Gailsimone Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Robin Thicke: Asshole

Exclamation Robin Thicke: Asshole

Okay, over in the Miley Cyrus topic, a big part of that is that it seems worse that she's taking such a shellacking when Thicke is getting off comparatively scot-free (with many people even admiring him for his antics).

But really he's a scumbag.

This is what Robin Thicke was up to, mere hours after the VMAs. Look in the mirror carefully. - http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...icle-1.1441323

The woman in the picture ain't his wife, BTW.

Not surprised. But expecting assholes to not act like assholes is a losing battle. Give attention to people who deserve it.

Re: Robin Thicke: Asshole

I have no idea who this person is and I am of the firm believe my life is infinitely richer for it.

Lisa Simpson: Hey, Springfield! Are you suffering from the heartbreak of ... monster-itis? Then take a tip from Mr. Paul Anka!

Paul Anka: ♫ To stop those monsters, one-two-three / Here's a fresh new way that's trouble-free / It's got Paul Anka's guarantee... ♫

Lisa Simpson: ♫ Guarantee void in Tennessee ♫

Paul Anka and Lisa Simpson: ♫ Just don't look! Just don't look! / Just don't look! Just don't look! / etc. ♫
    Movie news, features, reviews, and miscellany: My work at Flixist
    Movie reviews and criticism: My stuff on CriticWire

Join us. Resistance is futile.
    Change your default settings.

Maybe it's just because I've only been in gay relationships, and that picture is so incredibly tame I can't believe this is even an issue BUT maybe his wife doesn't give a shit.

Quote Originally Posted by zemo View Post
    I have no idea who this person is and I am of the firm believe my life is infinitely richer for it.
    Agreed. My first response to the whole thing has been, "Who? and who? Am I supposed to know who these people are?"

Wait, I thought Kirk Cameron was Alan Thicke's son. Now I'm so confused!

Quote Originally Posted by Tegan View Post
    Agreed. My first response to the whole thing has been, "Who? and who? Am I supposed to know who these people are?"
    I don't disagree from the perspective of his actual importance on world events or the human race, but saying you don't know who he is basically the same thing as saying outright "I have zero knowledge of current pop culture". Which is 100% fine, probably even highly admirable. But I do find it odd that people feel they always have to comment on not knowing pop culture icons. To me its a similar phenomenon to people bragging that they are Luddites. Its a clear and purposeful choice, but I wish people would give further context to these declarations. In other words, there's no shame in not knowing who he is. He's a pimple on the ass of humanity. But I posit that rather than just declaring you don't know who someone in a thread like this is, which is basically just a conversation stopper, look him up then take (well deserved) joy in getting proof and discussing that your disdain for pop culture icons is well justified. Or stumble into a pop icon (not Thicke) who surprises you and isn't totally worthless (I've seen this happen with people who see Lady Gaga for the first time, for example).

Quote Originally Posted by ConnorHawke View Post
    Maybe it's just because I've only been in gay relationships, and that picture is so incredibly tame I can't believe this is even an issue BUT maybe his wife doesn't give a shit.
    To me the context was that Miley Cyrus has been taking such a shellacking just for acting lewd on stage, and yet this guy gets a pass for both onstage AND offstage antics. Its a huge double standard. If his wife doesn't mind, then good for him I guess. But it still reinforces the idea that a single young girl is taking such flack for sticking her tongue out and shaking her non-existent ass, while this guy gets his groin rubbed onstage by that same girl and later than same night plays with some other girl's ass, and its barely mentioned (and certainly not held up in the same light) in the press.

As far as how tame it is? The picture isn't that good, so I'd say it depends on whether or not that hand is just cupping, or if his fingers are wandering.

Right Guy

I agree with Spiffy's take on this. I did not know who Alan Thicke was until earlier this summer, when a controversy arose re: his song "Blurred Lines." I have never heard the song and I've made no effort to do so, but I do know who he is, in a very general sense.

I think that the picture is a comment on both Thicke and the woman in it too. She doesn't seem too concerned that his hand is giving her a gynecological exam, nor that his wife is only a few feet away. But, of course, the vast bulk of the responsibility lies with Thicke. If his wife is OK with him feeling up strange women, then that is their business. But, if not, I agree that his sleazy behavior is hardly admirable.

But I don't agree with the comparison with Miley Cyrus. Cyrus went out of her way to be lewd and lascivious in as public a way as possible. She invited derision and scrutiny and has, arguably, benefited from it enormously. In the case of Thicke, his conduct was in private, albeit at a party with photographers. The context is different.

ShaunN, Thicke was right there NEXT to Cyrus in the performance she's being roasted over. She's the devil woman for rubbing her ass on his cock, as if magically somehow he wasn't simultaneously rubbing his cock against her ass. So my point is that if you take this other incident, just a few hours later, and add it on top of the fact that people seem to be forgetting he was even PART of the VMA performance, then the double standard is even more blatant.

The very fact that you either saw the performance and forgot his involvement, or that you didn't see the performance and from the reporting and internet hullabaloo don't know of his involvement, is kind of the heart of this. If the first is the case, we have to ask ourselves what's made her part more memorable. If the second is the case, we should be asking why the reportage and comments are so selective between the two of them.