KellySue Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Thread: The official 'What Comics Do You Recommend This Week?' thread

The official 'What Comics Do You Recommend This Week?' thread

I was going to call it: 'What Comics Did You Buy This Week?' But then we'll just post lists and that's no fun. Well, okay... it's fun, but... I want Actual Recommendations!

Tell us about a comic (or a few comics) that you particularly think we should check out this week - and why.

Cheers,
    Kaz

Re: The official 'What Comics Do You Recommend This Week?' thread

I've had to cut my pull list by half (due to spending too much money), but I did just download IT GIRL & THE ATOMICS from ComiXology... and I think it's got potential to be lotsa fun. I've been looking for more 'fun' in my comics, lately, and Image have been putting out so much good stuff that I had to give it a try. Also: Snap City, ftw!

IT GIRL is a Madman spin-off, with a beautiful Mike & Laura Allred cover:

This was a pretty lite week for me but picking a winner is easy. The Might Thor 18 he pretty much perfect dialog, my favorite zinger being the homage to Looney Tunes, "You know...this means war!" YES! I am sad to see Matt leaving the character but FF! Enough of that, read the book, it's a Prologue the a crossover with Journey Into Mystery to end both titles.

Fatale #7
    Aside from being produced by the Brubaker / Phillips super-duo, this is classic crime noir with a little more pulp and supernatural grit if one was to compare it to their work on Criminal.
    Definitely for fans of hard crime and the Hellboy/BPRD/Lobster Johnson stories.

The Walking Dead #101 (the completely dope Jim Rugg variant!)
    As if this series needs any pimping since issue 100 sold near on 3 billion copies and came with a home vajazzling kit.
    That being said... the events of #100 certainly have me wondering what the hell is going to happen next.

Also... check out Mr. Rugg's blog, where he goes though the process of creating this cover.
    http://jimrugg.tumblr.com/post/29478...er-by-jim-rugg
    -John-Paul McCarthy
    sketch & design blog
    twitter

Grifter

Ditto on FATALE#7. HP Lovecraft meets Damon Runyan meets Clive Barker meets Brubaker. In addition to the supernatural grit is a lot of wet goo and fangs.

Forgive me for enjoying NITE OWL by Stracynski, Kubert and Kurbert because it seems that to openly admitting to liking the BW series is tantamount to peeing in the baptismal font. But I am enjoying it and read it in front of people. Okay, so I just peek at the nekkid ladies quickly, but I think it's a good book.

I picked up Vertigo's MYSTERY IN SPACE (One Shot) because I thought Steven Sanders did the cover. He didn't but it's a compelling cover. The anthology is a fine mix but I truly liked "Asleep to see you" by Ming Doyle. It harkened to a Twilight Zone TV show epi that I remember fondly, but this one updates it a bit. I freely admit to liking love stories.

"The Elgort" is penned by Nnedi Okorafor (not familiar with this writer) and drawn by MW Kaluta. The Kaluta art is as stunning as one might expect. There's another love story, "Breeching" that's worth noting.

It's pricey at 8 bucks, but it's 80 pages and worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry.Tyson View Post

I picked up Vertigo's MYSTERY IN SPACE (One Shot) because I thought Steven Sanders did the cover. He didn't but it's a compelling cover. The anthology is a fine mix but I truly liked "Asleep to see you" by Ming Doyle. It harkened to a Twilight Zone TV show epi that I remember fondly, but this one updates it a bit. I freely admit to liking love stories.

"The Elgort" is penned by Nnedi Okorafor (not familiar with this writer) and drawn by MW Kaluta. The Kaluta art is as stunning as one might expect. There's another love story, "Breeching" that's worth noting.

It's pricey at 8 bucks, but it's 80 pages and worth it.

Just passing through, so a quick note to say that Nnedi is a wonderful writer! She's a novelist by trade. I highly recommend WHO FEARS DEATH (which won a World Fantasy Award last year).

Kaz

My winner this week is Rorschach, yeah, I know, like Terry, forgive me. But I would read the heck out of this book regardless of the BW tag. It is a great looking book, the writing was spot on, in Azz we trust. And Bermajo art is spot on. I've picked up a couple BW books and have not been too impressed but I am not going to ignore a book by one of my favorite teams just because of a label.