Gailsimone Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Thread: Do you ever just get the urge to diagram something?

Do you ever just get the urge to diagram something?

I'm reading a sci-fi novel and got to a point with a rather elementary description of distance between objects in a three-dimensional space (Describing travel to planets with a minimum-distance-from-star requirement for entry to the stellar system), and for some bizarre reason I just could not form a proper image of this in my head. I kept thinking "wouldn't it be the same distance even if you weren't on the ecliptic?" (Yes, I know how idiotic that is, I don't know why my mind kept going there) so I got on my computer and made a model of the situation to graph it out and, voila, it's so obvious (When traveling to something located in the ecliptic of a star system and there is a minimum-distance-from-star arrival area that encircles the star in a perfect sphere then of course the point of arrival with the shortest distance to travel would also be on the ecliptic). However, after I did that I had a thought: Holy shit, I seriously just made a graph to illustrate the navigation of spaceships in a sci-fi book I'm reading. I mean I've always known I was a nerd, that's not exactly news, but this is just an extra frelling level of nerdery. After that thought I had another: How often do you work out the actual science behind your fiction?

Excepting soft sci-fi of course (Frakking Star Trek and their "We're traveling faster than the speed of light, but it will still take thirty seconds to travel one hundred thousand kilometers, even though when we travel slower than the speed of light at other times we can cross an entire star system in a few hours") do you ever try to seriously analyze your sci-fi? When they mention distances, travel time, time-dilation from relativity, and other things that we can understand in real life do you ever check the math to make sure it stands up? Do you ever just sit down with pen and paper (Or, now-a-days, in front of your computer) and diagram out the whole thing to see if it all fits together?

EDIT: I didn't save my original graph, but here's a quick recreation to show what I meant:

Last edited by JBK405; 12-22-2012 at 09:00 PM.
    Life is like a roller coaster. It has its ups and downs, but if you sit back and relax you get a heck of a ride.

Re: Do you ever just get the urge to diagram something?

No. But sometimes I stare at the numbers on a digital clock long enough they start to dance

Banned

Sometimes, yes. I have had an urge to make ... are they called "info graphs?" I get very irritated when people throw out numbers that they clearly don't understand, and I want to make these info graphs, but I don't actually know how to do it, yet.

We all have to fight those urges. They're unnatural.

I recently made an probability chart for a party game where I thought the odds were worse than what I'd been told. I was right.
    Current Favorite DC Book: Calendar of Small Events
    Current Favorite Marvel Book: Hawkeye

I have recently had the urge to try and properly chart out the multiple time lines and present situations of all of the characters from "Morning Glories"

If you ever do, can I get a copy of that?
    Life is like a roller coaster. It has its ups and downs, but if you sit back and relax you get a heck of a ride.