BENDIS! Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Thread: Testament #2

Testament #2

As promised a few weeks ago in the review thread, here's the place to discuss Testament, and in particular what's going on with the Bible in the comic.

Let me start out by saying I was incredibly unimpressed with this second issue, and if the third isn't handled better, I'm out. My issue was that the entire parallel was spoon-fed to us. Now I recognize that I'm somewhat more conversant with Bible stories than perhaps the average Vertigo reader, but I really do think the story of Lot and Soddom & Gemorrah is well known enough that we didn't need to see every panel of it, just to understand that the "future story" followed it exactly, panel for panel, word for word. I much rather would have had twice as much future story with just flashes of the Bible stuff, but that's me.

I'm a little torn about how Doug Rushkoff chose to interpret the Sodom story as well. The stereotypical reading of the story is to assume the debauchery of Sodom is about gay sex. The literal reading of the story reveals that the sin of Sodom was inhospitality. Rushkoff gives us both (TWICE, in case we didn't get the main conceit of the book...)... That's the wimp's way around having to assert an interpretation, especially given that it's clear from the story that the treatment of strangers is the crucial element that separates the street thugs from the heroes of the book.

That's my take... What do others thing?
    "I'll try to get you laid, it's the least I can do. But I'm not a miracle worker!" - BENDIS! to ItsDLEVY via podcast.

now blogging at jewschool.com

Re: Testament #2

bump?
    "I'll try to get you laid, it's the least I can do. But I'm not a miracle worker!" - BENDIS! to ItsDLEVY via podcast.

now blogging at jewschool.com

I agree that there was a drop in quality in this issue. I just didn't enjoy it as much as I did the first one. I'll give the third issue a shot, to see if it was just a bump in the road, but otherwise I'm dropping it.

I don't know, this issue really seemed better than the first to me. The characters just seemed better fleshed out, and the allegory less heavy-handed.
    Join the Prime-Punch revolution!
    http://www.606studios.com/bendisboar...ead.php?210786

Spoiler:

Buy The Gathering!

www.grayhavencomics.com

I'm going to pick up first trade, I'd like to read the first arc thru in one shot. I think this is the kind of book that will be alot more enjoyable that way.