Tweets are Loading...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Origins of user names?

Re: Origins of user names?

Quote Originally Posted by Lester C. View Post
    Why so sad?

das

I was reading the Dragonlance novels back in the 90s when I first got slow dial-up access. I loved Raistlin, and decided that with a lyne was a more feminine version of the name. I just never really stopped using it. Since it's not prone to much duplication I've never been confused for another poster of the same name, so apparently this is what I'm keeping. I sometimes use my real name too, particularly on writing forums.
    Zenescope's Wonderland 28 in Previews NOW

Quote Originally Posted by dasNdanger View Post
    Why so sad?

das
    If your name was Lester you'd cry too. As a kid everytime someone started singing Lester The Child Molester they thought they were so cleaver and the first one to come up with it, even the teachers.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
    The dyes in your Hypercolor shirt were affecting your mind.
    I think someone dosed me in the mud pit at Woodstock 99

Completely uncreative -- my full name is Joseph Kevin Carrier. I've always gone by Kevin, but sometime in high school I started signing my name J. Kevin Carrier or J.K.C. because I thought it sounded cooler.
    - JKC -
    Glorianna: Barbarian adventure every Friday!
    Lady Spectra & Sparky: Superhero action every Monday!

1) My last name is Funke
    2) Bootsy Collins of Parliament Funkadelic was called The Funkateer.
    3) The glasses in my avatar are Bootsy's.

Gunsel

I love David Bowie's music.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester C. View Post
    If your name was Lester you'd cry too. As a kid everytime someone started singing Lester The Child Molester they thought they were so cleaver and the first one to come up with it, even the teachers.
    Yeah, okay...that sucks. Personally, I like the name Lester...reminds me of Mark Lester from Oliver!:

So I will always think of you as an adorable, tousled-headed street urchin.

das

Right Guy The Beast Of Yucca Flats's Avatar

"Flag on the moon. How did it get there?," "Noted scientist," blah blah blah...
    http://twitter.com/#!/CreepingBeast

'"Kirby got a shitty contract too, so get over it' isn't a great tagline."
    -Ed Brubaker

I've told it before, but what the hell.

When I was born my last name was Hughes, a boring and far too common name; when the English took over Ireland, they anglicised a lot of celtic names; anyone whose name sounded at all like a common English name found theirs changed. As a result, in Galway, form whence my grandfather emerged, there were about 30-odd families all named Hughes who were completely unrelated to one another; the name is originally Welsh and has something to do with a god of fire.

Of more pressing concern to me was that my father was a violent drunk that I wanted nothing to do with, and my older brother routinely told me to never let anyone at school know we were related-- I was a shame and embarrassment to him because of my dorky ways. One of my younger brothers had been a child actor on TV (look up "Make Room for Granddady" if you're interested), and I was a drama major in college and had aspirations to be an actor, and there were several pages of Hugheses in the phone book already, including more than a few with my first name.

All of this came to a head when I got engaged. I realized that I didn't want to make my bride marry into the messed-up Hughes family, and I didn't want my future kids to have to live with the Hughes legacy. It was time for a dad-ectomy.

My mother's maiden name was MacQuarrie, and my grandfather was an amazing mad genius tinkerer and one of the few people in my family who "got" me. MacQuarie means "Son of the Proud One" and can also be translated as something like "son of the king." My first name, James, is derived from Jacob, and means "one who takes the place of another" (a reference to how Jacob tricked his brother out of his birthright). My middle name is Patrick, which means Patriarch, meaning father, and metaphorically, king. I realized that changing my name meant making a statement about my destiny; I would not live in the shadow of my father or one of my brothers; I would be the one who seized his birthright as king and son of the king. As a Christian, "son of the King" had some powerful spiritual implications. Plus there were only three people named MacQuarrie in the phone book, and Jim MacQuarrie is a pretty good-sounding name for an actor (as it turned out, it's also not bad for an artist or writer).

So I filled out the paperwork and paid the $165 in fees, and in September of 1985, I went to the LA courthouse and heard a judge declare that henceforth, I would legally be known as James Patrick MacQuarrie.

In one month, I will have been a MacQuarrie longer than I was a Hughes.

Having paid good money for the name, I was by God going to use it. When I got online in 1992 (local Wildcat BBS chat boards), I decided that posting under my real name was a way to keep myself honest. From that day to this, my email address and forum user names have almost always been variations on my real name (I tried out a couple of pseudonyms, but they never stuck).