Gailsimone Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Schawarma

Quote Originally Posted by Keith P.
    I actually made a thread on the bendis board a few months ago regarding my frustration with being unable to make authentic gyros in my kitchen since the meat is really hard to get right.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...-a-doner-kebab
    This is a newspaper website article explaining how to make Turkish style Doner Kebabs. Hope this helps.

Edit - just noticed this uses a mincer, a thermometer and a blowtorch. It isn't impossible to do this but not exactly standard.

I just checked and a cooking blowtorch isn't very expensive. In UK money, I noticed they're available for less than £10 - around $15. I thought they would cost £100 or something. You might not have to use a proper mincer either as a food processor or mixer might have an attachment that will do it for you. My food processor has all sorts of blades and stuff that could be used for mincing.
    Last edited by Weeto; 05-10-2012 at 04:30 PM.
    Independence... Nah!!!

Re: Schawarma

Quote Originally Posted by Shurato2099
    The meat recipe looks good, but tzatziki without dill is an abomination.

Agreed. I always add a little to that recipe.

Went out to the middle-eastern place three blocks from the office. Now I'm back at my desk with a large beef shawarma and a cup of spiced coffee (my own blend -- Café du Monde French Roast with chicory, plus a dash of cardamon, cinnamon, and nutmeg).

Mmmm -- ! They're beginning to make facing all the crap that I need to get done by the end of the day a LOT more tolerable.