BENDIS! Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I'm concerned... (Defenders)

Re: I'm concerned... (Defenders)

Quote Originally Posted by DeaconKole
    First off, Namor losing street cred is one of the oddest things I've ever heard concerning a comic book character. The first was, and i swear that this is an exact quote from someone I was ringing up at the shop, "I like Mr. Fantastic because he has a quiet dignity about him." This was thirty seconds after learning there was a character called Elongated Man.

Next, loosen up.
    The Sub-Mariner has mad cred.
    You go down to the east side, and if you want to gets the props, you just flash 'em the trident hand signal (like the east side E, only on it's side).

To be serious for a minute, about loosening up.
    I understand this is a really simple response when someone's geeking out about something, and I tend to think it myself more often than not, especially if it's something I don't care about.

I always try to rein it back in though, because it's even more ridiculous than the guy screaming about a character getting a hair cut.
    I mean, these are creative movements that have existed for many years, and provide entertainment. People are bound to be passionate about these things. The question is, why wouldn't someone care?

I mean, okay, stop caring about what they're doing in a COMIC BOOK.
    Sure, okay, let's stop caring about what they're doing on the TV SHOW, and by association, let's throw any interest in MOVIES out the window too.

Hey, there's a law enforcement officer battling an axe wielding criminal maniac. Jesus, if only those lilac bastards would learn to lighten up from time to time!
    It's just there laws, dude!

The true mark of an iconic, long-lasting character is the ability for different writers to showcase them in completely different ways. A comedic take on this group does not negate the possiblity of a serious take on them further down the line. I am a much greater fan of creators leaving their distinctive mark on a character than I am of strict, unwavering consistency and continuity.

I don't think there should be too much concern. Sure Giffen and Co. play up the laughs, but they also tell really good stories.

Also if I remember correctly I think Giffen said that the Surfer would not be in the mini too much. I think he just has a glorified cameo. (I think this was stated in Wizard, but I could be wrong)
    Facebook ID: Doug Hahner

I love the Defenders. My favorite super hero team and I am looking forward to the upcoming (mini)series...

Don't worry about the comedy. Here's what the creative team had to say over at the Defenders Message Board:

http://www.comicboards.com/defenders/view.php?trd=050102165250

http://www.comicboards.com/defenders/view.php?trd=041225012147

Cth

Yeah, as others have said, relax.

Remember early Defenders issues where Gerber had the Hulk eating beans? Spending all of Banner's money on hundreds of cans of beans while Valkyrie looked embarassed to be in line?

It is comedic. And you don't get more comedic than some fish guy with wings on his ankles. Easily Marvel's most ridiculous character.

Silver Surfer? Well, you need a straight man for comedy, and that's Surfer. He doesn't HAVE a sense of humor. He is very serious. Would you rather he crack jokes while Galactus ate planets?

Dr. Strange? Well, look at how he dresses. Easily mistaken for a children's party magician.

Hulk? All you have to do is hear him talk and his prediliction towards violence. He's a cartoon character basically.

It'll be fun.

I can't wait. If it's half as funny as what the guys at Wizard do with the Defenders in TTT, it'll be awesome.

Look forward to a very lame satire.

I've gone through the thread without making a single New Invaders joke. I'm very proud of myself.

its gonna be kick ass