Gailsimone Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Cliffs of Insanity Comic Column!

The Cliffs of Insanity Comic Column!

So, I get behind with various tasks all the time and never seem to get a chance to write up a bunch of comic and geek news that I'd like.

So I thought of Peter King and how his Monday Morning QB started off as a place for bits and pieces that never made it into a story and thought "I could do one like that but for geek stuff."

So I'm setting up some ideas.
    Included will be:
    Cover or Art of the Week
    "Shut Up and Eat Your Grundy!" about news in the geek world that bums me out.
    "Face It Tiger, You Just Hit the Jackpot" for news/stuff I'm excited about.

Maybe even "Never Start a Land War in Asia!" for a part on "don't do this,"

Fangasm of the Week

Maybe even a T.M. Maple Fan Comment of the Week

And a Tweet of the Week but I need a fun name for it. (Suggestions appreciated.)

But I need a name for the whole column! I thought of a few but the only one I half-liked was Superhero Bullpen as a play on Stan's Soapbox. I thought of Excelsior but that's taken and not quite right.

Soo...HELP!! Any ideas, no matter how crazy, are welcome.
    A Jewish seamstress in a steampunked Victorian London hires a consulting detective to solve a magical murder mystery.
    --The Curse of the Brimstone Contract by Corrina Lawson

Re: Need Help With Column Name!

Tweet of the Week: Canary Cries.
    Fangasm of the Week: Shut up, Nerd. (a bit subjective on that one, I'll admit)

I like that.

Now I'm thinking maybe I could call it "The Weekly Planet," as a play on the Daily Planet.
    A Jewish seamstress in a steampunked Victorian London hires a consulting detective to solve a magical murder mystery.
    --The Curse of the Brimstone Contract by Corrina Lawson

Quote Originally Posted by Shurato2099 View Post
    Tweet of the Week: Canary Cries.
    Fangasm of the Week: Shut up, Nerd. (a bit subjective on that one, I'll admit)
    Pretty Bird's Tweet of the Week?

Or Pretty Bird Tweets?

Just running with the BC connection here.
    New blog Hop Scotch Friday - books, films and opinions.

First thing that popped into my head was

Imagine Nation.
    Life's an elevator. It goes up and down.

How about the Geekly Reader, as sort of a play off the elementary school mainstay, the Weekly Reader?

Geekcetera

Howabout "X-Ray Vision"?

Cosplay? The New Larper. (With the New Yorker Mascot in a Captain America costume)

If you ever veer into RPGs? The Cleave Land Plane-Dealer.

When it comes to something like this, I think you need to write it out, then put it away and look at it a little bit later. A few hours or even days later.

Ideally, on some level you won't feel as attached to your own potential cleverness. I do this and sometimes outright groan at what I thought sounded neat or witty earlier in the day.

Heck, just thinking of potential help here, I thought of a short list, had this post open in the background while I did other stuff and came back. And hated all of my ideas by that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Corrina View Post
    So I thought of Peter King and how his Monday Morning QB started off as a place for bits and pieces that never made it into a story and thought "I could do one like that but for geek stuff."
    Okay, it DID occur to me that ideally you want the name to reflect your purpose.

If I'm understanding it correctly, you want little nuggets batched together which otherwise wouldn't merit their own column.

So the name, even while it references something geeky ALSO ideally should reflect that--the "bits and pieces" aspect. There are a hundred different terms for that, and at least one of them probably fits into the framework of also referencing some geeky/nerd culture saying, pun, etc.

EDIT - so far, in my opinion, Zemo's "Geekcetera" is the only one I see which does this. The "cetera" clearly equates to "etc" and communicates its specifically about scraps of information.