BENDIS! Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Everybody look right here

Everybody look right here

This week, three books are coming out, and while I've only had the pleasure of reading one of them so far, I can almost guarentee they'll all be great.

Wimbledon Green
    by Seth
    $19.95

Meet Wimbledon Green, the self-proclaimed world’s greatest comic book collector who brokered the world’s best comic book deal in the history of collecting. Comic book retailers, auctioneers, and conventioneers from around North America, as well as Green’s collecting rivals, weigh in on the man and his vast collection of comic books. Are Green’s intentions honorable? Does he truly love comics or is he driven by the need to conquer? Lastly, is he really even Wimbledon Green?
    Acme Novelty Library #16
    By Chris Ware
    $15.95

I have read this, and I must say, it's probably been the best comic released this year.

After four years of almost exclusively repackaging his sophomoric early work for the book trade, the children's entertainer and award-winning calligrapher F. C. Ware returns to his groundbreaking 1990s cartoon series "The ACME Novelty Library," a nearly decade-long publishing experiment which more or less singlehandedly demonstrated the redemptive power a fancy paper stock or a little gold foil might exert over an otherwise dull, dry visual narrative. Ware rejoins the proud, vital esthetic forum of the American comic book with his ongoing serial "Rusty Brown," a love story concerning the ambitions and mistakes of seven consciousnesses at a private school in Omaha, Nebraska, all revolving around a universally reviled child - and absolutely certain to be a favorite with readers of all tastes and biases. As told through the eyes of someone absentmindedly watching a television sitcom circa 1975, this first installment begins one January morning of that same year and describes everything of importance right up to and including the ring of the first period bell before eventually spiraling off into 1955, 2004, and toward the planet Mars, amongst other interesting and exotic time periods and locales. Though originally released by alternative comics vanguard Fantagraphics Books, this new sixteenth issue is the first to be entirely produced, printed and published by Mr. Ware alone; limited to a single press run, once it is sold out, pulped, and/or burned, neither of these narratives will be available again until "Rusty Brown" and "Building Stories" are eventually edited, collected and remaindered as hardcover books.
    Mome Vol. 2
    Written and Illustrated by Andrice Arp, Gabrielle Bell, Jonathan Bennett, Jeffrey Brown, Sophie Crumb, David Heatley, Paul Hornschemeier, Anders Nilsen, John Pham and Kurt Wolfgang. Designed by Jordan Crane. Edited by Gary Groth & Eric Reynolds.
    $14.95

This accessible, reasonably priced, quarterly anthology will run approximately 136 pages per volume and spotlight a regular cast of a dozen of today's most exciting cartoonists. Designed by acclaimed designer and cartoonist Jordan Crane (The Clouds Above), Mome will feature an iconic design and consistent format that should quickly establish the anthology as the most distinctive and accessible anthology of literary comics available. Mome is the first all-comics literary anthology designed to sit alongside publications like Granta, The Baffler, McSweeney's, et. al., and is designed to appeal as much to fans of contemporary literary fiction as longtime comics fans. Mome will feature the same collective of artists every issue, allowing the artists and audience to grow together and build an ongoing identity that is highly unusual for the world of contemporary comics (where many authors publish sporadically by literary standards, given the labor intensive nature of comics).
    So even if you're not really into "indie" comics, any of these would be a great introduction, and well worth your time and money trying out.

Re: Everybody look right here

Heh. They reviewed the Ware book on Attack of the Show as a Christmas gift and said you should buy it for someone who takes really long shits because they're the only ones that are gonna actually read all the tiny text.

I hate to be a typical superhero fanboy Marvel/DC whore. But who am i kidding that's who i am and in turn i have zero interest in all of these books. Wait zero interest? make that sub-zero interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Vonn Hennigar
    I hate to be a typical superhero fanboy Marvel/DC whore. But who am i kidding that's who i am and in turn i have zero interest in all of these books. Wait zero interest? make that sub-zero interest.

i've looked at that Acme Novelty Library...and i just don't see why people like this book....

i do want to get that "king" book

A saw a spot about Wimbledon Greene on the television a while back. It looked really cool.

Acme Novelty 16 and Mome 2 will be mine. I'll have to drive 20 minutes to get them, but they'll be mine.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew french
    Acme Novelty 16 and Mome 2 will be mine. I'll have to drive 20 minutes to get them, but they'll be mine.
    it'll be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by B-Rose
    it'll be worth it.
    i thought that Mome 2 had been out already, but simply sold out everywhere i go.

as for acme 16, it's been difficult waiting.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew french
    i thought that Mome 2 had been out already, but simply sold out everywhere i go.

as for acme 16, it's been difficult waiting.
    i'm just basing this on midtown's shipping list for this week, and sometimes they're late on stuff.

i really just wish acme had been longer. it was a really quick read, but it definitely lends itself to rereadings.

Quote Originally Posted by B-Rose
    i'm just basing this on midtown's shipping list for this week, and sometimes they're late on stuff.

i really just wish acme had been longer. it was a really quick read, but it definitely lends itself to rereadings.
    good to know. Is there anything included outside of Rusty Brown, or is it the beginning of the long-term Rusty Brown story?