BENDIS! Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Race and the Hurricane

Race and the Hurricane

Here is something interesting I noticed

Ive been seeing that RED CROSS commercial with the Jonny Cash song.
    What ive noticed is the ad is all caucasions with the exception of two non-directly seen african american faces- a black child face down into a white womans chest and a black man facing away from the camera.

I know there are smaller communities around the N.O. area that are more racially mixed, but clearly CNN and the others are choosing to concentrate on N.O.

With this commercial, Im wondering if RED CROSS specifically thought they could get more fund raising out of this commercial if they concentrated on white faces? Has anyone else noticed this? The thought of that freaks me out.
    Posted By Taki Soma
    Re: Ask Oeming
    Dear Mike,
    Kiss?

www.michaeloeming.com

Re: Race and the Hurricane

Quote Originally Posted by Oeming
    Here is something interesting I noticed

Ive been seeing that RED CROSS commercial with the Jonny Cash song.
    What ive noticed is the ad is all caucasions with the exception of two non-directly seen african american faces- a black child face down into a white womans chest and a black man facing away from the camera.

I know there are smaller communities around the N.O. area that are more racially mixed, but clearly CNN and the others are choosing to concentrate on N.O.

With this commercial, Im wondering if RED CROSS specifically thought they could get more fund raising out of this commercial if they concentrated on white faces? Has anyone else noticed this? The thought of that freaks me out.
    I saw that and thought the same thing. And, as fucked up as it is, they probably will get more donations if they show white people in need. By showing a lot of black people (and calling them "refugees") lets white america (the folks who will mostly donate money) distance themselves from the tragedy and the victims. Showing white people will most likely get them more money.

Maybe they should show Trent Lott with a single tear rolling from his eye?
    Posted By Taki Soma
    Re: Ask Oeming
    Dear Mike,
    Kiss?

www.michaeloeming.com

Hahahaha!

Wait, because I know what you are referring to, that makes me old.

i don't care what they do if it brings in more money and help.

:hugs Omeing:

Made

"slavery split this country in two, who knows what mutants will do!" - Ultimate S.H.I.E.L.D. agent Dugan

God bless,
    innocentboy

my visual art: http://www.innocentboyproductions.com last updated Sept. 1, 2005
    Song of Songs the Comic Book: http://www.songofsongsthecomicbook.com last updated Sept. 1, 2005
    "NUFF TALENT..! BIG UP..!" - MC Skibadee
    nosebleed, nosebleed, rain, nosebleed, nosebleed, yawn

Quote Originally Posted by Keith P.
    Hahahaha!

Wait, because I know what you are referring to, that makes me old.

I know what he's referring to, also, but still I think you're WAY older than me.

That's a little shocking that the Red Cross is doing that, though I agree with Cashed - they *will* get more money out of this because they're showing white people in trouble....because dammit, CNN just didn't show enough white people suffering for me to feel compelled to donate.

I'm only slightly kidding. People will be more compelled to donate if they see faces similar to their own. Not that it's fair that the Red Cross is doing this, but in the end, it goes to the same cause - all of the victims of the hurricane. As long as the money is coming in...

Where are the Asians?!?!?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by innocentboy
    "slavery split this country in two, who knows what mutants will do!" - Ultimate S.H.I.E.L.D. agent Dugan

God bless,
    innocentboy

my visual art: http://www.innocentboyproductions.com last updated Sept. 1, 2005
    Song of Songs the Comic Book: http://www.songofsongsthecomicbook.com last updated Sept. 1, 2005
    "NUFF TALENT..! BIG UP..!" - MC Skibadee
    nosebleed, nosebleed, rain, nosebleed, nosebleed, yawn
    Please don't speak.

Ever.

Again.

Quote Originally Posted by Yano
    I know what he's referring to, also, but still I think you're WAY older than me.

That's a little shocking that the Red Cross is doing that, though I agree with Cashed - they *will* get more money out of this because they're showing white people in trouble....because dammit, CNN just didn't show enough white people suffering for me to feel compelled to donate.

I'm only slightly kidding. People will be more compelled to donate if they see faces similar to their own. Not that it's fair that the Red Cross is doing this, but in the end, it goes to the same cause - all of the victims of the hurricane. As long as the money is coming in...

Where are the Asians?!?!?!?!
    Trapped in their houses in New Orleans East. (Not a joke, it's true)