Gailsimone Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Comics This Wek (11/14/12)

New Comics This Wek (11/14/12)

I had a meeting across the state this morning, so I didn't need to go into the office and was able to make it to my shop nice and early. A small batch, only four issues, they were all from some of my absolute favorite series.

Courtney Crumrin #7: At the New York Comic-Con I was able to grab the original CC series, and I finally found time to read it during the storm a few weks ago, so I'm looking at Courtney from a whole different perspective now. I'm curious as to where this direct plot is going, but the background and character seems so much more vibrant now, and it was already pretty vibrant before.

Demon Knights #14: Okay, if I'm reading this properly, Shining Knight is explaining that he is intersex. Interesting. I'd previously thought that he was pre-operation (Since it's the past and operations don't exist yet) Female-To-Male transgender, but now he's saying that he's both. I wonder how Exoristos will take this? She was certainly shocked, but shock isn't necessarily rejection, and she was interrupted before we got anything more. This comic really does seem to be trying to single-handedly compensate for the lack of trans and intersex characters in the rest of the comic world, and I'm loving it. Plus, we're ending at a three-way war between the Questing Queen, the Silent Knight's of Avalon, and the Hordes of Hell. I really don't see how you can one-up that.

Batgirl #14: Hmmmm, bit of a conundrum here. I've disliked the direction they've gone with the Joker ever since his reintroduction in the DCnU (I signed up for the first arc of Detective Comics and once we saw the skin off his face I said "Nope, I'm done") and that extends to that gruesome visage we have here, but the issue itself was superb. Tight drama, concise storytelling, with dread and horror and swick, twisted desperation all squashed together. I've still got a bit of beef with the art, like I did last issue, since Barbara walking around in just a shirt and underwear was unnecessary (And we even got a few panty shots in there), but I will say this: When the Joker was on-panel I felt disgusted. So, I suppose I'll say that Gail was given poor ingredients for the story, but she whipped up a masteriece regardless.

Saga #7: Yay, it's finally back! This series picked right up with the same hilarious, heartwarmingly depressed love story we had last time. Bar and Alana standing there staring at each other, with no @#$%ing clue what's going on and with the usual trepidation of meeting your in-laws for the first time was beautifully awkward (And Alana standing there in a towel was perfect). That giant, naked hideously disgusting thing was absolutely hideously disgusting. Seriously, this book is fantastic.

My shop is apparently also having a party tonight for the new X-Men series and I'm conflicted about going. I've been to a few of the parties they've had before and, though they're certainly not bad, they're not really parties. It's like any other time at the comic shop. You browse the walls, make small-talk with the other patrons and then buy your books and leave. That was fine before, but then I was actually interested in the books that the party was for and so could buy them while I was there. I have no interest in the new X series (I didn't know there was a new X series) so I'm not sure if it's worth going there to circle the shelves once, nod to the people I walk past and then head home (Since I already bought this week's books today).

What did everybody else buy today?
    Life is like a roller coaster. It has its ups and downs, but if you sit back and relax you get a heck of a ride.

Right Guy
    This has got to be one of the best week of books I've had in a long time
    Thor 1
    Batman 14
    Walking dead 104
    Locke and key 1 final vol of series
    Saga 7

Re: New Comics This Wek (11/14/12)

I'm just hoping Jim Gordon comes out of Death & the Family alive.

I've lost Oracle, my Dinah, my Helena, and Lois is sidelined with the new 52. Don't want to lose Jim too. ::whimpers:: Go kill Alfred! He's British!
    A Jewish seamstress in a steampunked Victorian London hires a consulting detective to solve a magical murder mystery.
    --The Curse of the Brimstone Contract by Corrina Lawson

~*~ DISNEY PRINCESS ~*~ Slewo.O's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Corrina
    I'm just hoping Jim Gordon comes out of Death & the Family alive.

I've lost Oracle, my Dinah, my Helena, and Lois is sidelined with the new 52. Don't want to lose Jim too. ::whimpers:: Go kill Alfred! He's British!
    Don't worry Jim and Alfred both get to die. Everyone wins.
    [QUOTE=John M. Coker (Johnny C.);8992400]Slewo's right.

Oh god, I just typed the words "Slewo's right."

TWICE![/QUOTE]

You're a big meanie-head Slew!! Meanie-head!!!
    A Jewish seamstress in a steampunked Victorian London hires a consulting detective to solve a magical murder mystery.
    --The Curse of the Brimstone Contract by Corrina Lawson

Avengers Assemble from Kelly Sue and Caselli was wonderful. Good dialogue, facial expressions and funny.

Could not make it to the shop today but ASAP I will be picking up:

SAGA #7:

All-New X-Men #1:

Avengers Assemble #9 was the surprise gem of the week for me. As someone who has found Captain Marvel a little meh the past few issues, I thought Deconnick brought a wonderful JLI vibe to the book. She nailed the feel of the Avengers movie perfectly with the character interactions.

~*~ DISNEY PRINCESS ~*~ Slewo.O's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thequeerjock View Post
    Avengers Assemble #9 was the surprise gem of the week for me. As someone who has found Captain Marvel a little meh the past few issues, I thought Deconnick brought a wonderful JLI vibe to the book. She nailed the feel of the Avengers movie perfectly with the character interactions.
    Completely agreed. It took the best components of the Avengers movie without copying it. And I agree, this book has a fun energy to it, laughed out loud at a lot of the scenes too. Deconnick has a great sense of humor, which really helped separate this from the crowd. Anyway, here's what I got.

Avengers Assemble #9
    Wolverine and the X-Men #20
    Batman and Robin #14
    Batman #14
    Defenders #12
    Fantastic Four #1
    Amazing Spider-Man #697
    Thor: God of Thunder #1
    [QUOTE=John M. Coker (Johnny C.);8992400]Slewo's right.

Oh god, I just typed the words "Slewo's right."

TWICE![/QUOTE]

What is the difference between Avengers Assemble and The Avengers? Is there a different line-up, a different mission statement, a different focus? Or is it just, like, "What if The Avengers wasn't written by Bendis?"