BENDIS! Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: I Dont Get It: Why Is Mark Millar So Popular As A Writer?

Re: I Dont Get It: Why Is Mark Millar So Popular As A Writer?

i'm not a big fan of millar, but i pick up some of his stuff from time to time. i didn't care much for the MKSM run but Chosen was an excellent read IMO. as for what the appeal is, i'm not too sure.

But he already said he read those books.

Really, people, is it such a shock when someone doesn't like your favorite writer that you have to act like chickens-with-their-heads-cut-off? Talk about silly...

Quote Originally Posted by antithesis
    as for what the appeal is, i'm not too sure.
    What's not to be sure...? He blows up shit up real good, he writers witty dialogue, he does politics. Sounds like all the right stuff to be a popular writer.

I was hugely disappointed in his work on MK Spider-man. And, lately, I've found his writing to fall back on too many of his old tricks (similar to Bendis and his occasionally drawn out writing, which could use an editor at times). But when he's at his best...I mean, Ultimates really is his opus. What a fantastic book.

I don't get it. What the hell is this thread all about?

:sarcasim:

Banned

But I'm really wondering. I'm not knocking Millar. Like I said, he seems like a cool guy (although I'm not sure I would really want to hang out with him on a regular basis if he's usually as drunk or plastered as I hear him say he usually is.). I'm sure I would enjoy speaking to him very much. But I just dont see why people go all ga ga over his writing. His MK Spider-Man, it just had to many out of character moments and stupid behavior. It was painful to read at times, it was like one of those movies you watch where you just want to smack the characters on screen for being so dam stupid. I could see if people consider his comics to be entertaining, but that's just about it. But when I hear people list him as one of the great comic writers, or one of the greatest, or along with Moore, or Gaiman, etc, it's just, well, it boggles this mind. Dan Slott is a very entertaining writer (IMO, and many other opinions I hear\read.), but he knows how to write entertaining and fun (an element that seems to be very scarce at the big two these days.) comics without resorting to unnecessary\inappropriate sex\sexual dialogue, fart jokes, etc. It's not exactly the kind of writing that you expect from a comic book professional.

millar fucking rules!!!!!!

that is all

His MK Spidey was really bad. I didn't care for his take on Ultimate X-Men and didn't feel like Unfunnies was going to be anything from the first issue... but his Wolverine was pure summer blockbuster fun, Ultimates is good, Wanted is good, Chosen is good, his Authority wasn't bad. He's not a bad writer... he's just not right for some projects. Like any creative person, I might add.
    --Dewey

Quote Originally Posted by Kefky
    But he already said he read those books.

Really, people, is it such a shock when someone doesn't like your favorite writer that you have to act like chickens-with-their-heads-cut-off? Talk about silly...

I imagine they're defending him because the thread is called "Why Is Mark Millar So Popular As A Writer?"

But hey, I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by WinstonWolf
    Why Is Mark Millar So Popular As A Writer?
    Latent homosexuality.

The innocent have been seduced!