BENDIS! Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Battle for Bludhaven #1 (WTF?!?!?!) SPOILERS!!!

The Battle for Bludhaven #1 (WTF?!?!?!) SPOILERS!!!

I keep trying to read DC books. I have to admit that despite my ribbing on Infinite Crisis, some books/concepts/ideas have caused me to want to further explore the DCU.

Looking forward to the Spectre mini coming up, following up events from gotham central.

I am digging Aquaman. (Never ever thought I would hear myself say that)

And can't wait for the WW relaunch.

The bombing of Bludhaven was one of those things that made me think "OH SHIT! What's gonna happen there NOW?"

Well, this book, labeled an 'Infinite Crisis Aftermat' and that bugged me. because really, the book would have been better served by having a 1 YEAR LATER symbol on the front, because the first few pages show us an aftermath, but then the book jumps ahead a year for the remaining 3/4 of the story.

Anyway, that's a minor quibble.

I can honestly say that this book is the reason why I don't read DC.

They introduced the corniest team around (and not only that, apparently they were 'new' members of a team that is most likely in DC continuity).

So, while I understand they are the new versions of older characters, I have to ask WHY THE HELL ARE THEY SO FUCKING CORNY??

Dude--

there's a chick who dresses up like the statue of liberty. The team leader's name is MAJOR VICTORY who wears a red white and blue outfit (with black, also), and another dude, whose name escapes me, that has stars all over his outfit.

The other guys name is SILENT MAJORITY and he can teleport, and although he speaks, you can't really see his mouth. it's obsured by this kind of black mouthpiece similar to the design on the upcoming ION series.

*I know you are going to say 'that's no cornier than 'captain america' who dresses up with stars and stripes and a red white and blue shield'....and you would be right, and I laughed at that shit, too, when I was a kid, so allow me to laugh at this shit when I am an adult.

So, anyway, it gets better (or is it worse) when some robot guy (who the fuck is he, now?) goes "THE FORCE OF JULY....? I THOUGHT THEY DIED"

To which, the lady with the statue of liberty get up (complete with that spiked tiara thing and a torch! ) says: "THE OLD 'FORCE OF JULY' IS DEAD. WE'RE FREEDOM'S RING."

And the image of her accompanying the dialogue has her throwing her fist up as she says it.

For those of you who missed what I am laughing at, let me restate why in bullet points:

*there is a chick dressed like the statue of liberty, named LADY LIBERTY, who appears to want to fist her way through your freedom ring, after the force of july couldn't do it.

*Silent Majority appears to have no mouth, but since he talks, he isn't really 'silent', is he?

*THE FORCE OF JULY/FREEDOM'S RING HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Then the majority of them got killed by THE NUCLEAR LEGION.

And at the end of the issue, who showed up but THE ATOMIC KNIGHTS!!!

(no, really, I mean WHO SHOWED UP?) thank god they told me who they were, because I thought someone had taken a suit of armor from the days of the knights, and then took the OMAC design, put it in a blender, and poured out (blended) the design I saw before me.

I wasn't sure if it was intentionally funny (like Slither) or if it was unintentionally funny (like Showgirls or Queen of the Damned).

Either way, I might come back next issue if it promises more laughs like these, but beyond that.....

did anyone else feel the same way as I did.

I felt like there was w-a-y too much introduced all at once. People may laugh at Marvel and say things like "the write decompressed", but DC books seem to suffer from overcompression.

Half the impact of Infinite Crisis is going right over my head, because way too much is happening every issue, and I don't know who half these people are, and there is no effort to bother explaining who they are for the non/new DC reader.

And the same happens here, the nuclear legion is a bad group of villains, but at first I thought they were connected to 'the legion of super heroes' or something, just because they had the name legion (yeah I am lame)

And again, the deaths. Jesus. It amazes me how Bendis gets screamed at for years because of like 3-5 deaths in comics, but here I am seeing people get melted, impaled, and skewered.

That's all this infinite crisis seems to me, a big, universe spanning culling and killing of a bunch of DC heroes, just so they can throw someone else new into the mantle. THIS is DC's attempt to ultimatize their books, but not do it in a seperate universe. Instead, they killed off some of their heroes, and will now relaunch them, and redefine them.

They did it with Donna Troy, Green Lantern (both Hal Jordan, and now Kyle becomes ION), Wonder Woman is getting a big reboot, Blue Beetle got shot in the head, but that's ok, because now there is some teenager w/ that mantle...sort of like what we did with Firestorm.... Batman (1 year later) sets up a brand new status quo in which batman begins (again) with James Gordon back as commissioner.

So, yeah, I think, while IC and its' specials/aftermaths/tie ins might be interesting, it really served as a 300 dollar excuse to make their characters appear as contemporary as their new logo.

But, God Help Me, I'll still be buying it!!

Re: The Battle for Bludhaven #1 (WTF?!?!?!) SPOILERS!!!

And while I like Giffen I don't see the new Firestorm or Blue Beetle sustaining themselves for very long.

I wasn't going to buy this, but your description has me intrigued.

I'm running the NYC Marathon to raise money for Autism Speaks! Info Here! Donate Here!

oh and TOO LONG...I had to skim and scan.

I flipped through this and all I thought was "Hey - here's DC's attempt at Nextwave"! And then I put it back on the shelf. Having read Ron's review, I think I made the right move.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim T.
    I flipped through this and all I thought was "Hey - here's DC's attempt at Nextwave"! And then I put it back on the shelf. Having read Ron's review, I think I made the right move.
    A portion of the events he described seemed to transpire in Infinite Crisis. I remember Uncle Sam and all those older heroes getting killed and blown up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim T.
    give it a shot, you may enjoy it. I just found it funny.

there is a much more serious discussion of the issue (and much more appreciateive of it too) over at newsarama's talk@ forum (inthe DC section) if you want an opposite viewpoint.

This looked really lame. I've liked almost everything I've read in the MAIN titles One Year Later. DC should just focus on making their 20 core books readable. All the minis and junk are just clutter that brings the line down.

This book was pretty crappy. I loved the concept, and having the Monolith show up was awesome, but the rest?
    Join the Prime-Punch revolution!
    http://www.606studios.com/bendisboar...ead.php?210786

Spoiler:

Buy The Gathering!

www.grayhavencomics.com

Quote Originally Posted by Teth-Magnus
    This book was pretty crappy. I loved the concept, and having the Monolith show up was awesome, but the rest?
    I completely agree....it just seemed randomn to me...