BENDIS! Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How Big Is Your Comic Book Backlog?

Re: How Big Is Your Comic Book Backlog?

Quote Originally Posted by R0cketFr0g View Post
    I also like girth in my back log.

The X-Statix Omnibus makes mine particularly thick.
    I'm still slowly working my way through X-Statix. At my current rate I will finish it in time to celebrate the 10th anniversary of me buying the book.
    Quote Originally Posted by CPA View Post
    Wow - I always love how the dialogue on this board descends into someone calling someone else a racist because the high minded liberals dont like to discuss things.
    Quote Originally Posted by CPA View Post
    You are too smart for me Kedd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post

I had a problem where I was putting a few series on the backburner, and my stack grew and grew. I worked my way through most of them, though, and all that's left to catch up on is Unwritten and the Transformers comics.

several big boxes, including full runs of Preacher, Starman, Invisibles, Lucifer ...

I used to have a list, maybe I should try to update it.

Around 100 graphic novels.
    "You may be a genius" — MACK!

Right Guy
    I'm guessing around 10000 worth. I buy way faster than I read. Lord knows on tpb/hc. Probably about 6-700 of those also.

The dark underbelly of injury and bureaucracy

Heh. I was thinking about this the other day. I have around 1000 TPBs and OGNs on my book shelves. Plenty more comics in boxes and in digital form. If I read one a day, it would take me 3 years to get through it all. I still haven't read about half of them and this is after numerous culls to thin the herd.

I decided to severely limit my purchases to just a few nicer collections a year or to use my public library for more current stuff.

And it isn't just comics. I have way too much media. Too many albums I never listen to. Too many movies and TV shows I never watch. Too many books I haven't read.

I think there is something perverse and unhealthy about the desire to continue purchasing goods without ever consuming them. It is nerd hoarding.

If I never purchased another piece of media again, I would still have more than I could ever get through.
    "Don't believe everything you read on the internet. That's how World War I got started." - Abraham Lincoln

"90% of what I write is sarcasm -- the other half is bullshit."

30 or 40, tops. Any time the stack gets much bigger I cut back. In dollars per minute of entertainment, comics are pretty expensive. In terms of how much time I spend reading comics, that's probably 3 or 4 months worth.

By comparison (and thanks to used bookstores, library sales, and Half-Price Books), my unread books are probably about 300 to 400. That's about 8-10 years at my current pace. When I retire, I'll probably go back to reading several hundred books per year, so I consider that stack part of my retirement savings.

I keep up on the new books pretty well. Unless something slips through the cracks I usually read all the new books I get by Saturday. It is the back issue I buy that pile up. That kind of makes it fun though. Digging through a long box and suddenly finding a run I forgot I bought. I was sorting though my Uncanny books the other night and read a bunch of late 100 issues I have never read before.

Have at least 18+ unread trades/graphic novels, plus about 3 or 4 stray digital issues I still need to read.

Nothing in and of itself, but that's in addition to my sizable prose-book/kindle backlog, podcast backlog, Netflix/Hulu backlog, etc.

I am drowning in media please kill me.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Randy View Post
    Heh. I was thinking about this the other day. I have around 1000 TPBs and OGNs on my book shelves. Plenty more comics in boxes and in digital form. If I read one a day, it would take me 3 years to get through it all. I still haven't read about half of them and this is after numerous culls to thin the herd.

I decided to severely limit my purchases to just a few nicer collections a year or to use my public library for more current stuff.

And it isn't just comics. I have way too much media. Too many albums I never listen to. Too many movies and TV shows I never watch. Too many books I haven't read.

I think there is something perverse and unhealthy about the desire to continue purchasing goods without ever consuming them. It is nerd hoarding.

If I never purchased another piece of media again, I would still have more than I could ever get through.
    This seems to be the plight of the posters in this thread.

I also feel like scum because I'll go through phases where I want to read up on, say, the canonized works of lit from the last 100 years, and I'll amass the institutionalized gems. Or I'll start casually reading about, like, the New Hollywood period/directors, and so I'll snatch up a bunch of Blu Rays. Same with comics. They'll sit there, and I often make my selections, in part, by thinking about what the bookshelf/media case would look like to a fellow dilettante and if I'd pass the reference test.

Like, I bought the criterion of Belle De Jour mostly because of the cover and how it diversifies my Blu Ray rack. That's just some "shoot me" shit right there. It's the same old 20something propensity to identify yourself with what media you like/consume/wear as a fashion statement. That's just the worst. I need a personality or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by masculine todd
    yeah but shut up everyone they got bin laden
    Visit my website: http://chicksontheright.com/

just whitepeople with problems. just watchin baby boy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Sasha View Post
    Todd. You're our T.S. Eliot.