generation American), the emigration process ain't easy. It is still an option though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kody
    Outside of Marvel and DC exclusives, you'll have to buy your own health coverage.

The Graphic Arts Guild is probably the most applicable to comics. Neal Adams and a few others tried starting a guild in comics a while back, but it never caught on.
    Thanks!

I was thinking more in terms of benefits for writers though.

So, if you sign an exclusive with one of the Big Two, do they offer health insurance coverage? That true? I did not know that.

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan
    Thanks!

I was thinking more in terms of benefits for writers though.

So, if you sign an exclusive with one of the Big Two, do they offer health insurance coverage? That true? I did not know that.
    I've never signed an exclusive with the big two, so I don't know all the specifics. From what I hear from friends that have, there are different contracts for different creators, and variations are common within those different contracts. So I guess the answer is, it depends on your contract.

yeah, I like to think I know a lot about the biz but this has always baffled me. If you sign a big Bendis style deal with Marvel do you get like a 401K, stock options, medical, dental, life, all that? I'm also curious what writers like Bendis and Ellis make as exclusives. I have heard some different page rates for big time artists but never heard what a major writer makes...Do you get an annual salary plus a per book type deal? I want specifics damn it!

What is strange is with most other mediums like TV, movies, Wrestling, and other sports it is well known by the public and fans what people make when they sign a deal, but it seems to be this big freakin mystery in the comic game.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Nelson
    yeah, I like to think I know a lot about the biz but this has always baffled me. If you sign a big Bendis style deal with Marvel do you get like a 401K, stock options, medical, dental, life, all that? I'm also curious what writers like Bendis and Ellis make as exclusives. I have heard some different page rates for big time artists but never heard what a major writer makes...Do you get an annual salary plus a per book type deal? I want specifics damn it!
    Kevin Smith got 4000.00 for writing an issue of Spider-man Black Cat, or something like that. He published his IM conversation with Joey Q on the subject on his blog once a while back.
    Daring Adventures Webcomic

Also, don't forget, you can invest money and buy insurance without the employer doing it for you. There's no rule that says someone needs to do it for you.