BENDIS! Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: I Dont Get It: Why Is Mark Millar So Popular As A Writer?

Banned

I Dont Get It: Why Is Mark Millar So Popular As A Writer?

Not to diss Mr. Millar as a person, he seems like a very nice man, a cool and good guy. But as a writer? As a comic writer at least, he is terrible. His writing is all shock and no substance. I know that this is kind of like the thing these days, and that gimmicks sell more than good writing (not to say that gimmicks necessariyl contain bad writing, many of them are quite good.), but I have no idea why someone like Kevin Smith would sing his praises. I have to say that I picked up his Spider-Man 12 issue mini-series, and to his credit, Millar actually did do some good things. I did like his take on Electro and the Vulture. Eddie Brocks characterization was decent and didn't seem all that off (ie, his suicide attempt and depression), and a new Venom wasn't a bad idea, even if Mac Gargan isn't the greatest choice in the world. And the conversation at the end of MK #12 between Peter and Aunt May ALMOST makes me think that bringing back Aunt May wasn't a huge, gigantic, terrible mistake (Paul Jenkins did some good work with May, and JMS has done wonders with her, but she should have stayed dead a long time ago, one of the few characters whose death had meaning. Not to mention that her death story in Amazing #400 was supposed to be extremely touching and emotional: it was even praised by Alan Moore of all people.).

But, and I noticed this with some of his Wolverine and Ultimates issues that I read: hes more concerned with shock value like death and sex. But the biggest problem is that he makes his characters, especially his heroes, almost unbearably STUPID. His Spider-man story was probably a classic idiot plot. You know, a plot that only works because the character(s)behave in unintelligent ways or do things that dont make sense just so the plot will work out. This was also done in Identity Crisis, House of M and Disassembled, and a BUNCH of other stories in this dumbed down heroes age. But come on. I mean, I can't believe that some people really liked that story. Spidey breaking NORMAN OSBORN out of prison in a mask. Spidey framing JJJs son (and JJJ actually BELIEVING it, yeah right.). The HUGE coincidence of Spidey running into that woman who knew about the Vultrues grandson. Spidey going to the OWL for help (gee, the Fantastic Four, Silver Surfer,etc werent available? Oh wait, if he did that the plot would have been over at about issue 4.) And from all I heard about his Trouble mini-series, well. That being said though, I do kind of want to pick up his Wanted mini-series. I know, someone switched my brain. But I just cant understand the acclaim.

Re: I Dont Get It: Why Is Mark Millar So Popular As A Writer?

I... can't believe you posted all this. Your entire disbelief that Millar is a great writer is based on Marvel Knights Spider-Man?

Tell ya what. Read the next 6 issues of MK Spider-Man and tell me how Mark Millar is THEN.

Chiseler

Read the Authority, read the Ultimates, read the first 33 issues of Ultimate X-Men, read his run on Wolverine.

That'll answer your question.

Ya know, when I'm worth half a fuck, I'm going to have Millar write my life story. I can't wait to see how he handles the part where I was conflicted about watching USA Up All Night at my Grandma's house after everyone else went to bed.

MECHA SHIVA MECHA SHIVA Adam Witt's Avatar

IMO, Marvel Knights' Spider-Man IS the reason that Millar is recognized as a great writer. That's one of the reasons I like him. The other reason is the brilliant little book called Ultimates. MKSM got me back into comics; Ultimates kept me in. Stay far away from his UFF run--it is shit.

Otherwise, Millar is golden in my book. And I've been told that I haven't even read his best work [Authority].
    I write about comics. [] I podcast about comics. [] I write comics.
    Twitter [] Tumblr [] Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by WillieLee View Post
    Who needs a job when you got the hos on the track?

He's very hardcore and bad-ass like. And he's a liberal who isn't afraid to put politics in his stories. And he's really good with the snarky dialogue.

That's good enough for most people.

Quote Originally Posted by antistar
    Read the Authority, read the Ultimates, read the first 33 issues of Ultimate X-Men, read his run on Wolverine.

That'll answer your question.
    did you read volume 1 of the ultimates? that was fantastic. and you're saying you didn't enjoy The Authority?

do me a favor and read Superman: Red Son.

one of the best superman stories ever.

:something witty: Shannon Chenoweth's Avatar

Ok. If you don't like his work, why read it? I think he's a very good writer. Read Ultimates 2 #9 for a great example of just how great he is.
    --Shannon (formerly RangerChic)

Website | Twitter | Blog | Photography | Myspace | Crimespace

Consiliere

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Z
    did you read volume 1 of the ultimates? that was fantastic. and you're saying you didn't enjoy The Authority?

do me a favor and read Superman: Red Son.

one of the best superman stories ever.
    I think he's saying that the topic creator should read those books.

Craig
    "I am free of all prejudices. I hate every one equally."

Quote Originally Posted by CraigM
    I think he's saying that the topic creator should read those books.

Craig
    yah