BENDIS! Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Thread: The Wire

The Wire

I watched this special HBO aired the other night. Kind of a behind the scenes thing. I so can not fucking wait for this. This is what HBO shows do to me. I love them with all my heart as they're airing, and then foget about them during the times of Lost and Veronica Mars.

But fuck. The Wire. I'm ashamed I forget how fucking good this is. I can not wait. Best show ever.

There's this great part in that special where David Simon is discussing why the show isn't more popular. He says that because the cast is something like 80% black, it turns a lot of people off. And that there are people who write about TV who don't touch the show. This floored me. Everytime I think we've grown, a statement like that is and I just can't argue with it.

Watch this show. It's simply genius. Season 4 premieres 9/10.

--Alan
    Lava Lung podcast
    BLOG!
    MySpace

Quote Originally Posted by warrenellis
    You are Weak and shall be Drowned in the Water Of Life like a Leprous Puppy in a Bag.

Re: The Wire

Premieres 9/4 On Demand!
    Winter is Coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Fourthman
    Premieres 9/4 On Demand!
    I don't get any On Demand stuff. We've barely had DVRs for a year or so. My mother works for out local cable company. They're working on it. Maybe within the next year or so. I really want that. Especially for the HBO stuff.

--Alan
    Lava Lung podcast
    BLOG!
    MySpace

Quote Originally Posted by warrenellis
    You are Weak and shall be Drowned in the Water Of Life like a Leprous Puppy in a Bag.

Chiseler

I love The Wire! Best show on tv and it's a shame more people aren't watching it. The NY Post reviewed Season 4 and gave it a fantastic review.

Here's the review. No major spoilers in it..... I'll be back in a minute to post a great interview with David Simon where he talks about the issue of race and more.....

http://www.nypost.com/entertainment/...am_buckman.htm

RE-'WIRED'

By ADAM BUCKMAN

August 25, 2006 -- THIRTEEN hours ago, I was a different person.

That was before I sat down to watch all 13-plus hours of the upcoming fourth season of "The Wire," which gets under way Sunday, Sept. 10, on HBO.

I wasn't crazy enough to watch them all in one sitting, but for the better part of the past week, I have been immersed in this show, thanks to HBO taking the unusual step of providing the entire season's 13 episodes all at once.

The shows are so powerful - so well-written, acted, filmed and edited - that the experience of watching them has left me a complete wreck.

I am so blown away by this show that I will go out on a limb here to declare that these 13 episodes just might comprise the single finest piece of work ever produced for American TV.

With the exception of "Band of Brothers" in 2001 - also on HBO - I don't remember ever connecting quite this emotionally with a group of fictional characters on a TV show.

It's not just the show's familiar cast of cynical Baltimore police either, although fans of "The Wire" will delight in the return (after a 19-month absence) of Jimmy McNulty (Dominic West), Kima Greggs (Sonja Sohn), Bunk Moreland (Wendell Pierce), Lester Freamon (Clarke Peters), Lt. Daniels (Lance Reddick) and Sgt. Carver (Seth Gilliam).

This season, creator/executive producer David Simon and his writers have come up with something new. To their depiction of cops, criminals and the Baltimore city government, they have added a storyline about the public school system and the difficulties associated with teaching inner-city kids who often choose the corner drug trade over education.

To tell this story, the show's producers have cast a group of child actors whose performances are jaw-dropping - principally the actors who play four neighborhood friends who all attend the same middle school.

They are (for they deserve special recognition): Jermaine Crawford, age unavailable, as DuQuan; Tristan Wild, age unavailable, as Michael; Julito McCullum, 15, as Namond; and Maestro Harrell, 15, as Randy.

Where these four characters are concerned, a warning: If your heart breaks easily, then you might want to avoid watching "The Wire" altogether.

But if your heart can stand it, following the story of these four boys for 13 Sundays this fall will be one of the most rewarding experiences you've ever had watching TV.

Chiseler

Check this link. Great Q & A with the creator/producer David Simon....

http://members.aol.com/TheWireHBO/

I just started watching this show on HBO ON Demand (which HBO should get tons of credit for showing full seasons prior to the new one). I LOVE this show. I have no clue how I've missed it until now. This show does not get enough of the credit it deserves. It's very smart. And I'm only in the middle of season 2!

Can't wait for the new season. I'm not sure it's entirely a racial thing that is the reason folks don't watch it. If so, I'd imagine the 2nd season would've been much more popular and most folks think that one is the worst season.

But, regardless, people who aren't watching this are missing out on one of the best shows on TV.

I can't wait for this to start. I've been missing McNulty and Omar. I need my fix!

Plus the whole School District focus sounds really interesting.

yeah, that sounds awesome.

i hate that i have to wait for the dvds.

Stephen King's latest column in EWeekly is about the show. It should be on-line shortly.
    Winter is Coming.