Gailsimone Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is your "devil liquor"?

What is your "devil liquor"?

I think everyone who drinks alcohol has one of these - the one drink that treated you so badly, left your body a wreck and your mind a shambles, that you can't even smell it now without feeling ill.

For me, it's tequila. Years ago, I worked in a pub, and we had a staff lock-in one night. Now, British breweries are notoriously tight-fisted, so we couldn't really drink anything from stock. The manager had put a few hundred quid on the bar but once we'd drunk through that, we started buying drinks from the off-license across the road. One guy bought a few bottles of cheap & nasty tequila and insisted we do shots. Keep in mind we'd already been drinking enough to get a buzz by this point, so no-one objected. I'd had tequila before to no ill-effect, so I went along with it, did the whole salt-shot-lemon tradition, the works.

The next day, I was so riotously ill that I was vomiting beyond actually having stomach contents. Incredibly unpleasant, and all the while the revolting aftertaste & stench of tequila. I've never been able to even catch a sniff of the stuff since without wanting to retch. It is my devil's liquor.

Anyone else have one?

Banned

Re: What is your "devil liquor"?

As I said in the chat thread, for me it's bourbon. The first time I ever got sick drinking it was from bourbon. And I think a lot of people have that same problem with whatever first made them ill. I barely remember the incident, as it was so long ago. But I think it may have been after a Van Halen concert. Heh. It was in the middle 80s, sometime. Of that I'm sure.

I can, for unknown reasons that defy any and all logic, drink Maker's Mark though.

Ice 101. The only time I've ever thrown up or had a hang over was after drinking too much of Ice 101.

Or as it's more commonly known : Kerosene

Jaegermeister. Now, tequila, that's my poison... I drink it like water and prefer Lunazul.

Grapefuit juice.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lester C. View Post
    Grapefuit juice.
    HAHA! It's funny you would say that. Grapefruit juice once me throw-up, but I never had to stop drinking it -- until some BS acute pancreatitis. So now, I basically have to avoid stuff like grapefruit juice and orange juice and, presumably, liquor. That last one is never going to happen, though.

Gin.

I was never really into gin, but the summer of my five-year high school reuntion, a friend that I was living with got me into drinking G&Ts. Fast-forward to the actual reunion, and the open bar, I got stupid drunk, smelled of gin the whole next day, ruined an iPod, and have never had gin since.

I don't drink alcohol at all.

My Dad and Grandad were both pretty nasty on rum though. My Dad rarely drinks, usually only a couple at family parties but he avoids rum entirely.

My Dad said that he came home one night after having drunk rum and had punched hell out of a wall so much his hands were badly cut. He hadn't been in a fight but a guy had been giving my Dad and his friends problems all night and my Dad was angry at what happened.

My Grandad was apparently very friendly and happy if he drunk whiskey but bad tempered if he drunk rum.
    Independence... Nah!!!

I don't have one now. For many years it was tequila, due to an incident in Mexico.

Short version: we were skin diving all day, coming back, all tired all ready. Then the boat crew started pushing soda glasses, like large tumblers, of tequila. I had a few. I was fine, on the boat. Moment I got off the boat, the dock was lurching and heaving under my feet like a rabid horse that stepped on a spike. That was one of the most wretched experiences of my life. I've finally gotten over it.

Moral of the story: don't get drunk on a smallish boat. I am never never doing that again. No matter how cute the girl with the tequila is.
    My first novel is up Amazon Kindle at http://www.amazon.com/In-My-Brothers...8184334&sr=1-1

And now in paperback, too!

Jameson. It's also my "God" liquor.