Gailsimone Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Comics This Week (5/9/12)

Hybrid View

New Comics This Week (5/9/12)

A relatively small week for me, at least one series (Morning Glories) was sold out, and I'm not sure what else was gone before I got there and I don't even know I missed.

Mind the Gap #1: I had no idea what this was, but the first few pages intrigued me. I had no idea until I was 1/3 of the way through that it was a Whodunnit, but they were actually pretty helpful on that account (After the actual story ended there was two pages pointing out some important things to notice in the first few pages that would be critical as the series progresses). I'm loving the inclusion of music (Everything from Blind Melon to Pink Floyd) and half the cast are women. I'll need more than one issue to know if the series is actually gonna be good, but I'm at least intrigued.

Incorruptible #29: Okay, I don't know what the hell's going on with me and this series because I seem to be constantly missing issues (And its sister-series Irredeemable). Is there an irregular schedule or something? Why does everything seem to keep jumping around? This issue was certainly interesting, Max and Alana pounding on each other was enlightening and I saw her holding onto her sanity with both hands as she tried to deal with the situation, but I've got no clue how we got here. When did she get powers? When did this fight start? What the @#$% is going on?

Demon Knights #9: Not quite as AWESOME!!!!! as past issues, but it needed to be slower. It's the introduction of a new arc, so it needs to take time establishing what's going on. I'm very intrigued by the two princesses; it's nice to see confirmed, non-metaphorical, non-subtextual, non-tangential gay characters, as well as an acknowledgement of how they can be so open when women aren't exactly running the world in the middle ages (Namely, they've got the power, and when you've got the power you get to say "You don't like how I live? Deal with it!"). I am, however, put-out by Al Jabr's sudden ability to channel Virgil Hawkins; since when does he have electrical powers? Still, I suppose it was worth it to actually hear him say "You are no Plato!" (I'm going to be honest here, that's not a line I expected to read today). I'm greatly looking forward to this arc, since I think it'll give the characters a chance to talk to each other and delve a bit deeper (Not that there hasn't been a lot of delving already, I just think it will be a different sort of delving). Plus, who doesn't love a Sea Serpent?

The Punisher #11: I've said it before and I'll say it again: Rucka is managing to make The Punisher work so well that he can carry an issue even when the Punisher doesn't even appear (Except in flashback). That's not easy, but he's doing it. I loved this issue. We finally got Detective Bolt coming clean and it doesn't matter. Damn.

Batgirl #9: You know, issues like this make me really want to read the entire Night of Owls event. Last weeks Batwing was good, but this was just stellar, because there was an emotion here that was missing. James and Barabara were just...wow. I'm going to make a thread for this issue because I want to go over it in some real detail.

What did everybody else get?
    Life is like a roller coaster. It has its ups and downs, but if you sit back and relax you get a heck of a ride.

I got Batgirl #9, Suicide Squad #9 and I got Earth 2 #1 from last week.

I read Batgirl but I haven't got round to the others yet. I didn't realise that Batgirl was going to be part of a crossover. I can't say that. I want to buy the Batman books just to be able to follow Batgirl.
    Independence... Nah!!!

~*~ DISNEY PRINCESS ~*~ Slewo.O's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Weeto
    I got Batgirl #9, Suicide Squad #9 and I got Earth 2 #1 from last week.

I read Batgirl but I haven't got round to the others yet. I didn't realise that Batgirl was going to be part of a crossover. I can't say that. I want to buy the Batman books just to be able to follow Batgirl.
    You don't need to read any other books, it's a one-off. If you wanna follow the Court of Owls though, that's another game entirely.
    [QUOTE=John M. Coker (Johnny C.);8992400]Slewo's right.

Oh god, I just typed the words "Slewo's right."

TWICE![/QUOTE]

Re: New Comics This Week (5/9/12)

Mystery In Space,
    Demon Knights #9,
    Courtney Crumrin #2
    High Earth #1 (admittedly just for the sweet cover by Frazer Irving - he's awesome)
    New blog Hop Scotch Friday - books, films and opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias M View Post
    Mystery In Space,
    Demon Knights #9,
    Courtney Crumrin #2
    High Earth #1 (admittedly just for the sweet cover by Frazer Irving - he's awesome)
    And my reviews are up on The Momus Report.
    New blog Hop Scotch Friday - books, films and opinions.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 9 #9
    Batgirl #9
    Fairest #3
    Fatale #5
    Morning Glories #18
    "Fascism should rightly be called Corporatism, as it is the merger of corporate and government power." --Benito Mussolini

"I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and to bid defiance to the laws of our country." --Thomas Jefferson

I always try to make my crossover issues a complete story. There's a BIGGER story if you read Batman, but I always want the reader to get a whole experience.

Gail, I have to ask, what made you include fire balloons in this issue? It's such an esoteric weapon and most people never even heard of their use during WWII, why'd you include them in your story?
    Life is like a roller coaster. It has its ups and downs, but if you sit back and relax you get a heck of a ride.

Quote Originally Posted by JBK405 View Post
    Gail, I have to ask, what made you include fire balloons in this issue? It's such an esoteric weapon and most people never even heard of their use during WWII, why'd you include them in your story?
    For the symbolism, which I leave to the reader to interpret for themselves.

Morning Glories #18: Solid issue though not much story progress is made if you ask me. Interesting to see that one of the Glories is gay, would not have bet on who it was though.
    Wolverine and the X-Men #10: Only AVX tie in I'm getting and thank god it's not feeling too interuptive. Nice to see some progress with Angel.
    Mind the Gap #1: Pretty art, and that's about it.