Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Thing --wait for it-- Rocks.

The Thing --wait for it-- Rocks.

There are comics I buy simply to tread water...to figure out what's going on here and there so that I can understand a larger, company-wide crossover; there are comics that I buy because they struggle to elevate the art form away from superheroism, books like Y: the Last Man and a lot of Ellis' books; and then there's The Thing.

I read the Thing because it's a comic very much in the mold of Ben Grim. It knows exactly what it is, and even though it's set in a universe filled with flashier, more dramatic, and more iconic books, it maintains its unique charm by never being too ashamed of itself to help out those who need it. And I am am one comic fan who seriously needed this book. With the all-you-can-angst buffet that has recently opened in most major titles, it is so refreshing to have at least one that understands "big events" in a character's life don't always have to include death and despair.

"Big events" can be happy, too, like when Ben got a new pet, learned a valuable lesson about wealth, and shared a picnic lunch with his family in issue #4. Things like that, they're moments that people remember, whether we're talking about fictional characters or not. Nothing lasts forever, even in the world of comics, and when we lose someone or something we care about, it's the good times that always rise to the surface of our memories.

Therefor, making sure that there's plenty of fun times and lighthearted moments that scream "comic book" as a warcry rather than an apology are twice as important as reminding people that bad things happen. Bad things will always happen. That cannot be avoided. But it's the good times and the hope of good times to come that keeps us turning the pages. The good times roll in The Thing, and they show no signs of gathering moss.

Rube

Re: The Thing --wait for it-- Rocks.

As I've raved about elsewhere, issue 4 is a truly great read. In one issue, you get to see the poignancy, humour and strength of Ben Grimm's character. It should win an Eisner!

Trouble Boy

Quote Originally Posted by Dreg
    "Big events" can be happy, too, like when Ben got a new pet, learned a valuable lesson about wealth, and shared a picnic lunch with his family in issue #4. Things like that, they're moments that people remember, whether we're talking about fictional characters or not. Nothing lasts forever, even in the world of comics, and when we lose someone or something we care about, it's the good times that always rise to the surface of our memories.
    Agreed. I stopped following both X-Men and E.R. after realizing I had spent years waiting for them to have just one good day. Yes, the Stan Lee model is that not everything goes right for a character; but that doesn't mean that everything has to go wrong.

I love the Thing. He's the greatest superhero ever created. I was so happy that a monthly Thing comic started again.
    --J. R.

Senior Monster

When I was first starting to read comics as a kid Thing was the character I loved the most. I always thought he should be a solo character, he just seems to work better on his own.

And Dan, Ben needs his cigar back!

Any guesses as to whether this book will see trades or digests? (And when?)
    "I'll try to get you laid, it's the least I can do. But I'm not a miracle worker!" - BENDIS! to ItsDLEVY via podcast.

now blogging at jewschool.com

I've loved what I've read so far. I enjoy see a humorous side of many of the Marvel characters. It is great.

Quote Originally Posted by Thudpucker
    When I was first starting to read comics as a kid Thing was the character I loved the most. I always thought he should be a solo character, he just seems to work better on his own.
    Yeah, I think one of my favorite single issues of FF is when Ben saved Yancy street from the Wrecker.

You know I missed out on She Hulk the first time around because I wasn't really into a comedy book atm. Then came everyone I knew who was reading it telling me that I had to read it and how great it was. So I went ot go get it but then felt that it was too far in to jump on now. But I saw a torrent of the first 12 issues online and downloaded it and read it over the night. Called up my LCS the next day and ordered the trades. Now The thing is one of my Fav marvel chars I'm sure if I was keeping score he'd be in the top 5 and I LOVE Dans take on him It's just a fun Superhero Romp with just the right amount of serious moments to offset the jokes. My fear is that this book will be canned due to low sales I don't have any hard Figures but my understanding is that it's one of the bottom 5 Books. I hope Marvel keeps ehind this book for a long time to Come I don't care if they start printing it on lower Quailty paper to cut down costs but I think this book should be a staple in Marvels line.

I was a little on the fence about this title- in that I wasn't sure if it was ONE of my favorite Marvel titles, or my FAVORITE Marvel title. After reading the Lockjaw issue (LOCKJAW!), it is completely and totally the latter.

Dan, never leave this book. Ever.
    "I have misplaced my pants." ~Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    I hate you.