BENDIS! Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Flight attendants outraged over Jodie Foster film

Flight attendants outraged over Jodie Foster film

Flight attendants outraged over Jodie Foster film 1 hour, 31 minutes ago

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Labor unions representing most of the nation's 90,000 flight attendants have urged their members to boycott a new Jodie Foster film that portrays a flight attendant and a U.S. air marshal as terrorists.

ADVERTISEMENT

They said that casting cabin crew members as villains in the movie "Flightplan" was irresponsible in light of heightened security concerns since the September 11, 2001 attacks, in which suicide hijackers used airliners as guided missiles.

The Walt Disney Co. film, which was the No. 1 release at the North American box office last weekend, stars Foster as an airline passenger who awakens from an in-flight nap to find her young daughter missing. It turns out that one of the flight attendants aboard is involved in a terrorist plot hatched by the plane's air marshal.

A union statement issued on Tuesday also complained that other flight attendants in the film are shown as being "rude, unhelpful and uncaring."

"This depiction of flight attendants is an outrage," said Association of Flight Attendants (AFA) International President Patricia Friend. "Flight attendants continue to be the first line of defense on an aircraft and put their lives on the line day after day for the safety of passengers."

An AFA spokeswoman in Washington said the unions worry that moviegoers will take away impressions that will make it more difficult for flight attendants to "earn the trust and respect of passengers."

"It's just so irresponsible," the spokeswoman, Corey Caldwell, told Reuters on Wednesday.

She said the portrayal of airline cabin crew members as evil-doers adds further insult to long-standing Hollywood stereotypes that have depicted flight attendants as sexualized bubble heads or as harsh, humorless disciplinarians.

A Disney spokesman said that in making "Flightplan," which grossed nearly $25 million last weekend, "there was absolutely no intention on the part of the studio or filmmakers to create anything but a great action thriller."

"We are confident the public will be able to discern the difference between fiction and the incredible job real-life flight attendants do on a daily basis," the spokesman said.

The AFA called for the boycott along with two sister unions -- the Association of Professional Flight Attendants (APFA) and the Transport Workers Union Local 556, which represent cabin crew members from American Airlines and Southwest Airlines, respectively. The three unions together represent 80,000 of the 90,000 flight attendants who work for U.S. carriers.

Reuters/VNU

Re: Flight attendants outraged over Jodie Foster film

Quote Originally Posted by BENDIS!
    Flight attendants outraged over Jodie Foster film 1 hour, 31 minutes ago

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Labor unions representing most of the nation's 90,000 flight attendants have urged their members to boycott a new Jodie Foster film that portrays a flight attendant and a U.S. air marshal as terrorists.

OMG SPOILERS!!1

Consiliere

Someone should tell them that this is a movie and the flight attendants in the film aren't real.

Craig
    "I am free of all prejudices. I hate every one equally."

hey!
    spoilers!

Oh and by the way....Boo Fucking Hoo!
    Here's my KNAC.com review of the new Kix CD Rock Your Face Off.

Here's my KNAC.com review of the new Overkill CD White Devil Armory.

Here's my Pop-topia review of the new Judas Priest CD Redeemer of Souls.

They may be upset, but outraged?

:something witty: Shannon Chenoweth's Avatar

Damn it Bendis, SPOILERS!
    --Shannon (formerly RangerChic)

Website | Twitter | Blog | Photography | Myspace | Crimespace

this is another one of those anyone who will listen stories. fuck those people.
    c(> http://www.myspace.com/anthonytheghost
    modest minion. what we said we'd talk about makes humans human

WTF?!?!? I'm actually pissed off now because you fucking spoiled this movie!!! I was going to see it!!! JESUS!!! Not joking!

I would like to protest the far bigger crime that flight attendants don't look like they do in movies. The last flight I had, the woman serving the drinks looked like Ben Gazzara on an estrogen bender.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan the Shaggy View Post
    Shut up Mike!