Gailsimone Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Thread: Gay Marriage in Demon Knights? (SPOILERS for issue 9)

Gay Marriage in Demon Knights? (SPOILERS for issue 9)

For those of you who haven't read this week's issue (#9) yet and don't want to be spoiled, turn back now. But I thought people who aren't picking up the book might be interested in this plot point.

It turns out that the city of Alba Sarum, that the Knights prevented the Horde from reaching in the first arc, is ruled by two princesses: Alba and Sarum. They're sweethearts, who've issued a decree that they will only wed once their city is named New Camelot, which seems to be more of a designation than a specific place...but with the murder of Merlin last issue, looks less and less likely to come to pass. So now they've charged the Knights with a quest that could restore the city's glory and make it possible for it earn the New Camelot designation... thus making it possible for these women to marry each other. (If the city is never named New Camelot, the women are determined to abide by their oath.)

So in a strange turn of events, the Knights seem to be fighting for gay marriage -- albeit a specific marriage, rather than in general. (Madame X does say, however, "Power allows anything. I hope common girls get the same.")

Re: Gay Marriage in Demon Knights? (SPOILERS for issue 9)

I found the two princesses to be extremely interesting, and it was quite refreshing to have gay characters that aren't composed of subtex, metaphor or a single comment tossed out twenty issues later.

I find it heatrbreaking that they will never wed (Because I doubt the city will ever actually become New Camelot. This series isn't getting that, no way), but I'm hoping the'll find a loophole.
    Life is like a roller coaster. It has its ups and downs, but if you sit back and relax you get a heck of a ride.

Quote Originally Posted by JBK405 View Post
    I found the two princesses to be extremely interesting, and it was quite refreshing to have gay characters that aren't composed of subtex, metaphor or a single comment tossed out twenty issues later.

I find it heatrbreaking that they will never wed (Because I doubt the city will ever actually become New Camelot. This series isn't getting that, no way), but I'm hoping the'll find a loophole.
    Oh, I'm sure the two will wed and the city will become New Camelot, but it should be noted that the warriors in Demon Knights all come from Camelots of different ages. I suspect that even the name Camelot is destined to die, so while their city will eventually gain its name, it will find itself destroyed very quickly afterwards.

I doubt we'll go that way. Every Camelot falls, and Camelot will rise and fall again, but while it lives Camelot is as close to a paradise and perfect society as we can get (At least from the perspective of the time). While it exists there's peace and justice and such things, and I simply don't see that happening in this series. The "feel" I've got is that the series is going to be full of rampaging barbarians until it closes; if we ever do reach a point where it can be said that they've "won" it'll mean we're close to the end.

Then again, I could be completely wrong (I haven't quite perfected my precognitive abilities......yet).
    Life is like a roller coaster. It has its ups and downs, but if you sit back and relax you get a heck of a ride.