Short review: I loved it.

What about you?

Kaz

Re: Hawkeye #1

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Mahoney View Post
    Short review: I loved it.

What about you?

Kaz
    I thought it was fantastic. I honestly didn't know what to expect, but that was seriously a lot of fun. Hawkeye is one of those characters that i've always liked, but he just didn't always click for me. It seemed like a lot of writers would flip flop between the "he's a hot head that hates authority" or "he's a seasoned veteran Avenger whos an equal of Captain America" so I never knew which version I'd get. This. This right here. I loved. Every character voice was perfect. It's all I heard people talking about in my comic shop yesterday, it was great. Can't wait for #2.

Quote Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
    I thought it was fantastic. I honestly didn't know what to expect, but that was seriously a lot of fun. Hawkeye is one of those characters that i've always liked, but he just didn't always click for me. It seemed like a lot of writers would flip flop between the "he's a hot head that hates authority" or "he's a seasoned veteran Avenger whos an equal of Captain America" so I never knew which version I'd get. This. This right here. I loved. Every character voice was perfect. It's all I heard people talking about in my comic shop yesterday, it was great. Can't wait for #2.
    That's such a great way of putting it - those two versions of Clint Barton. Yes, exactly that! I grew up reading West Coast Avengers, so I've always had a soft spot for Hawkeye, but... lately, he just hasn't worked for me.

Now we have a new-but-still-true version of Clint to embrace. I am pleased.

Kaz

My first impression was a memory of O'Neil and Adams' Green Lantern/Green Arrow stories from the 70's (which is one of my favorite stories). I loved it, this is why I read comics, right here. Every bit of this book is great, writing, art, everything.

The Effing President TheTravis!'s Avatar

Picking my copy up this weekend. But it's one of my favorite writers writing one of my favorite characters. I have no doubt that it will make me happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by BENDIS! View Post
    the travis is a sweety.

Short response: Yep. Brilliant.

N

Grifter

Comics readers appear to select Supe titles based on three criteria; Character, Writer, Artist or combinations thereof. Seems I follow writers more than characters or even artists. Hawkeye is one such title. Like many, I knew who he was, but thought his costume annoying, as if he was a purple Wolverine, but always saw him as just another color to fill the page during action sequences. Green Arrow was my favorite uber-archer and even then, only read him sporadically. I mean, maybe paid attention to him, like, once.

Picked up Hawkeye #1 because Fraction was penning and Aja was pencilling. These two know how to work together, seem to "get" each other. If those two weren't married, they should date. The book hits all of the right marks and gets two arrows up from me. Really, really liked it.

Sorry Oliver, but there's a new bow in my life and he wears purple. Sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry.Tyson View Post
    Sorry Oliver, but there's a new bow in my life and he wears purple. Sometimes.
    There's room for both, in my book. (Though I haven't purchase GA is a couple years.)

I enjoyed it as well.
    The lack of supe-related action, the street level locale and dialogue had me comparing it to Winter Men.
    This is a good thing.
    -John-Paul McCarthy
    sketch & design blog
    twitter

Grifter

Suddenly remembered another Fraction penned book that featured some opening scenes of a dude shooting weapons as they flew backwards out of a window. Shooting while descending to Earth is a good way to go.