BENDIS! Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Avengers #8 (Spoilers)

New Avengers #8 (Spoilers)

Yes, this is a review of New Avengers #8.

There are spoilers here, but not that much. If you don't want to know anything, don't read it:

Spoiler:
    New Avengers #8
    written by Brian Michael Bendis
    penciled by Steve McNiven
    Inked by Mark Morales
    SPECIAL GUEST ARTIST: SAL BUSCEMA (pages 1-3)

Having been a fan of Paul Jenkins 'Sentry' mini a few years back, I was very excited to hear of The Sentry being featured in New Avengers.

After last issue's stunning cliff-hanger, I wasn't sure what to think. I knew I loved the issue, but I was totally clueless as to where it is/was going.

Enter issue 8, which starts out with the legendary Sal Buscema doing the art chores for a tale from The Sentry comic.

Confronted with evidence that he may only just be a fictional character, and that the wife that he thought murdered is actually alive, The Sentry eludes Cap and Co. and returns to his 'normal life' in Connecticut.

Meanwhile, there is still the battle with The Wrecker to contend with. Sadly, The Wrecker, has pretty much wiped his butt with the team, and the only thing in his way is Spider-Woman. What could she possibly do?

The answer is not obvious, but you know something is at work, there. And when you get the reveal, not only does it make sense, but the reaction from the rest of the team caused me to laugh out loud.

McNiven's art shines here, as there is something oddly alluring about his Spider-Woman--actually all his characters are beautifully depicted. The sadness of the wrecker, the anguish of Linda, and the confusion and terror of The Sentry/Robert Reynolds are all wonderfully conveyed.

The final page was a complete surprise, as I didn't expect to see who I saw there, and the menacing cliff-hanger is just done right.

Inter-mixed into the story is a nice conversation between Tony Stark and Logan, a neat bit of inter-title continuity (that people who read The Runaways may enjoy), and a nice 'silver age' moment at the beginning.

I know people who have been down on New Avengers miss their old team, etc. But, 8 issues in, Bendis is really doing something different with this book, and this tale is very enjoyable. Mostly because I am confused. Again, I don't know where this story is going, and for that, I am wicked glad.

Grade: A

Rut 7 / Sub-grid Zero / Hive Tesseract A / Cell 10310

Re: New Avengers #8 (Spoilers)

Looking forward to it.

GODFATHER The Cheap-Arse Film Critic's Avatar

Aren't there rumours going round that...

Spoiler:
    ... The Sentry is actually Thor?

I have heard that speculation, Technofear.

I really don't put much stock in that. Not because of anything in this issue (or this arc so far), but just because I think that it is just way too crazy.

The line up is cool to me but would love to see a black woman on the team also but its not my book and its selling like crazy. I just wish the team would assemble already but it will take time i know. The spidey/cage interplay is funny too because they dont take all this as serious as cap and iron man do. The spidey jokes were a bit much to me. I like Finchs art and im going to miss it when he goes to Moon Knight. He has a bit of the flashy type of art that was popular in the 90's. Even though i know Bendis hates alot the the mainstream comics from that era.

Quote Originally Posted by Shwicaz
    I have heard that speculation, Technofear.

I really don't put much stock in that. Not because of anything in this issue (or this arc so far), but just because I think that it is just way too crazy.
    This whole arc is way too crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by ds9
    I like Finchs art and im going to miss it when he goes to Moon Knight. He has a bit of the flashy type of art that was popular in the 90's. Even though i know Bendis hates alot the the mainstream comics from that era.
    McNiven's got that kind of style, too.

One thing that bugged me about this issue. Why go to the lengths to make the flashback art look faded and period and then muck it up with word balloons as crisp and as clear as today? Why can't they also look period?

Also, a question:
    Spoiler:
    Who were the folks standing under Dr. Strange?
    "I'll try to get you laid, it's the least I can do. But I'm not a miracle worker!" - BENDIS! to ItsDLEVY via podcast.

now blogging at jewschool.com

Quote Originally Posted by Technofear
    McNiven's got that kind of style, too.
    Im glad hes going to do UXM.

Quote Originally Posted by itsdlevy
    One thing that bugged me about this issue. Why go to the lengths to make the flashback art look faded and period and then muck it up with word balloons as crisp and as clear as today? Why can't they also look period?

Also, a question:
    Spoiler:
    Who were the folks standing under Dr. Strange?

Spoiler:
    Those are the inhumans