davidmackkabuki Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kabuki German Portfolio

10%On a crumbling pedestal called the bible.

Kabuki German Portfolio

Hi David, I'm just wondering about the Kabuki Portfolio, how many were made and whatnot.
    How much is it currently going for?
    what pics are in it?
    Thanks

Chiseler

Re: Kabuki German Portfolio

Hi. I'm not not David, obviously, but I bought one of these portfolio sets and I can honesty say it's one best things I've ever purchased. I love it. It's absolutely amazing. It' beautiful. It's cool. It's crazy. It's in German. I have about 9 of the prints framed and hanging, and they are awesome. They're phenomenal conversation pieces. First off the art is kick ass. It collects prints of the page in the second volume "Dreams." Which I think was David's first painted story. I'm not sure but I'm sure someone on this board could verify that. It also has several cover and other prints. But virtually everytime people come over my apartment for the first time They can't help but notice the prints hanging up. And usually before they leave they walk around and take a look at each one of them. They just soak them in.

The second thing is practically 90% of the text is written in German. So after reading the Dreams comic several times over you'll pretty much know the whole story and most of the dialogue, well actually it's more narrative than dialogue. But anyway when some of your friends or guests are over and they're checking them out they inevitably say "What is this? 'I can't read this? 'Is this German?" This is where I slide up to the inquisitive young lass and smoothly say "Why yes. It is German." You then proceed to to give them the jist of the story and so on. And boy let me tell ya. They just eat it up. They love it. Well actually they usually just end up saying "You don't speak Germannnn!" and I say "No. I don't speak German but I do read comic books and as the endearingly forward Austin Powers so eloquently stated 'Shall we shag now or shag later."
    Works everytime. Everytime. We then retreat to my love nook. And that my friend is precisely when my alarm clock sounds off snapping me back to reality and setting me back on the treadmill to resume my mundane existance. But as I get up and on my way to the shower I pass a framed Dreams print and for a split second. For just a moment I'm instantly transported back to that night, to one of many nights when I got to share the magic that is when someone takes an interest in Mack's work. And the bond you make when you find someone has similar intrests and can appreciate the same things as you. And you see in them what you felt when you saw Mack's art for the first time. Where you see that twinkle in their eye, as they soak it all in and say "That's so cool." or "Simply beautiful" or or "Absoultely breathtaking" or just "Wow...You hang comic book art on your wall? You're a bigger geek than I thought." No but seriously 98.3% of the people that come over are so intrigued by it. In fact I've given about 1/3 of my prints away because people end up flippinng through the rest of the portfolio and want one. Sorry Dave, at the time I was happy to spread the art of Mack but now that I think about it I think it might have cost you a couple portfolio sales. But then again, I just might have spawned a few new Kabuki fans.

Well to get back on track and to try and answer your question (dang tangents I'm always falling into), I believe the first run was limited to 990 portfolios. According to the signed card in mine I have #189 outta 990. But I thought I read a while back that they were going to reissue them because the first printing sold out. And I hope they did or soon will. Because like I said I gave a bunch away and I would love to have a complete set. I like to change them around every year or so and put some new ones up. I thought I recall reading somewhere that they would be around $50. Which if that's true that's a great price. I paid $100 for my set about 2 or 3 years ago. But it's been worth every penny. Again I'm sure someone else here might be able to verify that. Perhaps Mr. David Thornton our resident Mackologist. Then again perhaps not. I guess only time will tell.

But alas I've rambled on for way way wayyy too long. However, I really don't even need to admit that because I seriously doubt anyone would have the attention span or interest to read down this far in a post where the answers to your questions could have easily been summed up in 3 succinct sentences nevermind dozens of run-on ones. It's so long infact that I've forgotten most of your questions also I'm too tired to even bother to go back and proof read, grammar check and/or spell check my lil ol' post. So I apologize if it made no sense at all. Secondly I'd like to apologize if it did make sense. Thirdly I'd like to apologize for unnessarilly apologizing, I know it was totally uncalled for, I'm sorry it won't happen again. Lastly I saw Kung Fu Hustle tonight and it was friggin' awesome! Enough babble, Back to Life Back 2 ReAlity.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadMike
    Hi. I'm not not David, obviously, but I bought one of these portfolio sets and I can honesty say it's one best things I've ever purchased. I love it. It's absolutely amazing. It' beautiful. It's cool. It's crazy. It's in German. I have about 9 of the prints framed and hanging, and they are awesome. They're phenomenal conversation pieces. First off the art is kick ass. It collects prints of the page in the second volume "Dreams." Which I think was David's first painted story. I'm not sure but I'm sure someone on this board could verify that. It also has several cover and other prints. But virtually everytime people come over my apartment for the first time They can't help but notice the prints hanging up. And usually before they leave they walk around and take a look at each one of them. They just soak them in.

The second thing is practically 90% of the text is written in German. So after reading the Dreams comic several times over you'll pretty much know the whole story and most of the dialogue, well actually it's more narrative than dialogue. But anyway when some of your friends or guests are over and they're checking them out they inevitably say "What is this? 'I can't read this? 'Is this German?" This is where I slide up to the inquisitive young lass and smoothly say "Why yes. It is German." You then proceed to to give them the jist of the story and so on. And boy let me tell ya. They just eat it up. They love it. Well actually they usually just end up saying "You don't speak Germannnn!" and I say "No. I don't speak German but I do read comic books and as the endearingly forward Austin Powers so eloquently stated 'Shall we shag now or shag later."
    Works everytime. Everytime. We then retreat to my love nook. And that my friend is precisely when my alarm clock sounds off snapping me back to reality and setting me back on the treadmill to resume my mundane existance. But as I get up and on my way to the shower I pass a framed Dreams print and for a split second. For just a moment I'm instantly transported back to that night, to one of many nights when I got to share the magic that is when someone takes an interest in Mack's work. And the bond you make when you find someone has similar intrests and can appreciate the same things as you. And you see in them what you felt when you saw Mack's art for the first time. Where you see that twinkle in their eye, as they soak it all in and say "That's so cool." or "Simply beautiful" or or "Absoultely breathtaking" or just "Wow...You hang comic book art on your wall? You're a bigger geek than I thought." No but seriously 98.3% of the people that come over are so intrigued by it. In fact I've given about 1/3 of my prints away because people end up flippinng through the rest of the portfolio and want one. Sorry Dave, at the time I was happy to spread the art of Mack but now that I think about it I think it might have cost you a couple portfolio sales. But then again, I just might have spawned a few new Kabuki fans.

Well to get back on track and to try and answer your question (dang tangents I'm always falling into), I believe the first run was limited to 990 portfolios. According to the signed card in mine I have #189 outta 990. But I thought I read a while back that they were going to reissue them because the first printing sold out. And I hope they did or soon will. Because like I said I gave a bunch away and I would love to have a complete set. I like to change them around every year or so and put some new ones up. I thought I recall reading somewhere that they would be around $50. Which if that's true that's a great price. I paid $100 for my set about 2 or 3 years ago. But it's been worth every penny. Again I'm sure someone else here might be able to verify that. Perhaps Mr. David Thornton our resident Mackologist. Then again perhaps not. I guess only time will tell.

But alas I've rambled on for way way wayyy too long. However, I really don't even need to admit that because I seriously doubt anyone would have the attention span or interest to read down this far in a post where the answers to your questions could have easily been summed up in 3 succinct sentences nevermind dozens of run-on ones. It's so long infact that I've forgotten most of your questions also I'm too tired to even bother to go back and proof read, grammar check and/or spell check my lil ol' post. So I apologize if it made no sense at all. Secondly I'd like to apologize if it did make sense. Thirdly I'd like to apologize for unnessarilly apologizing, I know it was totally uncalled for, I'm sorry it won't happen again. Lastly I saw Kung Fu Hustle tonight and it was friggin' awesome! Enough babble, Back to Life Back 2 ReAlity.

Well said!!!

Thanks for that. Great story too.

These are incredible. they are limited to 990 made. I think in 1999. By Infinity Verlag. The premier German publishing house. They translated and published all the Kabuki books in German at the time.

There has not been a re-issue of this. Just the original 990. And at the time the RETAIL price was $120. So if you got it for less than that, you really lucked out.

I forget the size but these are like between 2 and 3 ft high. It comes in a red case with a beatiful woven texture and big Japanese characters that say Kabuki on the lid vertically.

It collects the 48 pages of the first Dreams paperback which is the TWO first painted comics I EVER did. The Kabuki color special, and Kabuki: Dreams of the Dead.
    And besides those 2 stories, there are also like ten of the most iconic Kabuki covers as prints as well included as well.

And I think each one wieghs about ten pounds. Because I carried ten of them with me from Germany.

When the publisher first met me at the airptort and showed me this portfolio in the underground airport parking lot I was stunned. These are amazing,.

And the brain child of Infinity Verlag Publisher Marius Kessler.

They must be pretty rare by now, so you may want to get them if you see it.

I know some retailers buy it and instead of selling it as a set, sell the 50 plus pages seperately for a fortune. Retailing at $120 this is the best deal I've seen on something this large and impressive.

You could easily sell a few of the prints seperately and recoup your expense.

And I love the conversation piece stories
    davidmack.com & davidmackguide.com (updated daily with news)

Quote Originally Posted by MACK!
    Well said!!!

Thanks for that. Great story too.

These are incredible. they are limited to 990 made. I think in 1999. By Infinity Verlag. The premier German publishing house. They translated and published all the Kabuki books in German at the time.

There has not been a re-issue of this. Just the original 990. And at the time the RETAIL price was $120. So if you got it for less than that, you really lucked out.

I forget the size but these are like between 2 and 3 ft high. It comes in a red case with a beatiful woven texture and big Japanese characters that say Kabuki on the lid vertically.

It collects the 48 pages of the first Dreams paperback which is the TWO first painted comics I EVER did. The Kabuki color special, and Kabuki: Dreams of the Dead.
    And besides those 2 stories, there are also like ten of the most iconic Kabuki covers as prints as well included as well.

And I think each one wieghs about ten pounds. Because I carried ten of them with me from Germany.

When the publisher first met me at the airptort and showed me this portfolio in the underground airport parking lot I was stunned. These are amazing,.

And the brain child of Infinity Verlag Publisher Marius Kessler.

They must be pretty rare by now, so you may want to get them if you see it.

I know some retailers buy it and instead of selling it as a set, sell the 50 plus pages seperately for a fortune. Retailing at $120 this is the best deal I've seen on something this large and impressive.

You could easily sell a few of the prints seperately and recoup your expense.

And I love the conversation piece stories

Well said, ok I'm gonna get the one that was offered to me.
    I had heard the rumor of reissue and I wanted to hear from the top and I did.
    and if you make it to Toronto maybe I can persuade you to sign it.
    Thanks, David.

Ted.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadMike

Post of the night right here people.
    Thanks Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by the last ronin
    Well said, ok I'm gonna get the one that was offered to me.
    I had heard the rumor of reissue and I wanted to hear from the top and I did.
    and if you make it to Toronto maybe I can persuade you to sign it.
    Thanks, David.

Ted.
    I'll be happy to sign it.

Good teamwork.

Wow. That sounds like something I'd love to have. I have a whole house that needs decorating!

I guess I have to start hunting!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Yano
    Wow. That sounds like something I'd love to have. I have a whole house that needs decorating!

I guess I have to start hunting!!!
    Hey I love your blog/site!

Always entertaining!

I do have a few of these German portfolios left. I never bring them to cons because they are so big.

But I'll have dozens of 11x17 prints to choose from at all the cons I attend.

Quote Originally Posted by MACK! View Post
    Hey I love your blog/site!

Always entertaining!

I do have a few of these German portfolios left. I never bring them to cons because they are so big.

But I'll have dozens of 11x17 prints to choose from at all the cons I attend.
    I have been bringing some of these to the cons that I was able to drive to.
    I had them at Chicago and Dragon Con last year, and they were a big hit the last couple of years.

I have a few left, but other than that they are pretty rare.

Chiseler

Ha! Looks like Mr. Mack is time travelling five years into the past to the year 2005 with all of these ressurected posts.

I completely forgot about my portfolio post. But I still have several hanging up and still get comments and compliments on it to this day.

Also I got the Alchemy special edition hardcover for Christmas and thanks David for printing one of e-mails in your Best Of Letters section. That was pretty awesome.

Is your con schedule bringing you to MegaCon this March?

Thanks for all you do. Really looking forward to Electric Ant.