BENDIS! Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Harvard Stem Cell Breakthrough

Harvard Stem Cell Breakthrough

From USA Today: http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2005-08-22-stem-cells_x.htm?csp=24&RM_Exclude=Juno
    Harvard reports potential stem cell breakthrough

WASHINGTON (AP) — Harvard scientists announced they've discovered a way to fuse adult skin cells with embryonic stem cells, a promising and dramatic breakthrough that could lead to the creation of useful stem cells without first having to create and destroy human embryos.
    Members of the research team were to discuss their findings Monday. Preliminary results of the potentially groundbreaking research were disclosed Sunday on the Science magazine web site.

The scientists said they were able to show in their early research that the fused cell "was reprogrammed to its embryonic state."

"If future experiments indicate that this reprogrammed state is retained after removing the embryonic stem cell DNA — currently a formidable technical hurdle — the hybrid cells could theoretically be used to produce embryonic stem cells lines that are tailored to individual patients without the need to create and destroy human embryos," said a summary of the research reported on the Science site.

That could lead to creation of stem cells without having to use human eggs or make new human embryos in the process, thereby sidestepping much of the controversy over stem cell research.

The Harvard researchers used laboratory grown human embryonic stem cells — such as the ones that President Bush has already approved for use by federally funded researchers — to essentially convert a skin cell into an embryonic stem cell itself.

If a number of hurdles can be overcome in subsequent research, the new technique "may circumvent some of the logistical and societal concerns" that have hampered much of the research in this country, Chad Cowan, Kevin Eggan and colleagues from the Harvard Stem Cell Institute report in the Science article.

The hybrid cells created by the team "had the appearance, growth rate, and several key genetic characteristics of human embryonic cells," the summary of their work said.

"They also behaved like embryonic cells, differentiating into cells from each of the three main tissue types that form in a developing embryo. The authors conclude that human embryonic cells have the ability to reprogram adult cell chromosomes following cell fusion."
    Artwork and more:

"Everything is permissible for me"—but not everything is beneficial. "Everything is permissible for me"—but I will not be mastered by anything. - I Cor. 6:12

Spoiler:

Re: Harvard Stem Cell Breakthrough

I don't want to go off topic, but for some reason I read the title as "Havard Stem Cell in Beer Breakthrough."

Don't ask.
    Kenneth I. Wolfe
    http://wolfe.gen.tcd.ie/
    (I know that website says that my middle initial is "H," but that's only because I, Kenneth I. Wolfe, am in the witness protection program. It's amazing how a middle initial can throw bad guys off your trail. It fooled you, didn't it?)

COOL LIST: Human Target, Carl Giannini

LAME LIST:
    Hot Pink, Michael Hasselof, TomFeeg, Brandon1191, BenetoCareno,Shannon

Heh. I read "Howard Stern Cell Breakthrough."

Wow. This is really interesting. I wonder though...If we now keep having to harvest new cells (I guess we can't make them duplicate enough to keep up w/ the research demand), what's different about these hybrid cells that would allow them to duplicate enough? Is it because they're made up partly of skin cells? OR.. If these new cells are the same in that respect, we'd still have to use harvested stem cells to make the hybrids, wouldn't we?
    http://magictwangerproductions.com
    Want a cool t-shirt like this:

Buy it here:
    http://www.threadless.com/?streetteam=Holly McKinney

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mauer
    Heh. I read "Howard Stern Cell Breakthrough."
    I did too....it's amazing how we see what we expect to see, rather than what it really there.
    Sounds like he teaches S&M. -Schizorabbit

Maybe we just need new glasses.

Quote Originally Posted by Rellis
    I did too....it's amazing how we see what we expect to see, rather than what it really there.
    Me too, and they just finished talking about it on Stern.
    Winter is Coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Rellis
    Me, three.

Quote Originally Posted by BWC Boston
    People who disagree with a specific opinion you hold are not, by definition, fanboys.

YES! I love compromises!
    "There's no such thing as happiness, only nostalgia."

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan Johnson
    "Some people have all the luck: Bisexuality, next on Oprah"

this is what ronald reagan jr. talked about during the democratic convention.
    very close to cloning; but i support cloning