Gailsimone Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is your "devil liquor"?

Re: What is your "devil liquor"?

I don't actually have one. I've had the classic hangover -- headache, nausea, etc., exactly once and the cause wasn't one that I already had any antipathy for, so it didn't stop me from drinking it.

Pretty heavily Scots/Irish ancestry on both sides, as near as we can tell -- I seem to have got the "high tolerance for alcohol" gene.

Tequila is indeed devil's brew. I have stories. Which were long ago and I won't repeat in case my kids somehow stumble across it.

At the moment, I like the different flavors of vodka that I can mix with various things.

Red wine makes me sick to my stomach most of the time. I'm told it has something to do with the composition of inferior reds?
    A Jewish seamstress in a steampunked Victorian London hires a consulting detective to solve a magical murder mystery.
    --The Curse of the Brimstone Contract by Corrina Lawson

Haven't found one yet.

Probably vodka.

I mean, I don't quite get the biochemistry of different liquors hitting people differently enough so that we have varying answers to this... but... I know from observation that its true. Its odd.

For me its probably vodka, because its so easy to unintentionally/unconsciously add too much. Gin, I don't drink. Bourbon or Scotch I drink straight, so it doesn't happen. Tequila I mix, but because its taste is so distinctive, I have to make an actual mistake to add too much, and then when I taste it be in a mood to deliberately ignore the situation (to still overindulge I mean). But vodka? So easy to miscalculate, since you can barely taste it.

Quote Originally Posted by CutterMike View Post
    I don't actually have one. I've had the classic hangover -- headache, nausea, etc., exactly once and the cause wasn't one that I already had any antipathy for, so it didn't stop me from drinking it.

Pretty heavily Scots/Irish ancestry on both sides, as near as we can tell -- I seem to have got the "high tolerance for alcohol" gene.
    For me, mostly alcohol puts me to sleep before I can consume enough to test my other limits. I'll yawn and get heavy lidded while everyone else is getting wild, or sick, or angry, or chipper, or horny.

I guess that gets back to individual biochemistry again.
    Last edited by Spiffy; 12-23-2012 at 10:48 PM.

It used to be Mezcal.

Now it's Fishbowls. I drank the sludge at the bottom on a dare. I have a corn syrup allergy. It was basically like a two day asthma attack with a migraine and bronchitis after that.

Never really had a true hangover otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiffy View Post
    Probably vodka.

I mean, I don't quite get the biochemistry of different liquors hitting people differently enough so that we have varying answers to this... but... I know from observation that its true. Its odd.

For me its probably vodka, because its so easy to unintentionally/unconsciously add too much. Gin, I don't drink. Bourbon or Scotch I drink straight, so it doesn't happen. Tequila I mix, but because its taste is so distinctive, I have to make an actual mistake to add too much, and then when I taste it be in a mood to deliberately ignore the situation (to still overindulge I mean). But vodka? So easy to miscalculate, since you can barely taste it.
    The alcohol itself probably doesn't aside from its dispersal pattern and speed into the bloodstream.

But latent brain chemistry differences and neurological issues seem to be triggered (and triggered differently) by all kinds of substances and, I think, the effects get amplified when paired with intoxication.

Take chocolate. The high cacao stuff does nothing for me unless I'm having an anxiety attack. Salmon and fish oils also seem to help with that. But I get a noticeable high off of white fudge, regardless of my mood.

I suppose it makes sense. White chocolate produces a sugar buzz. Whereas dark chocolate increases serotonin levels.

Any of that chemistry has a reaction in food... and so probably gets compounded with alcohol, with lowered inhibitions.

Spiffy, I have no idea why, but yeah, different stuff effects people differently.

My wife can match most men drink for drink and keep up just fine... unless it's wine. For whatever reason, one glass and she's tipsy, two and she's pretty gone. Neither of us know why, but it happens every time.
    My first novel is up Amazon Kindle at http://www.amazon.com/In-My-Brothers...8184334&sr=1-1

And now in paperback, too!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingsmythe View Post
    Spiffy, I have no idea why, but yeah, different stuff effects people differently.

My wife can match most men drink for drink and keep up just fine... unless it's wine. For whatever reason, one glass and she's tipsy, two and she's pretty gone. Neither of us know why, but it happens every time.
    Is it both white AND red wine?

I mean the obvious difference are the many chemicals in the grape skin. There are the many alleged long-term health benefits to those extra chemicals, but there's a decent chance I'd say that they effect the resulting short-term brain chemistry too.

I'm positive on white. Not as sure on red, she doesn't like it as much so doesn't drink it much. I don't think she'd like me calling her at four in the moring in to ask.
    My first novel is up Amazon Kindle at http://www.amazon.com/In-My-Brothers...8184334&sr=1-1

And now in paperback, too!

Quote Originally Posted by Mogo View Post
    Jaegermeister. Now, tequila, that's my poison... I drink it like water and prefer Lunazul.
    That shit is totally Foul. just the smell of it makes me want to hurl.