BENDIS! Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oreos Are as Addictive as Cocaine

~*~ DISNEY PRINCESS ~*~ Foolish Mortal's Avatar

Oreos Are as Addictive as Cocaine

Sites that may or may not interest you..

Re: Oreos Are as Addictive as Cocaine

Oreos Are as Addictive as Cocaine: College Study

Oreos are as addictive as cocaine, at least for lab rats, according to a study by Connecticut College students and their neuroscience professor.

Much like humans, rats also start with the creamy center, rather than the cookies, the study also found. The purpose of the study was to look at the potential addictiveness of high-fat and high-sugar foods.

Professor Joseph Schroeder and his students found that eating cookies activated more neurons in the brain’s “pleasure center” than exposure to drugs, like cocaine or morphine.

“Our research supports the theory that high-fat, high-sugar foods stimulate the brain in the same way that drugs do,” Schroeder said. “It may explain why some people can’t resist these foods despite the fact that they know they are bad for them.”

In the study, hungry rats on one side of a maze were given Oreos. Rats on the other side of the maze were given rice cakes.

“Just like humans, rats don’t seem to get much pleasure out of eating them,” Schroeder said of the rice cakes.

Then, rats on one side of the maze were given a shot of cocaine or morphine, while rats on the other side were given saline. Schroeder is licensed by the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration to purchase and use controlled substances for research.

The research showed that the rats conditioned with Oreos spent as much time on the “drug” side of the maze as the rats conditioned with cocaine or morphine. It also showed that Oreos activated significantly more neurons than cocaine or morphine.

“This correlated well with our behavioral results and lends support to the hypothesis that high-fat, high-sugar foods are addictive,” Schroeder said.

Schroeder and his students chose to feed the rats Oreos because they wanted a food that is appetizing to humans and contributes to obesity in the same way cocaine is pleasurable and addictive to humans, according to a news release from Connecticut College.

Pat Loika summed up my feelings on Facebook the other day (and I may be paraphrasing): "Oh, horseshit."
    Follow me @Marcdachamp on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Marcdachamp View Post
    Pat Loika summed up my feelings on Facebook the other day (and I may be paraphrasing): "Oh, horseshit."
    Were you there?

Honestly, I only posted this story for the adorable photo of the rat with the Oreos.

Isn't sugar itself proven to be addictive? Doesn't that make this study done by dummies fucking with rats essentially stupid and redundant?
    AIM ID : ashpcomics | Website |Blog | Twitter |

What a load of crap.

It's probably closer to weed.

Follow me @Marcdachamp on Twitter

I haven't had an Oreo in a while.

I guess this means I beat addiction.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Blog,
    What Would Spidey Do?

I can believe it. Before I went gluten-free Oreos were the only cookie I just could not stop eating once I started, and were always my 'go to' treat. I don't have a big sweet tooth (being more of a salty sort), so I didn't buy them often, but when I did they didn't last but a couple days. Yeah, I'd call them addictive. And no other similar stuffed cookie was quite the same - only Oreos, and especially the double stuff or chocolate-filled ones.

Along with Italian bread and pizza crust, Oreos are one of the things I miss most since going gluten-free.

das