KellySue Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backmatter

Backmatter

I've got significant space for backmatter in Pretty Deadly and some thoughts about what I'd like to do with it, but I want to know what you think. What do you consider backmatter that adds value to your comics? What have you especially enjoyed? Anything you'd really like to see?

Re: Backmatter

I always liked:

Seeing the script that the penciler worked from alongside panels or sketches
    Anything from the writer about inspiration (Ellis' Fell comes to mind because of the deranged stuff that was in there)
    Character renditions by other artists
    Brian Wood and Becky Cloonan's playlists

I've never seen this done, but some kinds of blooper reel would be fun.

I think the backmatter can be very important to the tone and flow of the book. I read CASANOVA differently the first time in TPB than I did after reading the backmatter in the floppies (I can think of no way for this to make sense outside of my skull). That said, I would like to see your thoughts that did not make it into the book and your thoughts on, well, anything, some of my favorite letter columns are the first few issues of James Robinson's STARMAN before anyone had written letters. I am also enjoyed Brubaker's guest essays in CRIMINAL.

But really, whatever, your book, your backmatter, have fun.

really looking forward to pretty deadly but backmatter is often completely ignored when i read a book. so whether it's there or not, no big deal. if NOT having it makes the monthly book cheaper i will always choose to not have it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Defferding View Post
    Nah. Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting dirty for.

I don't know how you'd do this, but I'd love to see something that really shows the collaborative process between you and Emma. Some way of giving the reader behind-the-scenes 'footage' that allows us to see the way things developed on a co-created project... Maybe, for example, everything from snippets of emails exchanged between the two of you, to character sketches, written concepts and pitch material, a glimpse of script pages... I dunno, just ideas. But I'd find some of that very cool.

Cheers,
    Kaz

3-D glasses and an order form for sea monkeys.
    Funnybook of the Week - I read 'em, I rank 'em. Based on nothing more than my personal enjoyment.

Twitter Feed - Just as inane as a blog, but shorter.

Quote Originally Posted by SidekicksRevenge View Post
    3-D glasses and an order form for sea monkeys.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by sidekicksrevenge View Post
    3-d glasses and an order form for sea monkeys.
    would that we could.

Quote Originally Posted by RegularJoe View Post
    really looking forward to pretty deadly but backmatter is often completely ignored when i read a book. so whether it's there or not, no big deal. if NOT having it makes the monthly book cheaper i will always choose to not have it.
    The it isn't actually all that expensive to add text pages to a comic -- for the number of issues I think we can expect to sell, we've settled on a price point that's the least we can charge and still stand a chance of covering our nut (and that will still cut it close unless PD is some kind of runaway hit, which would be GREAT, but I don't expect it. Not out of the gate for sure).

I want to give you as much value as I can. You'll get more comics pages than a standard cape book, plus backmatter (and still at a lower price than most comics). I could fill the backmatter with house ads, but I'd rather offer something that enhances the reading experience -- if such a thing is possible.
    Last edited by Kelly Sue; 05-02-2013 at 03:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Sue View Post
    The it isn't actually all that expensive to add text pages to a comic -- for the number of issues I think we can expect to sell, we've settled on a price point that's the least we can charge and still stand a chance of covering our nut (and that will still cut it close unless PD is some kind of runaway hit, which would be GREAT, but I don't expect it. Not out of the gate for sure).

I want to give you as much value as I can. You'll get more comics pages than a standard cape book, plus backmatter (and still at a lower price than most comics). I could fill the backmatter with house ads, but I'd rather offer something that enhances the reading experience -- if such a thing is possible.
    i'm kind of in the minority about back matter. it doesn't add anything for me. doesn't detract, either. and since it's no impact on the price, do your thang.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Defferding View Post
    Nah. Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting dirty for.