BENDIS! Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I'm concerned... (Defenders)

Hybrid View

I'm concerned... (Defenders)

Obviously there's a shitload of comedic potential in the premise of the big four Defenders. Dysfunction is always a great source of comedy, and they don't come any more dysfunctional.

For those of you who don't know; Keith Giffen, JM DeMatteis and Kevin Maguire, the geniuses behind, most recently, I Can't Believe It's Not The Justice League, are heading up a new series of Defenders at Marvel.

The Defenders, for the further unintiated, are the unlikely combo of Hulk, Silver Surfer, Dr. Strange and the Sub-Mariner. Pretty much a quartet of loners, with perhaps the odd exception here and there.

They generally don't get along very well, and when they do, humanity seems to be reduced to slavery, so... maybe there's a silver lining here, but I can't help feeling concerned.

It's not secret that I'm a big Namor fan, and I'm also a huge Silver Surfer fan, and I love both of these characters in the best, most platonic way. I think they're two of the most interesting, and serious characters in the Marvel universe.

Silver Surfer is the ultimate faux-philisophical character with a body as cold as steel, but a heart of gold.
    I consider him one of the major players in the Marvel universe, and have been utterly disappointed with his hiatus, and further disappointed with his most recent series treatment. It really fell flat, which is a shame, because I actually enjoyed the on-going that came before it, prior to it's cancellation.

Namor, as everyone should know, was starring in the recently axed (and it's all your fault for not buying) New Invaders.
    He's a monarch, an absolute power house, and again, one of the most important characters in the Marvel universe. Somewhat mistreated here and there, but has had a pretty good run over the years.

Dr. Strange and the Hulk, also huge chunks of the so-called, 616.
    Make no mistake, I'm also big fans of these guys, but Silver Surfer and Namor are where my heart is, so I've nailed them to my point.

I'm just really concerned about taking these guys in the comedic route.
    Is this a safe option? Is this going to exponentially damage their characters? I mean, look what happened to Blue Beetle. Apparently history and breeding (Ditko) don't protect anyone from the marr of comedy.

So, are my concerns founded, or even shared?
    I look forward to the series a great deal, and have done since hearing the announcement, but I can't help but feel extremely nervous...

Re: I'm concerned... (Defenders)

They should have a story revolving around Rick Jones becoming leader of Hydra after claiming he kept the Defenders "inept" for years and then shooting the Hulk in the head......... with HILARIOUS results!!

Made

I'm looking forward to it. The more serious the character the more fun it will be. These guys even made Batman seem hilarious while still sounding like Batman.

Would have been a bigger Sub fan except for his Sue Richards obsession and Silver Surfer never interested me beyond the Trojan war story in PAD's incredible hulk. He had some truely great scenes in that one.

nervous about what?

If you like funny books, get it. If you don't, don't.

I will be for damn sure buying this. Their Justice League is one of my favorite runs of anything ever, and I think DC is FOOLISH to do what they did. A Giffen Dematteis Maguire Blue Beetle and Booster Gold ongoing would have been the best thing ever.

the defenders always crack my shit up in Twisted Toyfare Theater, and I think this is going to be even better.

PINK DEFENDERS!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jade
    I think Boris kicks ass... that's not a question... hell, that's not even an opinion. It's a statement of fact...

Quote Originally Posted by Boris the Blade
    PINK DEFENDERS!!!!!!!!
    Damn, you are talented. That is awesome.

dfw tx (fuck you texas haters! only texans can hate it! :x)

piss on your namor... i bet the silver surfer becomes queen of antlantis...

I can understand your concern, but I disagree. These characters are vastly different from Blue Beetle and Booster Gold. They, like you said, are powerhouses and even when handled in a comedic manner, have returned in a serious manner. While I think that Namor would be better suited in a book with the calibur of New Avengers, or a solo series where he actually grows as a character, I still think this book will do well and do nothing but make the characters look better when it's all over.

Namor should get his nipples pierced.... all I'm saying.

I'm cool with the comedy route.Their take on Namor is the one thing that could concern me.