Gailsimone Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Face Off season 5 August 13th

Re: Face Off season 5 August 13th

Alanna, Laura, and Lanie had interesting designs, but I thought the execution lacked...something. I can't really put my finger on it. They did good work overall, though.

Roy, Adolfo, and Scott's bride looked cool, but the two looks really didn't go together. Also, the proportions on their Frankenstein was off. He had an interesting head apparatus, though.

Miranda, Eddie, and Sam's borg-inspired designs were clearly the worst. Miranda's contributions were acceptable, but it's pretty much amateur hour with Eddie and Sam.

Frank, Rick, and Eric had perhaps the dumbest backstory, but their makeups weren't bad. The female in particular looked pretty cool. I didn't like the red things (which looked like glowsticks) coming out of their backs. I didn't understand why Glenn insisted that it "makes no sense whatsoever" for Frankenstein to have a sad and confused expression. Frankenstein in the classic story was a sympathetic character, so he doesn't need to always be scary. It was a stupid criticism.

My favorites were Tate, RJ, and Lyma. Yes, Lyma's paint job was pretty bad up close, BUT the sculpt and costuming on both, and the paint job on their Frankenstein, all looked excellent to me, and the two designs were very cohesive. Plus, I found it refreshing that they didn't feel the need to sex up their bride. I think Glenn in particular doesn't appreciate it when the contestants don't play up the femininity and sex appeal of their female models, but fuck Glenn. Also, I found this team's backstory (re-animated soldiers to keep the third World War going once the world's armies were too decimated to continue) to be the most interesting.

The right person went home this week, but I'm not sure the right person won. Alana's makeup wasn't bad, but I didn't think it was the best thing presented this week. If anything, I thought her paint job was a bit flat.

two weeks in a row, I agree with the judges choices on who went home.

tho I wouldn't have given the win to Alanna -- Lanie's work on that wig is what did it for me, and she deserved it.

but a good season thus far, with some VERY strong competition!
    "do what bert says" - Flamestar (c/o Ouzo Man)

A sandwich is a sandwich, but a Manwich is a meal

"Evil people can do some non-evil things, and most of them do. That doesn't mean they aren't evil." -- JeffereyWKramer

Double elemination this week. Loved that Roy chose RJ. The two of them should work well together. Not thrilled with the subject matter though. Didn't they do this one already. Agreed that Roy's demon was the best in the foundation challenge.
    Hate me all you want, 95 % of the time I'm write.

I'm glad Frank stuck around tonight because I want to see him compete on his own. He seems to have matured as far as working on a team but its time to see him do his own thing.

Miranda deserved the win last night. I was disappointed by Tate abandoning his pumpkin right at the end.

Loved RJ and roy's cat in the fiddle but it reminded me of a mix of the bell hop and the chello player from the burtonesque challenge
    Hate me all you want, 95 % of the time I'm write.

The right person won, and the right people went home tonight (although it sucks to see Eric go home, he's so sweet).

The losing look wasn't terrible, but it did have it's share of flaws. It definitely was more creepy than whimsical as well.

Frank and Laura's deserved to be in the bottom, but I'm glad that they (or at least, Laura) weren't eliminated. The paint job was pretty bad, and the model sold it pretty well.

The pumpkin woman looked so awesome. Everything about it was perfectly done. There were other looks this week that were really good, but none were as polished and complete as this one. Totally deserved the win.

I didn't think the cat and the fiddle was executed very well, and I forgot who made that one. But the concept was cute.

I forgot who made the woman in the moon too, but whoever it was did nice work. Not perfect, but it definitely had a lot going for it, especially the amount of facial movement it allowed the model.

Lanie and Alana's pig woman was funny and gross, but in a good way.

I liked Lyma and Adolfo's Humpty Dumpty woman looked great. They went with a totally unexpected design and pulled it off very nicely.

I'm really impressed with the work overall this season. It's way more consistent than in the past. There are several looks in every episode that look fantastic, instead of only a handful of standouts like in previous seasons. Does anyone know if the contestants are given more time to complete their work this year? I always felt that that was probably a factor in the mediocre work in years past, and that they should be allowed at least one additional day to complete their designs. Maybe it's because half the contestants this time around are former competitors, and their experience gives them a leg up.

As for the foundation challenge, I wasn't that impressed with most of them. While Roy came up with an interesting concept, the point was to make their male models look female. And by painting the lower half of his model's face black, it looked like his character had a beard. He should have reversed it, and had the white half on the bottom of the face, and the black half on top. Or maybe choose a different part of the face for the color transition that wouldn't make it look like he had a beard.

I'm two weeks behind from Dragon*con, so not reading the thread yet. . but the FaceOff panels at the con were GREAT!

and they were very cool and hung out for pics after.

got to meet (and get pics with): Roy, RJ, Frank, Laura, and one of the newbies -- who's name I can't recall. . but he's the muscular one.

"Evil people can do some non-evil things, and most of them do. That doesn't mean they aren't evil." -- JeffereyWKramer

oh. . and SOMEONE on a panel revealed that they call Glenn "the tattooed Marshmallow"

won't say who, but he was referred to that several times, and when I called out "good one!". . the response was a finger on the nose. .

LOL

now caught up.

for the most part, this is by far the best season yet, with some really astounding make ups.

four weeks (or is it 5?) in, and I'm still agreeing pretty much every week with who is going home as having the weakest makeup, and although I have disagreed with them slightly on who should be winning, I cannot fault them on their choice. Miranda has been doing some stunning work.

Interesting follow up from Dragon*con. . I was talking to Laura, and she said she was awed and a bit embarrassed by the attention. . . since she's "only" a contestant on a reality show.

and i told her that, "yes, but your reality show is very different than most. On FaceOff, the contestants need to have TALENT, and *that* is why she has fans, as she is clearly very talented". . and I stand by that statement.

(oh, and also interesting from the panels -- many of the contestants have done work (for or with) the Judges. It appears to have no conflict in the judging -- something I'll agree with, based on what we see on the show). . but the Judges are intimately familiar with the majority of the contestants, and what their skillsets are. . . . something I wasn't aware of).