davidmackkabuki Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: We need a David Q&A

Re: We need a David Q&A

I definately always get and enjoy the Reflections editions you put out!!

Informitave, fun and interesting. They always draw me away from the technical drawing side of my art to relax and inspire random doodling.

Will Rick be doing the art chores on Tigerlilly?

Will you be returning to NZ in the next couple of years?

Best wishes for your fathers speedy recovery!
    R.

[QUOTE=MACK!]
    A- I thought the butt was just great.
    [QUOTE]

sigh....men....

hehehhe
    Tess/MG

Quote Originally Posted by HotRob
    I definately always get and enjoy the Reflections editions you put out!!

Informitave, fun and interesting. They always draw me away from the technical drawing side of my art to relax and inspire random doodling.

Will Rick be doing the art chores on Tigerlilly?

Will you be returning to NZ in the next couple of years?

Best wishes for your fathers speedy recovery!
    R.

I do hope to return to NZ!

Give Gotham my best wishes!
    davidmack.com & davidmackguide.com (updated daily with news)

Quote Originally Posted by Murdock's Girl
    Speaking of DD hardcovers-
    are we ever going to see the 'mack daredevils' in a hardcover? The rumor seemed that V4 was suppose to be parts of a hole/vision quest/ wake up.

Reflections is awsome- they get better and better with each new one.

Don't cut out anything! I doubt you would have a problem selling a 9th kabuki issue.

New question- Why do you think people have an issue with Echo? They didn't like vision quest, they don't like her as Ronin....what's your take? (they= people from these boards and people from my LCS who should be shot to begin with).

speaking of shooting things- you never explained why andy shot you in the leg!
    hehehehe
    Tess/MG

I hope Marvel does release our WAKE UP story in Hardcover as well as the ECHO story in it. Brian and I were talking about it the other day. We'd love to see that.
    I guess readers just need to ask Marvel for that if they want it sooner rather than later.

I'm glad to see the Alias Omnibus is being released. That is going to be grand.

Andy is Andy. The details are best not discussed. It was in St Louis in 95.
    And unfortunatey I broke Andy's knee in 97. He used to live in my house and we had a kind of Fight Club life for a while. But instead of making soap we made art.

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE an kabuki statue like this.

How about bookends, one with Ukiko as a small girl lying on her mother's memorial, and one as an adult at the end of COB.

OK, maybe that would be a bit morbid...

Quote Originally Posted by MACK!
    Q-My wife said she wished there was a version of the statue that was less "Superhero-ish". Her favorite parts of the Kabui story are more concerned with her as a person, as opposed to an action figure. Any plans for a more dressed down statue? (Maybe in a "You dont know me" shirt?)
    A- I understand this. I had suggested this kind of statue to Clay years ago. (even with that shirt and showing all the scars, etc).
    But Clay doesn't believe that there is the same kind of market for that kind of sculpture. So he prefers to play up to what he sees as the more marketable side of the character to make it worth his time investment and his manufacturing investment in creating them.

But reader/fan opinions on this kind of thing are always welcome.
    Continue to let me know what kind of statue, etc you'd like to see in the future.[/QUOTE]

so, you've probably been asked this question eleventy billion times, but i'm curious. are you an artist that likes to have music playing or some kind of background noise going while you're working on a piece, or do you prefer to work in silence? do you think listening to something while working has any influence on the final product?

~Summer

Quote Originally Posted by Izebhel
    so, you've probably been asked this question eleventy billion times, but i'm curious. are you an artist that likes to have music playing or some kind of background noise going while you're working on a piece, or do you prefer to work in silence? do you think listening to something while working has any influence on the final product?

~Summer

I do like listening to music while I work. Sometimes I have stuff on that gets me into the groove, and sometimes I turn it off, if I enter a phase where I want silence.

I have seen instances where it has an influence on the final thing. I know it has an influence on me while I'm doing it. But there are a few times it makes its way more overtly into the story.

By the way, I'm including one of your posts in the letters collumn of Kabuki #6 if you don't mind.

I love getting the chance to poke at the brain of someone I respect and admire. Hope these are okay.

--

1) In Kabuki #5, you spoke through Akemi and talked a great deal about how receiving credit should not be the ends to which your art works. While "Kabuki" and your forthcoming autobiographical work ("Self Portraits," you called it?) are without a doubt very personal stories, and your connection to them is in some ways almost as important as the stories themselves, have you considered doing future stories released under the Creative Commons license? Some known creators, such as science-fiction author Cory Doctorow and musician Jonathan Coulton, have in fact received greater publicity and paying audiences through their online use of the license and their wide-ranging permission to their fans to create their own works based on what they create.

2) When we're first starting out in any creative field, whether in our youth or in a late-found love for a particular medium, it's hard to avoid working in the style of, or even with the ideas of, our favorite creators. As we become more confident, we inevitably find our own voice, and become more comfortable in our own skin and thus with our own ideas and characters. What's your personal view with regards to the singularly massive fan community online, that seems at times to create more (be it of exceedingly variable quality) in a month than the commercial field does in a year, in art, narrative, music, and even things undefinable in new media? How does it feel as well, as a creator of note, to know that some of them are creating fanworks for their own benefit, and on occasion minor popularity within their own fan communities, based on your work?

3) The "Kabuki" story is already into its seventh volume and features hundreds of pages, and it's been many years since you've begun. There is, however, clearly a lot further that you want to take us within it - if nothing else, the promise of volumes based on each of the remaining Agents of the Noh implies years more worth of stories to come. Comics have had long epics before, but many of the stories either wind up being tales of combustion, or in one of the rare Western successes - Sim and Gerhard's "Cerebus" - the story was so different at the end from what it began as that much of their audience was no longer present. You're a pretty young guy to be as accomplished (to say nothing of talented!) as you are, but is this something that ever concerns you? Do you ever fear not getting a chance to finish Ukiko's saga - or fear perhaps even finding your interest wane? And do you see yourself, with regards to this one series, on a relatively set course, or do you think its evolution over time is uncontrollable?

4) Given your love of Eastern art and culture, and Manga's predominance in the comics industry in the last few years with no sign of abatement, and with a growing economical argument against the "issue" format, have you ever considered doing work not necessarily in the style of Manga or Manwha, but in that format? "Kabuki" might not be anything like any other Western comic on shelves today, but in format it's still a very Western product, with 20+ page single issues collected into large trade paperbacks later on. While printing concerns might negate the possibility of, say, releasing your painted work on smaller pages, I'm sure that a book you created to be released in that format - or even a release of a book that features more "traditional" art like "Agents: Scarab" - would do well amongst an audience that might not currently know about the title. A similar question could be asked about the webcomic format, as its audience grows and its content matures even as it becomes more financially feasible to work in that way (James Kochalka has said that one of his most successful works is the subscriber-only online release of his "American Elf" journal comic).

5) You have an incredibly loyal fanbase - and justifiably so, as your work deserves that and more. However, as the comics industry becomes increasingly more fractured, in-roads like mainstream press coverage of the medium (which tends to cover an insular group of creators who focus on an atmosphere of desperation and ennui) and other, newer markets (who prefer to stick to their Manga / webcomics / Goth-themed books / old-school superheroics sans metafiction or deconstruction / et al), it does seem at times like the book isn't reaching everyone who'd enjoy it or appreciate it. While your fans certainly do everything they can to spread the word, why do you think a book as well-done and as all-encompassing as this isn't much bigger than it is?

6) Could you, or could you not, fix all of comics' problems with a jet-powered motorcycle?
    Michael Peterson
    "When most people rewrite, the original gets smaller..." -Jade Dodge
    Visit Patchwork Earth - an experiment in evolving narrative

Quote Originally Posted by MACK!
    I do like listening to music while I work. Sometimes I have stuff on that gets me into the groove, and sometimes I turn it off, if I enter a phase where I want silence.

I have seen instances where it has an influence on the final thing. I know it has an influence on me while I'm doing it. But there are a few times it makes its way more overtly into the story.

By the way, I'm including one of your posts in the letters collumn of Kabuki #6 if you don't mind.
    thanks so much for the answer! and, of course i don't mind if you put a post of mine in the letters collumn. i am surprised i posted anything worth printing, though!

Question: Is the face on the right Akemi?
    Zork T. Cat 7/1994-10/2013 RIP