KellySue Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Digital Comics

Digital Comics

So, this is kind of a general thread, but now that I finally have an iPad (LOVE!) I'm experimenting with reading comics through ComiXology. It's interesting how some comics read better than others in the format, and I'm gradually making decisions about which titles I'll be keeping on my LCS pull list, and which ones I might switch to digital.

I have to say, I am very taken with the Guided View tech. One or two issues haven't 'worked' for me in it (eg. Batwoman's art is probably better seen on the full page), but I'm genuinely surprised how much I adore the panel-by-panel 'movie' experience.

I recommend downloading Kelly Sue's Supergirl 3-parter because it is SO MUCH FUN in Guided View! while you're at it, Sif works well too. Also, Terry Moore's brilliant Rachel Rising is beautiful when viewed slowly, panel by panel. I feel like digital comics are enhancing my reading experience - I know that's not the case for everyone, and I'd be interested to hear other people's opinions and recommendations.

Cheers,
    Kaz

Re: Digital Comics

P.S. *sigh* Sorry for the link that appears in my post (if you can see it). I tried to edit it out, but obviously if you talk about CERTAIN PRODUCTS a link is automatically included and I can't do anything about it.

Kaz

Grifter

Perhaps we should spell it "iP@d" from now on? Or "@pple tablet device thingie".

Quote Originally Posted by Terry.Tyson View Post
    Perhaps we should spell it "iP@d" from now on? Or "@pple tablet device thingie".
    Heh. Yeah, I am totally taking that suggestion seriously. We could get really tricky and go with !P@d

Kaz

I'm a big fan of Comixology and I buy a good amount of digital product, though most of what I buy is still in print form. I get a lot of sale stuff and 1.99 indie books that I miss at the store.

That said I can't stand guided view. I prefer to zoom in and scroll around the page. To each his or her own, obviously, but as an artist I don't like the fact that big chunks of panels often get cut off of the screen. I pay to see all the art. It's like watching a full screen movie instead of widescreen. I don't have an iPad though. Maybe the framings a little better there? I read stuff either on my laptop or on my phone if I'm travelling. Granted, phone reading sucks so I try to avoid it.
    I color comics sometimes: MichaelCGarland.com

Quote Originally Posted by killingyouguy View Post
    I'm a big fan of Comixology and I buy a good amount of digital product, though most of what I buy is still in print form. I get a lot of sale stuff and 1.99 indie books that I miss at the store.

That said I can't stand guided view. I prefer to zoom in and scroll around the page. To each his or her own, obviously, but as an artist I don't like the fact that big chunks of panels often get cut off of the screen. I pay to see all the art. It's like watching a full screen movie instead of widescreen. I don't have an iPad though. Maybe the framings a little better there? I read stuff either on my laptop or on my phone if I'm travelling. Granted, phone reading sucks so I try to avoid it.
    I've never tried reading comics on a phone. Maybe one day.

I can see what you mean about the art/guided view. I totally admit that it doesn't work for me all the time. I downloaded a couple of my old favourite Wonder Woman issues, art by Gene Colan (*moment of silence*) and they do NOT work. I think guided view only really looks great (to me) with newer comics, maybe because creators have digital in mind these days? I wonder if they do...

Kaz

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Mahoney View Post
    I've never tried reading comics on a phone. Maybe one day.
    I thought I'd hate reading comics on my phone but it's not that bad.
    "Sh - no - brick"

Right Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Schnobrich

I thought I'd hate reading comics on my phone but it's not that bad.
    Same hear. About a year ago I started reading on my phone and was surprised how much I enjoyed it. I now use a tablet and purchase all my new books on it and really enjoy it.

So I noticed today that all of the marvel books from this week and last week offered free digital downloads. So I tried an experiment and am hooked. My wife has an ithing so I redeemed my codes and read my books over there. I love the detail on the panels when I see them larger. I would like to see an integration of the AR app since I usually use the ithing for that. Beggars cannot be choosers though.

I haven't tried that thing yet, where Marvel offer a free digital download when you buy the physical comic. Are there any catches or is it straightforward to get the digital issue?

Kaz