Gailsimone Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Comics This Week (12/19/12)

New Comics This Week (12/19/12)

Holy Sweet Potatoes was this week a wild ride. Some real stinkers (So bad I've dropped those books), but also some of the best work I have ever read.

The Whistling Skull #1: A very interesting book, I'm actually not familiar with the Whistling Skull, who I'm assuming is a pre-existing character given the JSA header. The art didn't really work for me, which is critical for a first exposure to new concept to really hook the reader, but I am intrigued at the chain of events leading from Switzerland to Japan.

Green Hornet #32: Has Jai Nitz ever read anything related to the Green Hornet? Listened to the radio series? Seen the TV show? Even seen the movie for Pete's sake? I don't see how he could have made something more un-Hornet if he was deliberately trying. Except for the bit about the hat, which was admittedly hilarious and a great commentary on that invulnerable frelling hat, this just torpedoed any remaining faith I had in this series. I've never exactly been overflowing with praise for this series, but it's been tolerable and good enough for my money each month. Now I'm begrudging the three bucks it cost me today, and I've officially taken it off my order list. For shame.

Catwoman #15: Ann Nocenti either needs a better outline before she starts writing, or a better editor to reel her in at the end. This actually wasn't a bad story, but things began to really jump around when Selina was pulling off the actual heist and I'm getting the feeling that there's five pages worth of stuff that was never properly imparted to the reader; so (Like I said), she needs to either plan these things better, or somebody needs to come to her afterwards and say "Can you fill in these holes?". Also, though there's nowhere near the disconnect I feared with her #0, she seems to have missed the point of Winnick's initial run, which was about Selina realizing that she was losing control and needed to stabilize herself, whereas here she's back to "Control? Me? Ha, that's idiotic, I'm never going to stop my on-the-edge-hedonism and it will never come back to get me in trouble ever!" Also also, Selina's not a moron; when she hears the prase "black diamond" and "portal to hell" she's going to realize it's not an actual diamond, right?

Wonder Woman #15: Okay, all my past complaints and whinings still stand, I'm not changing my stance on that, but Orion vs Diana! OMFG ORION VERSUS DIANA! Frak yeah! Now if we could have just gotten to this point without all that came before.

Sword of Sorcery #3: I have to say, I am really starting to love this series, and it's growing on me more and more each month. I absolutely love that they're still explaining all the trappings of how magic works and addressing all the points that most fantasy series never bother to address (Like the ability of a winged animal to generate sufficient lift to achieve flight in defiance of the laws of physics as they relate to mass, movement, etc. and how people with arms like sticks can pick up weapons that weigh more than they do and swing them like foam). I'm really enjoying the relationship between Amaya and Ingvie, it seems like actual friendship which is so rarely portrayd well, and I didn't even mind the obligatory "How can something 'suck'" exchange which is so cliched but was executed as well as can be done. The Beowulf backup was great, too; I wonder if this is the "official" future of the DCnU, or part of the multiverse?

Supergirl #15: *Sigh* Haven't we been over this before? It's Supergirl's series, let it be her series. We're still apparently telling the story in two separate titles and, since I don't read Superman, that means I'm missing half the story, and they don't even give us the "What happened last time" in the story itself (Just a "See Issue XXX" caption). However, like I also said last month, what we do get of her own series is wonderful; seeing her and Tali (Must....resist.....nar Rayya joke....Keela Selai!) was great. Like I said for SoS above I love seeing an actual friendship, two peple who enjoy each other's company and who, upon being separated, are sad to see their time together end. That was great.

Daredevil #21: Well that was solidly messed up. Anybody else going to be having nightmares over Spot? Just wrong. I do like finally seeing Daredevil take charge instead of being the chew toy for the past several issues, and he gave Foggy that talking-to that he really deserved. That ending, and Kirsten's double-take, were great and have me eagerly awaiting next month's issue. I do, however, have to wonder why she's still after Matt; it could be that Foggy just hasn't gotten around to submitting the evidence yet, but that should be enough to call the whole thing off. I hope this isn't a fake cliffhanger, where the next issue starts with her backing down after she gets the info. Also: Crush him!

Rachel Rising #13: I'm going to be honest, Earl clearly has some issues, I'm not in denial about that, but he is also closing in on my #1 Hero spot right about now. When you've got what's clearly an unhealthy attachment and somebody else is actually urging you to take disturbing action and you say no, that's wrong, and back that I up I say bravo. It's all sick and twisted, but Earl did the right thing.

Captain Marvel #8: This might have been the solidly most AWESOME issue of the week: Monica and Carol just kicking some robot ass! No moral quandries, no lingering issues, just two kick-ass women kicking ass like nobody's business. If Monica isn't at least a recurring guest-star I'll be disappointed, they worked so well together (Then again, I can't imagine a pair that wouldn't work with Carol, she's been gold this entire series). I really can't undersell just how much fun this series has been and the art was perfect: After Carol and Monica merge and Carol's glowing...I'll tell you right now, if that was a poster I'd buy it, if it was a shirt I'd wear it, and if that was a movie or TV show I'd see it.

Saga #8: What's to say about this series that hasn't already been said? Alana was just so bright in the opening that I wish I could meet her in real life and we could talk about books, she would be fantastic to get to know. Seeing Hazel sleep on her chest was also one of the most adorable things I've ever seen, and that includes the next seen where there's a dude sewing with flowers. Marko actually sticking to his vow of non-violence was great, particularly as he ponts out that, in this situation, they're the bad guys. Just aces all the way around.

Batwoman #15: See all that praise I've been throwing around up above this paragraph? Throw it all together and double it for this issue. I've been asking for more Maggie for week's now and, even though this issue means we need to wait another month for the Kate/Maggie reunion, it is totally worth it as this issue blew me the hell away. Her narration was just so painful yet determined, I felt along with her. This issue showed that she really is a damn good cop when the shit hits the fans, which can easily be forgotten in a comic with capes and gods running around, and helped us understand just a little bit more of what made her who she is today (Although I must admit that the introduction of an abusive childhod, though powerful, doesn't really jive with Maggie's history as I understand it, and might even be an explicit retcon. Part of the conflict of Half a Life when Renee was outed and Maggie tried to offer some comfort was that their backgrounds were too disparate for it to be a similar experience, including an explicit statement that Maggie did not grow up in a Roman Catholic household and wouldn't need to worry about her parents cursing her to hell). We felt disoriented and pained right along with her as her mind drifted and was jerked around by what she was experiencing and as she tries to salvage anything from the situation. Good god damn this hit me hard. I honestly cannot recommend this enough, it is almost perfect.

I also noticed Black Lighting and Blue Devil for the first time (How did I miss the first two issues?) and considered buying all three (It'd have to be pretty bad for not to buy something with Black Lightning and Blue Devil). Then I opened the first issue and...ugh....it started with the two heroes fighting, even after one of them actually managed to say "I'm not a villain." That was enough right there for me to put it back.
    Life is like a roller coaster. It has its ups and downs, but if you sit back and relax you get a heck of a ride.

~*~ DISNEY PRINCESS ~*~ Slewo.O's Avatar
    I wouldn't worry about where Beowulf takes place. I mean you have Rotworld and Batman Inc #5 setting in the future despite being contradictory. It's as official as it needs to be in short.
    [QUOTE=John M. Coker (Johnny C.);8992400]Slewo's right.

Oh god, I just typed the words "Slewo's right."

TWICE![/QUOTE]

Re: New Comics This Week (12/19/12)

I'm waaaaaay behind on my comics and I'm literally months behind on almost everything, barring a couple of titles.

I got a few books this week though...

Batwoman #15
    Birds Of Prey #15
    Catwoman #15
    He-Man and the Masters of the Universe #5
    Fables #124
    Ami-Comi Girls #15
    Hawkeye #6

Fairly typical DC heavy week for me to be honest. I normally get 6 or 7 books per week. Not as much as the period where I was getting as many as 15 books a week regularly but I'm buying a few books every month.

I found it a bit too much in the period where I got really hooked and I was buying as many as 50 monthly books a month plus trades and OGNS when I was in really poor health with depression and anxiety and couldn't really afford it. I was actually spending more money than I could afford a lot of times because I wanted comic books. I was spending about half of my income on comics at the time. I was finding comics were helping me in terms of having something as an interest and something I could concentrate on but I was beginning to put comics ahead of almost everything except my family.

I have more money now than I did then and I could afford more than I actually get now but I like to just get my favourites and a few others and not feel compelled to buy practically everything I like. Digital comics make buying too many books very easy as you're not handing over a lot of cash but seeing a relatively small amount for each title popping up on the screen.
    Independence... Nah!!!

I dropped Catwoman. The new writer is just so bad....

Hawkeye #6 was another solid issue. Fraction and Aja absolutely slay on this title.
    Captain Marvel #8 was fun and it makes me bummed Monica isn't on any Avengers team right now considering there's like four of them.
    Avengers #2 was good but nothing spectacular. Mostly build-up.
    Indestructible Hulk #2 was actually a pleasant surprise. Mark Waid is usually a solid writer of course.
    Birds of Prey #15 was alright. I'll miss Katana.
    There's really nothing left to say about Saga #8 other than the fact that this is consistently one of the best books out there.

Quote Originally Posted by JBK405 View Post
    The Whistling Skull #1: A very interesting book, I'm actually not familiar with the Whistling Skull, who I'm assuming is a pre-existing character given the JSA header. The art didn't really work for me, which is critical for a first exposure to new concept to really hook the reader, but I am intrigued at the chain of events leading from Switzerland to Japan.
    Brand new character. It was originally supposed to be from Wildstorm, then they shuttered Wildstorm, and the book ended up with mainline DC. B Clay Moore has posted about it here a bunch of times. I believe that they had to showhorn existing DC characters in, so Tony Harris convinced them to use his recreations from the two JSA: The Liberty Files Elseworlds.

I haven't had a chance to get to the store this week, but this is definitely a book I've been looking forward to.

Quote Originally Posted by Thequeerjock View Post
    I dropped Catwoman. The new writer is just so bad....

Hawkeye #6 was another solid issue. Fraction and Aja absolutely slay on this title.
    Captain Marvel #8 was fun and it makes me bummed Monica isn't on any Avengers team right now considering there's like four of them.
    Avengers #2 was good but nothing spectacular. Mostly build-up.
    Indestructible Hulk #2 was actually a pleasant surprise. Mark Waid is usually a solid writer of course.
    Birds of Prey #15 was alright. I'll miss Katana.
    There's really nothing left to say about Saga #8 other than the fact that this is consistently one of the best books out there.
    I keep hoping that Monica is going to be one of the yet-unforseen members of Hickman's Avengers.

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    Brand new character. It was originally supposed to be from Wildstorm, then they shuttered Wildstorm, and the book ended up with mainline DC. B Clay Moore has posted about it here a bunch of times. I believe that they had to showhorn existing DC characters in, so Tony Harris convinced them to use his recreations from the two JSA: The Liberty Files Elseworlds.

I haven't had a chance to get to the store this week, but this is definitely a book I've been looking forward to.
    Actually, we suggested they let us set it in the Liberty Files universe when we moved to DC. It really helped flesh out the world.

I have to say, I think it's Tony's best art in years. He's drawing rather than photo reffing/tracing, and it shows. And McCaig is killing it on the colors.

But I absolutely appreciate anyone taking a look. Hopefully people will stick around for all six issues, and get what we're going for. Tony and I are conference calling tomorrow night to discuss a possible second series...

-BCM
    --------------------------------------------------
    The NEW BCM Blog (opinions and whimsy)
    Twitter!
    --------------------------------------------------

In my Imaginarium. The world between sleep and wakefulness.

Batwoman #15: See all that praise I've been throwing around up above this paragraph? Throw it all together and double it for this issue. I've been asking for more Maggie for week's now and, even though this issue means we need to wait another month for the Kate/Maggie reunion, it is totally worth it as this issue blew me the hell away. Her narration was just so painful yet determined, I felt along with her. This issue showed that she really is a damn good cop when the shit hits the fans, which can easily be forgotten in a comic with capes and gods running around, and helped us understand just a little bit more of what made her who she is today (Although I must admit that the introduction of an abusive childhod, though powerful, doesn't really jive with Maggie's history as I understand it, and might even be an explicit retcon. Part of the conflict of Half a Life when Renee was outed and Maggie tried to offer some comfort was that their backgrounds were too disparate for it to be a similar experience, including an explicit statement that Maggie did not grow up in a Roman Catholic household and wouldn't need to worry about her parents cursing her to hell). We felt disoriented and pained right along with her as her mind drifted and was jerked around by what she was experiencing and as she tries to salvage anything from the situation. Good god damn this hit me hard. I honestly cannot recommend this enough, it is almost perfect.
    It could very well be a retcon or Renee's statment back then could mean that Maggie stopped practicing and Renee just didn't know. Either way, I liked this new history/origin for Maggie. I think it fits with her whole 'lone wolf' + 'tough a nails' persona. I mean, you can see why she (possibly) stopped going to church - and she, in her head, had good reason to stop going. Her whole life it was beatin into her that she would go to hell if she were gay all that crap - it's def. made her who she is...at least a part of who she is.

Although I'm suspecting that she's experiencing a little PTSD. Whether it's about her childhood or about the case, she's experencing...kind of like blackouts (for lack of a better word) while she is on the job. And she kept repeating through the issue about chains, hearing chains, if she is really hearing them or not...I think the sound of rattling chains is tied to her childhood somehow. That's just me being all conspiracy crazy.

I really am soooo glad that they did this issue about Maggie. There isn't much out there on her and I hope it continues. The art was just beautiful. As always. I am so buzzed about the next issue - Jan 23rd feels so far away!!!

"Treat everyone the same until you find out they're an idiot." Lucy Lawless

Right Guy The Beast Of Yucca Flats's Avatar

Happy! #3- I'm still not convinced Nick will survive this, but it looks like he does at least have the chance for a little bit of [snerk] happiness.

Saga #8- Marko's dad may be becoming a favorite after this interaction with his new daughter-in-law. And BKV is still one of the masters at leaving you hanging on a last page.

Empowered: Hell Bent Or Heaven Sent- The humor & worldbuilding concepts are as strong as ever, but I am not sure I'm sold on someone/thing like Emp going seamlessly together with the guy who straight-facedly gave the world X-Men: Phoenix.

Rachel Rising #13- Uh, I think I'm mostly just gonna pretend that I wrote JBK's review. My mind rulz!
    http://twitter.com/#!/CreepingBeast

'"Kirby got a shitty contract too, so get over it' isn't a great tagline."
    -Ed Brubaker

Is Happy worth checking out? I've been meaning to give it a look.