BENDIS! Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bought/Thought - 05/03/06

Hybrid View

Bought/Thought - 05/03/06

Spoilers aplenty down below...

Don't wanna ruin anyone's comics....

I'm not using any hidden tags...just warning ya!

HUGE week, with Civil War #1 & Infinite Crisis #7 both dropping, damn it's a good week to be a comics fan.

Civil War #1 - 9/10 - Wow...what a bang to kick start what looks like a great series. So many incredible moments already.. Johnny getting hit in the head with a bottle, Captain America kicking everyone's ass and surfing away on a fighter jet, and Joey Q's "favorite hero" Speedball finally gets murdered much to his approval i'm sure. This is gonna be one hell or a roller coaster, and i'm on board for the ride!

Fury: Peacemaker #4 - 7.5/10 - This is Garth Ennis doing what he does best telling war stories and history from the little guy's eyes. Not enough Fury for me in this issue, but it was interesting getting a German perspective on World War II as well as more backstory on Barkhorn. Will Nick still try to kill him knowing that he's attempting to kill Hitler?

Infinite Crisis #7 - 10/10 - It really doesn't get any better than this, just so many incredible moments. DC really knocked it out of the park with IC, and Johns has really elevated himself with this story. The last few scenes were just shocking with the Joker & Lex attacking Alex and SHOOTING HIM IN THE FACE! And Superboy imprisoned in Oa..carving an "S" on his chest in blood...powerful stuff. The Splash Pages kicked ass, the fights were incredible, just the whole book, cover to cover....outstanding.

Punisher #33 - 8/10 - Punsiher vs Barracuda mano-y-mano...what a fuckin BRAWL! The artist change has kind of hurt this book, i'm missin Leandro Fernandez's insanely gory detail...but Garth Ennis brings the writing punch no matter what.

Teen Titans #35 - 6.5/10 - I wanted to drop this book, but i'm still slightly interested in what's going on, but i'll probably drop it anyway after this arc, i'm just not very interested in these characters anymore.

Ultimate Spider-Man #94 - 8.5/10 - "Wadey"...HA! What was wrong with just Wade? How many grown men would call themselves Wadey? This Deadpool is like an un-funny more cowardly version of 616 Deadpool...with a GODDAMN uglier face! Can't wait to see him back. The ending was great too, Aunt May got seduced by a vampire...HA!
    Last edited by SolidGoldBomb; 05-03-2006 at 07:39 PM.

Re: Bought/Thought - 05/03/06

infinite crisis #7 -10/10
    civil war#1 6/10 only because i've seen most of it already online.Nothing about this issue surprised me.I might wait for the trade too many issues to look for/keep track of.
    Don't do it Ninja... Don't!!!!

Don't waste all of your energy on stealth you still need to penetrate the chest plates.

Xbox tag BronxRonin

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endid=48568684

http://web.mac.com/bronxronin1/iWeb/...20Cricket.html
    http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17l7...f/original.gif

Most Likely Spoilers Below:

Infinite Crisis #7:

What the hell was that. There was WAY too much going on for me even to follow. All this shit was happening, and I didn't care one bit. The Nightwing thing shocked me, but then he was fine....and half the people getting killed were people I had no clue who the hell they were.

And what was Klarion the witch boy and shining knight doing there (were they in earlier parts....does 7 soldiers have anything to do with Infinite Crisis..?)

this mini gave me more questions than answers and has damn near pushed me from the DCU all over again. thank god for the WW reboot, and Aquaman, otherwise, DC wouldn't get any of my money.

Civil War #1: Amazing. Surprising. Breathtaking.

Detective Comics 819: I really liked the first two parts, but since then, meh...I think I am once again doing my 'no more batman' stuff (other than Paul Pope's book, which is like a breath of fresh air)

Exterminators #5: Crazy, insane. over the top. And the final page had me laughing so hard. I can't wait to see what the next arc brings.

Atomika #7: Boy did I miss this title. Atomika and his son, Chernobyl spend many a year together.....until something dreadful happens......Love the artwork, and the story was amazing. The way it went full circle to the way it began has me curious to where the next 5 parts will lead.

Koni Waves #1: A surprisingly good suspense/action story with a Hawaiian female who kicks ass and takes names. Adding this to my sub list.

Mouse Guard #2: We are introduced to 'Sadie', a kick ass mouse who is sent on a mission to find out why one of the Guard has not been reporting back from his remote outpost. Suspense and Danger, an amazing battle with enemies, wow this book is amazing. And a mystery mouse in the shadows....who can it be...? Time will tell....

Wormwood, Gentleman Corpse: The Taster #0:

Ben Templesmith gives us this surpsrising funny story of an animated corpse and his robot drinking buddy. The whole adventure takes place in a strip club that also doubles as a guard to a dimensional window. When the strip club patrons start having violent possessions take ahold of them, it is up to Wormwood, and his inimitable sense of dead-pan comedy, hilarious one liners, and a little bit of ass-kickery. This one shot sold me on the upcoming series right away. Can't wait for more.

Not Yet Read:

Sandman Mystery Theater
    Sam and Twich Collection
    Punisher
    Noble Boy One Shot
    Rocketo #7
    Last edited by Shwicaz; 05-03-2006 at 04:46 PM.

Infinite Crisis #7 - 3/10 - and I think I'm being a tad too generous here. Too much going on at once...that's the biggest complaint I've had with this series. I've liked most of what I've read in the previous 6 issues, this just fell SO flat for me. I thought after reading the Villians United special that we were getting something a little more heroes vs villians action. However, that is just totally wasted here. This issue ruined the whole series for me and Geoff Johns has been knocked down a few pegs to me. BTW, I'm a huge DC and Johns fan, so I'm upset that I didn't like this at all. Very confusing all around.

Spoiler:
    What did those two kids find at the beach???

Quote Originally Posted by DJizzle
    Infinite Crisis #7 -
    Spoiler:
    What did those two kids find at the beach???
    Spoiler:
    Years ago DC did a few 5th week elseworlds events where creators took the titles of DC comics & created new concepts to fo with them, They called the event TANGENT. One of them was Green Lantern. She was an asian woman who had something to do with death & she showed up in IC #6 as being from one of Alex Luthor's alternate earth. I think it's in IC#7 to introduce certan elseworlds ideas to the "New Earth" DC universe.
    Quote Originally Posted by I Heart John Galt
    i also heart brian defferding

Crom, I have never prayed to you before. I have no tongue for it. No one, not even you, will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that two stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Crom... so grant me one request. Grant me revenge! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!

Civil War #1 suffers from the same thing HoM did: Everything about it was revealed in the hype leading up to the series. Ron, if you thought anything about Issue #1 was suprising you must not have read any of the hype at all.
    Story & Execution I give a 2, art I give a 8.75.

F.N. Spider-man #8 - Kickass! A great start for what seems like an interesting story.
    Quote Originally Posted by I Heart John Galt
    i also heart brian defferding

Crom, I have never prayed to you before. I have no tongue for it. No one, not even you, will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that two stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Crom... so grant me one request. Grant me revenge! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!

Quote Originally Posted by artimoff
    Civil War #1 suffers from the same thing HoM did: Everything about it was revealed in the hype leading up to the series. Ron, if you thought anything about Issue #1 was suprising you must not have read any of the hype at all.
    Story & Execution I give a 2, art I give a 8.75.

F.N. Spider-man #8 - Kickass! A great start for what seems like an interesting story.
    That's how i feel...i saw it all either online or in ads.No real surprise...too much hype
    I love the art.
    Don't do it Ninja... Don't!!!!

Don't waste all of your energy on stealth you still need to penetrate the chest plates.

Xbox tag BronxRonin

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endid=48568684

http://web.mac.com/bronxronin1/iWeb/...20Cricket.html
    http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17l7...f/original.gif

Quote Originally Posted by artimoff
    Ron, if you thought anything about Issue #1 was suprising you must not have read any of the hype at all.

That is exactly what I did. I avoided all that shit.

Judging by everyone complaining that 'they knew everything', I obviously made the right decision.

Let this be a lession to you all. If you want to enjoy a story, don't read all about it on message boards and in Wizard.

Quote Originally Posted by Shwicaz
    And what was Klarion the witch boy and shining knight doing there (were they in earlier parts....does 7 soldiers have anything to do with Infinite Crisis..?)
    There was a reference to IC in one of the recent SSOV issues. Basically, the Sheeda took advantage of the onset of the crisis to start attacking when the majority of the world's heroes were busy with other issues.

However, the appearance of Klarion, Shining Knight, and Bulleteer in IC#7 seem to narrow the choices of which soldier will die in SSOV#1.
    "I'll try to get you laid, it's the least I can do. But I'm not a miracle worker!" - BENDIS! to ItsDLEVY via podcast.

now blogging at jewschool.com

Quote Originally Posted by itsdlevy
    There was a reference to IC in one of the recent SSOV issues. Basically, the Sheeda took advantage of the onset of the crisis to start attacking when the majority of the world's heroes were busy with other issues.

However, the appearance of Klarion, Shining Knight, and Bulleteer in IC#7 seem to narrow the choices of which soldier will die in SSOV#1.
    frankenstein and guardian were there too!