BENDIS! Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ending Indian Mascots

Ending Indian Mascots

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0508/24/ldt.01.html

Quote Originally Posted by CASEY WIAN, CNN CORRESPONDENT
    Critics say the ruling is another example of hypocrisy by major college sports governing body. For example, the NCAA allows San Diego State teams to be Aztecs, because it couldn't find any organized tribe or group related to Aztecs. Of course they were wiped out by Spain. So apparently references to complete genocide are OK. But honoring tribes nearly exterminated is not.
    Taxman

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    There is absolutely no way that The Avengers makes more than The Dark Knight Rises. None.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad N. View Post
    I think GotG will do quite higher than $200 million. In fact, I'm going to be bold and say it might be the one to hit $300 million.
    Guardians of the Galaxy
    is not going to outgross Captain America: The Winter Soldier, The Amazing Spider-Man 2, and X-Men: Days of Future Past. Certainly not with an August opening. You can count on that.

Re: Ending Indian Mascots

That's retarded. I don't even understand what point she's trying to make, I don't think she does either.

The fact is, if Native American tribes are upset by it, or if even some Native Americans are upset by it, they should be removed, and I'm from UND. There are lots of names you wouldn't use in terms of race, yet Native Americans have always been fair game for some reason.

Yeah, my old high school is dealing with this right now. We're currently the Nokomis Warriors, but measures have been taken to steer us away from really using it. We can no longer have anyone dressed up like an Indian, we can't do "The Chop" and (quote) there can be no references to "Scalping of any kind in chants or on signs" at tourneys. Whatever.
    "There's no such thing as happiness, only nostalgia."

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan Johnson
    "Some people have all the luck: Bisexuality, next on Oprah"

Quote Originally Posted by billthomason
    That's retarded. I don't even understand what point she's trying to make, I don't think she does either.

The fact is, if Native American tribes are upset by it, or if even some Native Americans are upset by it, they should be removed, and I'm from UND. There are lots of names you wouldn't use in terms of race, yet Native Americans have always been fair game for some reason.

What about state names like Indiana & Illinois?

I think the first one that has to go is the Washington Redskins. That name is so offensive I cant imagine why there hasnt been more of an octcry over it. I mean Braves, Indians, Seminoles, those arent inherently offensive, but "redskins", that needs to go away.

I remember a joke that Chris Rock told about the washington redskins, he said something along the lines of that it would be the equivalent of having a team called the new york niggers. and that isnt an exaggeration.
    Enjoy the chlamydia Lucielle.

The fact is, if Native American tribes are upset by it, or if even some Native Americans are upset by it, they should be removed, and I'm from UND.
    Define some.

You see no hypocrisy or irony in the concept that if every member of a group is killed off, then it is all right to use their name.
    Taxman

There is absolutely no way that The Avengers makes more than The Dark Knight Rises. None.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad N. View Post
    I think GotG will do quite higher than $200 million. In fact, I'm going to be bold and say it might be the one to hit $300 million.
    Guardians of the Galaxy
    is not going to outgross Captain America: The Winter Soldier, The Amazing Spider-Man 2, and X-Men: Days of Future Past. Certainly not with an August opening. You can count on that.

Man 1: As an indian, I'm offended by the name Washington Redskins.

Man 2: Why is that? What should they change their name too?

Man 1: The Maryland Redskins.

The Seminole Nation actually offically endorses the use of the nickname.

Why no outrage over the use of "the Fighting Irish' or their leprachaun mascot? Fair is fair.

Quote Originally Posted by artimoff
    The Seminole Nation actually offically endorses the use of the nickname.

Why no outrage over the use of "the Fighting Irish' or their leprachaun mascot? Fair is fair.

Well the whole Fighting Irish might be because the university was founded by or at least in part with, actual Irish people. I dont think there were too many Native Americans working with Florida state on the whole college thing there.
    Enjoy the chlamydia Lucielle.