Gailsimone Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Man of Steel trailer

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_Hawkeye
    Superman his scary.

When he goes on his quest for peace, he'll steal all of our nuclear weapons.

Let's never forget our past people
    Read Marvelman.

There is a hilarious scene between Marvelman and the UN, where he has every countries nuclear arsenal simultaneously teleported into the sun.

Also, for those who have read it, I love his little confrontation with Maggie Thatcher.

*raises eyebrow*

"Allow?"

Re: Man of Steel trailer

Shameless Plug Time. I've expanded upon on thoughts about the trailer, and the issue of how folks would react to Superman in the real world:

WHAT IF SUPERMAN WAS REAL?

Okay, I've been pretty skeptical since day one but that trailer sold it for me. I'm surprised by how much I enjoyed that. The film is definitely in my "To see" pile now.

I've got to be honest, that trailer still gave me a very big "depressing" vibe, even with the optimistic narration. Maybe it's the colors (Which are definitely not as bright as I personally believe Superman should be displayed), maybe it's the tone of some of the narration (That woman talking about the schoolbus sounds so accusatory, as if she's about to decry Clark as a wich and demand that he be stoned instead of being grateful that her own son is alive) or maybe it's that we still see Clark lost, isolated and being hated by the government. Whatever it is, it's still giving me the impression that the movie will not have the uplifting and welcoming message that a Superman movie should have.

That doesn't mean it won't be good, and I'm sure they'll get the positive message in there somewhere, but it just doesn't feel like a Superman movie to me.
    Life is like a roller coaster. It has its ups and downs, but if you sit back and relax you get a heck of a ride.

I just don't have any faith in the director. He is all style, no substance.

Right Guy

I'm pretty excited about this. Of all the summer movies coming up, this is the one I'm most interested in/excited about seeing.

As I've said before, I have no problem with the "depressing" vibe. If Superman were real, he would inspire as much terror and fear as he would hope. Governments would fear him and try to find ways to insure against him.Ordinary people would be horrified by what they could not understand or control. Xenophobia would be a major problem. And some people would go to the other extreme, worshipping him as a god.

This film seems very close, in plot and substance (or at least in some of its plot and substance) to JMS's "Superman: Earth One" or his "Supreme Power" (though less dark than SP). I have no problem with this. I really like the idea of a "realistic" Superman that treats human beings as human beings, with all of their flaws and fears.

Trouble Boy

Quote Originally Posted by JBK405 View Post
    I've got to be honest, that trailer still gave me a very big "depressing" vibe, even with the optimistic narration. Maybe it's the colors (Which are definitely not as bright as I personally believe Superman should be displayed), maybe it's the tone of some of the narration (That woman talking about the schoolbus sounds so accusatory, as if she's about to decry Clark as a wich and demand that he be stoned instead of being grateful that her own son is alive) or maybe it's that we still see Clark lost, isolated and being hated by the government. Whatever it is, it's still giving me the impression that the movie will not have the uplifting and welcoming message that a Superman movie should have.

That doesn't mean it won't be good, and I'm sure they'll get the positive message in there somewhere, but it just doesn't feel like a Superman movie to me.
    To be fair, a movie about a man bringing hope to the world isn't going to start out hopeful and in bright primary covers. It's going to start out grey and a little depressing and over the course of the movie transition to optimistic and brightly colored. And no trailer captures the end result of a movie, they're our entry point into a movie.

This is the first real Superman origin movie we've had in decades. It wouldn't make much sense for it to start out 'feeling' like a Superman movie, the whole idea is that its a world that's lost and jaded without ideals to aspire to, and then enter Superman, who gives them such an ideal. And frankly, given the times we live in, I think most people would find it completely unrealistic if the arrival of an unknown power like Superman wasn't initially treated with fear and suspicion.

Just pointing out, a trailer is not a movie. Nor should it be.

All very true, but a trailer is supposed to give you the FEEL of the movie, give a taste of what it will be like, and this tase...it was more broccoli (Good for you, but not to my liking) instead of an apple (Good for you and also very much to my liking).
    Life is like a roller coaster. It has its ups and downs, but if you sit back and relax you get a heck of a ride.

Trouble Boy

Quote Originally Posted by JBK405 View Post
    All very true, but a trailer is supposed to give you the FEEL of the movie, give a taste of what it will be like, and this tase...it was more broccoli (Good for you, but not to my liking) instead of an apple (Good for you and also very much to my liking).
    Not quite true. A trailer is supposed to give you A feel of the movie, not THE. The latter presupposes that the tone remains the same throughout the film. Many films balance multiple tones or transition from darker to lighter or vice versa quite well, without their trailers telegraphing that.