BENDIS! Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 502 of 1173 FirstFirst ... 24024524924984995005015025035045055065125526021002 ... LastLast
Results 5,011 to 5,020 of 11725

Thread: The OFFICIAL MMA Thread

Re: The OFFICIAL MMA Thread

dana white has done some good and some bad things, but after reading his response to (sherdog) josh gross' "open letter" to the ufc about how they need to "fix" the steroid problem my respect for him just went up a notch:

My response to idiot Gross:

Its funny how when bad things happen, you love to call me out and say that I need to jump in and fix it. All the positive things that Zuffa has done over the past 6 years and you write me an open letter telling me to fix the problem of fighters using steroids? You are the biggest idiot I have ever met in this industry. Josh "holier than now" Gross writes a letter full of insults and sarcasm about what my company and I have accomplished since buying the UFC- like it was some easy chore. This is the same scumbag who released the finalists of TUF season 4 before it even aired. Josh, before you start trying to fix my company, worry about the potential lying, corruptions and inaccuracies at your own shitty website.

To all the fighters out there that fight for me or another promotion: these fan boy websites come kissing your ass when they want to shoot video of you or get an interview so they can make money off you. But when you make a mistake, they will be right there to kick your teeth down your throat. One of the great things that has happened over the past 6 years is that real media covers us now. So when these fan boy self proclaimed MMA websites want to do video interviews or any other kind of interview to make themselves money tell them to stop calling you and leave you alone. They are not doing you any favors- they are making money off of you. I have not let Sherdog into a UFC event in years. And the UFC is doing just fine.

Anyway, back to steroids- every athlete on this planet knows what's going on with steroids right now and we make it very clear what the athletic commission will do to them if they are caught. In fact, to my knowledge, athletes competing in combative sports are the only ones in the world who get drug tested by the government, that's a pretty high standard to meet. Imagine if every NBA, MLB or NFL athlete was drug tested by the government every time they competed? That's a very high standard yet UFC fighters face government drug testing every time they enter the Octagon.

Everyone knows that it hurts me and my company badly when one of my fighters tests positive for steroids. Listen Josh "save the whales" Gross- I can't save the world by myself. So roll your boss back into the ocean and write a letter "Attention all promoters." When your product is human beings, there are always going to be problems and nothing is ever going to be perfect.

Gross, you have no clue the stuff I deal with on a daily basis with fighters. Myself and the UFC are adamantly opposed to the use of steroids or any other kind of drugs. Most of these guys that fight in the UFC are my friends and I care about them. My job isn't to smash them publicly and ruin their lives. Apparently, that's your job. My job is to help them through whatever problems they might have- professional or personal.

I don't know if anyone has ever seen Josh Gross but the guy has never done anything athletic in his entire life. And you only have to see Jeff Sherwood and his staff to know the same thing about them. These people don't know the first thing about the demands and challenges that professional athletes are faced with. I have my own opinion of Sherdog and Gross and how they run their business but I don't write open letters to the public about it. So for these goofy supposed fan boy clowns to sit around and write letters about what I need to do with my company and my athletes is fucking hilarious.

You guys just keep selling DVDs and chasing my guys around for video interviews so you can make more money and keep eating and I will handle the UFC and it's fighters.

Dana White
    Helio Gracie -> Rickson Gracie -> Pedro Sauer -> Allen Hopkins -> Steve Miller -> Me (blue belt)

Quote Originally Posted by turtle guard View Post
    dana white has done some good and some bad things, but after reading his response to (sherdog) josh gross' "open letter" to the ufc about how they need to "fix" the steroid problem my respect for him just went up a notch:

Damn, that's awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Briomega View Post
    Damn, that's awesome.
    Dana White is THE best promo in the business.
    My Twitter
    Anonymous Eagle
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad N.
    We may butt heads on wrasslin from time to time, but a mutual hatred for Green Bay practically makes us brothers.

Gross shouldn't have put in the personal insults when he wrote his open letter. But I'm disappointed in Dana's stance on the subject.

In his response to the Sherdog "open letter", Dana sounds like he's having trouble separating business from friendships and I think that could be bad for the UFC in the end.

for anyone saying that the ufc should do their own in-house steroid testing, it's just not that simple. they don't have the kind of structured schedule that other self-testing organizations have.

leagues like the nfl, mlb, and nba have seasons that are structured and during which players are kept on pretty short leashes. with pro wrestling (assuming that wwe's testing policy is legit), all the active wrestlers tour and are kept on similar short leashes. during pro sport league seasons and pro wrestling tours, the athletes / wrestlers are pretty much guaranteed to be "at work" on-premises between 4 - 6 days a week.

with mma it's not the same. fighters train at their own camps, some of which are in different countries, for MONTHS at a time in between fights. guys like cro cop, fedor, the chute boxe crew, the btt guys, etc. all live in various foreign countries. some of them train in the u.s. at times, but a good number of them still maintain their homes / training camps outside of the u.s.

this makes testing fighters much harder than it is for the orgs that are already self-regulating.

i think the testing that is done now is good enough. after all, it's government regulated and has proven to be effective in catching offenders.

how many total ufc fighters have been busted for steroids since they've gained popularity the past few years? off the top of my head, i can only think of 3: bonnar, franca, and sherk.

i'd be willing to bet that most new mma fans (i.e. the majority of the ufc's current fan base) don't even know that barnett fought in the ufc much less that he failed a steroid test. and i'd bet that they don't have a clue that tim silvia failed a drug test either.

also, with all the stuff in the media with pro athletes failing drug tests i really don't think that having a few fighters fail steroid tests (even if one is your lw champ) is going to cause the ufc to lose fans. and let's face it, people who don't like the ufc can try to use this to paint a bad picture and "kill" the rise in popularity of mma but regardless of what they might say are YOU going to stop watching mma events because of it? no you won't. and neither will the other x-thousand people who are already buying every ufc ppv.

this isn't going to be that bad for the ufc in the long run. now if we've had another 8 - 12 fighters test positive by this time next year...yeah that would be a problem. but considering how many ufc events that have been put on in the past few years, the number of fighters who have failed steroid tests is very low.
    Helio Gracie -> Rickson Gracie -> Pedro Sauer -> Allen Hopkins -> Steve Miller -> Me (blue belt)

As I have said, if they wanted to clean up the sport, they could. The option to have random drug tests are a part of every UFC fighters' contract.

Quote Originally Posted by WillieLee View Post
    As I have said, if they wanted to clean up the sport, they could. The option to have random drug tests are a part of every UFC fighters' contract.
    again you have to consider the logistical problems involved. it's going to put a fighter like crocop out to have to fly in for a random drug test in the middle of training camp a whole lot more than it will for a guy who lives / trains right there in vegas.

not to mention the fact that the ufc instituting random drug tests won't clean up the sport. they only have control over 2 orgs (ufc and wec). and as i mentioned, there really haven't been enough ufc fighters who have failed steroid tests over the years to state that they need to "clean up the sport".

it's not like there's a rampant outbreak of fighters getting busted for roids. just a handful of idiots that think they can get over.

Quote Originally Posted by turtle guard View Post
    again you have to consider the logistical problems involved. it's going to put a fighter like crocop out to have to fly in for a random drug test in the middle of training camp a whole lot more than it will for a guy who lives / trains right there in vegas.
    They don't have to fly anyone. There are drug testing labs in all of the countries that the fighters train in.

not to mention the fact that the ufc instituting random drug tests won't clean up the sport. they only have control over 2 orgs (ufc and wec). and as i mentioned, there really haven't been enough ufc fighters who have failed steroid tests over the years to state that they need to "clean up the sport".
    The UFC is MMA as far as the media is concerned. They are the only organization that is getting millions of PPV buys. While they cannot clean up the entire sport, they could very easily clean up the UFC.

it's not like there's a rampant outbreak of fighters getting busted for roids. just a handful of idiots that think they can get over.
    California is the only state that tests all the fighters. The UFC has put on events in states that only test a random number of fighters or no fighters at all. The low number of fighters caught can be attributed to the low number of fighters tested. Also, California only started testing for steroids this year and they have already caught the UFCs Lightweight champion and number one contender.

If they claim that it isn't a major problem then why not enact the random drug testing policy in the contracts and prove that it's only the actions of a few fighters? How many more champions need to be stripped of their titles before it becomes a problem?

Quote Originally Posted by WillieLee View Post
    How many more champions need to be stripped of their titles before it becomes a problem?
    you're forgetting that every champion has been tested since even though some of the tests are random they ALWAYS test main event / championship fighters. so even though sherk failed a test, a ton of other guys have proven to be clean.

these guys (champions / contenders / main eventers) have been tested (some numerous times) over the past few years and been proven to be clean:

randy, tim sylvia, monson, arlovski, assuerio silva, gonzaga, crocop, chuck, rampage, tito, babalu, horn,anderson silva, marquardt, rich, lutter, leben, louiseau, quarry, tanner, hughes, gsp, royce, serra, bj, riggs, trigg, florian, jardine, evans, salmon, stevenson, and guillard.

that's just a quick list. i'm sure i missed somebody.

steroids are bad. no doubt. however, i honestly don't see how anyone can say that this is such a horrible problem.

sure it sucks that the lw champ got busted using roids, but anyone who's seen sherk before should NOT be surprised that he was on something (if it is proven that he was). the real surprise would be to find out that sherk actually IS clean and manages to maintain such a cut, muscular physique anyway.