Gailsimone Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Thread: Most Awkward Multilingual Checkout Experience

Most Awkward Multilingual Checkout Experience

So, I stopped at a little convenience store today on my way to do laundry. This was a big load of laundry, so I was already feeling (and looking) disheveled.

The cashier, who was Latina, was conversing with friends in a low tone. I assumed it was Spanish. I always apologise whenever I interrupt a cashier who is eating or socializing. I said I was sorry. She hesitated. I repeated, this time in Spanish, "Lo Siento!"

I decided to buy something behind the counter. I started pointing at it but she grabbed the wrong one. I said, "The one to the left." She went right. I mumbled back, "No es la una en la derecha. El otro direccion!" She couldn't hear me very well. I suddenly wasn't sure she spoke Spanish.

I asked if she spoke Spanish. She nodded. I said, "I'd like the white one." She looked blank and then got me a blue one. I replied, more and more nervously, "La una que es blanca. No quierro la una que es... que es... Nein. Das ist blau. Lo siento. Lo siento. Spreken ze deutsch? Oy vey." I trailed off laughing, clutching my forehead. "Lo siento. Perro je ne veux pas. Je veux la otra una."

I'd lost her. I think I lost myself at this point. I tried using my credit card but their reader was down. Her father came over and started running my credit card repeatedly and pressing buttons. No dice. The line was down.

I stammered, "I-I can pay cash." I reached into my wallet for my last two $1 bills. Then I went for quarters. Then nickels. I was 40 cents short. I excused myself to go change diving in my car while the man pounded his fist against his credit card machine, smacking it.

I came back with two dimes and started digging through my jacket pockets when, at last, the man said, "That. That is fine. You have nice day." All the while, his daughter staring at me, with a mix of stun and pity on her face.

I took my purchases and rushed out of there. Of course, now I had to get cash for laundry. Queue another adventure.

Re: Most Awkward Multilingual Checkout Experience

Does your accent suck maybe? I mean to be honest, your spelling is off, so I do have to ask about your accent.

Re: Most Awkward Multilingual Checkout Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Spiffy View Post
    Does your accent suck maybe? I mean to be honest, your spelling is off, so I do have to ask about your accent.
    Probably.