I finally read Jinx! (there may be Jinx spoilers in here)
I'd been meaning to read it for years. I finally got around to it. I will put my thoughts in exciting bullet points.
- The smallish hardcover size is great for this material. It was small enough to carry around with me and read on the bus. Perfect!
- I did not expect Goldfish to be such a significant part of the book. I read Goldfish years ago, and figured he'd just be a supporting character in Jinx. Thought Jinx would be more like Alias, 100% from Jinx's POV. It was nice to have the perspective changes here and there.
- Bendis' art is so nice! I really wish he would do a new book like this, doing all of the writing and art.
- I recognized Columbia as Bendis instantly. It took me out of the book a little bit, but he did a good job posing.
- The book really feels from a specific place and (especially) time. I don't mean it feels dated. I just mean that the tone and references let you know right about when everything is taking place. Even the language feels of the era. I've never read something by Bendis at such a temporal remove before, but doing so sheds fresh light on his attention to detail in dialogue.
- I was a little distracted by young Jinx not having the trademark black, curly hair.
- Overall I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Hard to compare it since I read the other books so long ago, but I'd probably place it below Torso and above Goldfish. Still have not read Fire.
I say pimp.
Re: I finally read Jinx! (there may be Jinx spoilers in here)
Well it's about time! Love this book.