Gailsimone Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Non-violence in video games

Non-violence in video games

I've been playing MMOGs for years. In one of the first ones I played, which was heavy on the RP, I played a healer who never killed things, only healed. It was quite challenging to play, but added to the atmosphere of the game for me.

I never tried anything like that before in World of Warcraft because the RP just isn't there to support it, even on official RP servers. But then the other day I heard about a guild called <Peace Corps> who don't kill anything at all.

Now this is quite challenging in a game whose main mechanic relies on you killing stuff to earn experience to progress in levels. I'm not sure it would have even been possible a year or two ago, but recently there have been enough alternate ways of gaining experience points to make it possible to progress in a fighting game without fighting.

So I gave it a try, and you know what? It's remarkably de-stressing. You don't have to worry about having the right gear, because you don't fight anything. You don't worry you might die, because it happens all the time, and you just pick yourself up, brush yourself off and continue on your way. It's also not nearly as boring as you might expect, and you get to take time to smell the roses, see stuff you rushed through before. It's also quite satisfying to look up your stats to see the "Kills" page where everything is zero.

Not that I'd want to do this all the time, but it makes a nice break from the more regular style of play.
    Real friends don't blow up your pony.

Re: Non-violence in video games

What I thought when I saw the thread title.

"Don't trust anyone who isn't angry."
    -John Trudell

I don't have the computer system to support it, and I'd probably be terrible at it, but I'm always curious about games like Deus Ex and Dishonored where it's possible to play without killing anyone. I sometimes like to try and play FTL while trying not to attack anyone. I think there might be a special achievement for that.

Non violence?

Wouldn't do me much good in WWE 13.
    Independence... Nah!!!

If you haven't tried it before, Karen, you might want to take a look at Second Life. Lots of exploring and world building when I took a look at it but admittedly that was a couple of years ago.
    Oh and if a mod would kindly delete the living hell out of this tread so I do not continue to look like a total tool, I'd appreciate it.

- a wise man

My comic - The Necropolis Chronicles - can be bought here:
    Issue 1, 24 pages:
    http://www.indyplanet.com/index.php?id=152
    Issue 2, 24 pages:
    http://www.indyplanet.com/index.php?id=151
    Book 2, 48 pages, all new story arc:
    http://www.indyplanet.com/index.php?id=4454

Remember the Oddworld games? Those were kinda neat too. Your mission was to lead your fellow (whatever kinda creatures those were) out of captivity. All you had was a vocabulary of a few words (like "follow me" and "wait") and the power to "possess" other creatures and make them do your bidding. You could also fart too, which came in handy in some situations (and made the other captives giggle). It was very challenging and fun in a unique kind of way.

I was also a big fan of Ecco the Dolphin on the Genesis. That was more of a problem/puzzle-solving game too. I think there are definitely a lot of fun alternatives to games that are just about mindless destruction.
    Last edited by stevapalooza; 12-24-2012 at 01:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DungeonMasterJim View Post
    If you haven't tried it before, Karen, you might want to take a look at Second Life. Lots of exploring and world building when I took a look at it but admittedly that was a couple of years ago.
    Second Life, many argue, isn't a game. There's no objective, no levels, no points, etc. It's a social environment that happens to be online. Personally, I spend a fair amount of my time in there in a blues club. It's not a starting point for an adventure, no one is going to come in to start a fight, it's a place to go listen to blues, and dance with someone if you're so inclined.

From what you're saying, Karen, it might be worth a look for you. If you do, feel free to PM me and I'll give you my contact info in there if you'd like a guide for the first bit of getting used to things.
    My first novel is up Amazon Kindle at http://www.amazon.com/In-My-Brothers...8184334&sr=1-1

And now in paperback, too!

I can think of action games where you have the choice as to whether or not you kill civilians or good guys but I'm straining my brain trying to think of an action-oriented title you could actually complete without harming anyone.

You can non-fatally take down foes in Assassins Creed but you still have to beat their asses, in most cases.

Deus Ex: HR, original Fallout, and Spec Ops: The Line all come to mind. You can also avoid quite a bit of combat in the Splinter Cell and Elder Scrolls series, but you're forced to kill someone eventually most of the time.
    Current Favorite DC Book: Calendar of Small Events
    Current Favorite Marvel Book: Hawkeye

Grifter

I remember in Mirror's Edge, you were hindered if you did any violent actions. That was the only game I felt inclined to do a no kill run in.