BENDIS! Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Restoring an English Manor House

Re: Restoring an English Manor House

Quote Originally Posted by dasNdanger View Post
    I know of an old house. It isn't a grand house by any stretch of the imagination - I'd say it's maybe 2000 square feet, two story (maybe three if it has an attic), all wood construction, right on a busy intersection (and almost IN the intersection, it's that close to the road). Most people called it ugly. When it was for sale most people also said it should be torn down. Fortunately a guy bought it who realized the historical value of the home. For one, it supposedly was used as a brothel during WWII. Over the past ten years or so he's very slowly restored it, trying to keep it as historically accurate as possible, and at times using wood and other parts of old houses that are being torn down. It's not a mansion. It's not even a 'pretty' house...looks more like a barn. But you know what? He's taken his time and he's really made something of the place. I don't think he'll ever really be finished with the house, but with old places I don't think you ever can be finished with them. It's almost like they're alive, and they need constant care and attention - and love - if they're going to keep on standing.

das
    Has he filled it with hookers to maintain historical accuracy?
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeandzod87 View Post
    ...you are one disturbed individual. Seriously, that's like something out of a Garth Ennis comic

Quote Originally Posted by Jason California View Post
    You get used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Taxman View Post
    Just because something is old doesn't make it significant. What are we talking about here most of the time, some lordship that went bankrupt centuries ago? Why should the taxpayer pick up the tab to make some anonymous family look better? It's all relative. There are many things of more historical value than these burnt out wrecks that have been lost already. It's really not going to impress me much, either way.
    But...otherwise Darth Furry would not have talked about them...
    ...you are one disturbed individual. Seriously, that's like something out of a Garth Ennis comic

You get used to it.

Woodfold Hall

Another shell that was turned back into a home:

Here is a picture of the restored home:

Quote Originally Posted by R0cketFr0g View Post
    Has he filled it with hookers to maintain historical accuracy?
    See...I'm such a rugby fan that when you said 'hookers', I immediately thought of this:

(Bald dude's position is 'hooker')

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    Woodfold Hall

Another shell that was turned back into a home:

[img]http://www.cottontown.org/Nimoi/sites/CT/resources/jDaniel%20Thwaites%20P7%20No2.jpg

[img]http://www.cottontown.org/Nimoi/sites/CT/resources/jb04609.jpg

Here is a picture of the restored home:

[img]http://media.rightmove.co.uk/13k/12956/25719417/12956_62205_1604_IMG_00_0000_max_620x414.jpg

[video=youtube_share;Ez_pzQdPebc]http://youtu.be/Ez_pzQdPebc
    Very nice, though I would prefer a less 'modern' feel to the interior. Is it apartments or a hotel now? (The rooms don't look very big, that's why I ask.)

das

Very nice, though I would prefer a less 'modern' feel to the interior. Is it apartments or a hotel now? (The rooms don't look very big, that's why I ask.)

das
    Hi Das,
    Woodfold Hall was converted into modern luxury apartment building, which is the reason why it looks the way it does. It would had been nice to see the home restored to how it was around the time when it was built with the period era fittings and furniture like South Wraxall Manor. Speaking of South Wraxall Manor, the original plan for the home was to become a hotel. But the developer didn't have to money to carry out that conversion. Thus it lingered until to it was purchased by John Taylor(of Duran Duran) and Gela Nash-Taylor(founder of Juicy Couture) who kept the home as a private residence. If South Wraxall Manor was converted to a hotel, it might not have turned out very well because it would have been altered like Woodfold Hall. But anything is better than keeping her as a ruined shell.

Quote Originally Posted by jason hissong View Post
    I have no idea, but I like the last one the best.
    http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNDIzMTAwMTA4.html?x

See...I'm such a rugby fan that when you said 'hookers', I immediately thought of this:

(Bald dude's position is 'hooker')
    And I'm such a hooker fan that your picture drove me to craigslist to buy a lady!

You get used to it.

Are there examples of 2 manor homes that are are near each other, that I could connect underground with completely modern technology for my secret lair?
    Quote Originally Posted by RickLM View Post
    Is this where Jason becomes a dick about semantics?

Quote Originally Posted by R0cketFr0g View Post
    And I'm such a hooker fan that your picture drove me to craigslist to buy a lady!
    You've got the pox, doncha?

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    Hi Das,...But anything is better than keeping her as a ruined shell.
    Two questions:

1. How did these homes become ruined shells? Fire? WWII? Neglect?

2. Has anyone considered taking the ruined shell and turning it into a botanical garden? I know gardens are very popular in Britain, and I must admit to liking the aesthetics of lush gardens among the ruins.

das

You've got the pox, doncha?

Two questions:

1. How did these homes become ruined shells? Fire? WWII? Neglect?

2. Has anyone considered taking the ruined shell and turning it into a botanical garden? I know gardens are very popular in Britain, and I must admit to liking the aesthetics of lush gardens among the ruins.

das
    Hi Das,
    To answer your question as to why some of the English Country homes became ruins are:

1. Abandoned because the owner could not afford to maintain it anymore.
    2. The home gets to sold to a demolition company who stripped the house and reduce it to a shell.
    3. Fire. No fire prevention system in place.

And to answer your second question regarding turning a ruined shell and making it into a botanical garden, here is link that you will find interesting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lowther_Castle
    http://www.lowthercastle.org/