KellySue Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The GIRLS thread

The GIRLS thread

Because there has to be one. I'm interested to see what everyone thinks of this show. I think I am in the minority here in that I am enjoying it. I feel like Lena Dunham has a very interesting voice as a writer ,and a knack for hilarious dialogue. At the same time, I'm sort of bothered by how whitewashed it's portrayal of New York is . But this is hardly an offense exclusive to GIRLS , the same could be said for the version of New York we encounter in Woody Allen's films.

Everyone who talks about this show tends to get like super into it and just crosses the Rubicon into full rage, or love of it. Let's clinically dissect it. What do the brilliant citizens of this here Kelly Sue forum have to say ?
    Check out/follow my twitter https://twitter.com/CurtPires

Re: The GIRLS thread

Oooh... interesting thread! I haven't seen it yet - we don't have it over here but *ahem* I'm sure I'll figure out a way to see it. I actually AM interested because a couple of friends of mine are enjoying it, and they're normally pretty tough to please with tv stuff.

The whitewashed NY would probably annoy me too; as one half (the white half!) of an interracial couple I'm a bit sensitive on those issues. But I'll see what I think when I get around to watching.

Cheers,
    Kaz

I am really liking the show.
    I think Lena Dunham is a very brave, very perceptive, and very honest writer and director.

Quote Originally Posted by jenifu View Post
    I am really liking the show.
    I think Lena Dunham is a very brave, very perceptive, and very honest writer and director.
    That sounds a good recommendation to me. Makes me want to see it more!

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Mahoney View Post
    That sounds a good recommendation to me. Makes me want to see it more!
    It's got me curious about Tiny Furniture now.
    I shall be checking it out on Netflix.

There has been so much commentary on the fact that she is very much writing from/on only her direct life experience, but...I've never quite seen why that particular criticism, when levelled at an artist, indicates a creative failure.

In this instance, she has taken life events that many dismiss as mundane and generated from them something sharp, painful, and beautiful.
    If you like it, watch it and marvel and be moved!
    If not, run away!

Silly people.

You have to tell me what you think!

Quote Originally Posted by jenifu View Post
    Silly people.

You have to tell me what you think!
    I don't think those people are being silly.

It seems to me that a lot of people were hoping that Lena Dunham would be the voice of their generation (if we even have generations anymore post-internet), and were bummed out when her work didn't speak for them.

That reaction isn't fair to her because it puts her in a Cobain-esque position, and it's an emotional reaction - not a critical one - but it's still important, because it says something about what people feel they need right now.

The idea that an audience shouldn't influence your art is a valid one, but at this point I'm not sure if that exists anymore post-social media... or if we can apply the same vacuum concept to Girls, Friends, SITC, etc. that we would to a poem.

I'd be interested to hear Kaz & KSD's thought on whether they feel any obligation to speak for their generation - or their gender - in their work.

-Tom
    Last edited by tomgastall; 05-12-2012 at 10:07 AM. Reason: typos galore
    Tom Gastall
    tomgastall.com - creative services
    toppohaus.com - art & webcomics

Tom Gastall

Quote Originally Posted by tomgastall View Post

I'd be interested to hear Kaz & KSD's thought on whether they feel any obligation to speak for their generation - or their gender - in their work.

-Tom
    That's such an interesting question, Tom. Hmm... I have to think about it, but my initial reaction is to say "no" - I don't feel an *obligation* to speak for my generation or gender. However, I do find myself *wanting* to speak for young women and girls. It's probably why I write for teenagers! It's so important - imo - to show girls that they can be strong and empowered, so that's something I specifically try to address. I'm not sure it's an obligation, though. If that makes sense. I also find myself wanting to speak for geeks/nerds, because they are my tribe. Which is why there will always be geeky characters in my fiction.

Kaz

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Mahoney View Post
    That's such an interesting question, Tom. Hmm... I have to think about it, but my initial reaction is to say "no" - I don't feel an *obligation* to speak for my generation or gender. However, I do find myself *wanting* to speak for young women and girls. It's probably why I write for teenagers! It's so important - imo - to show girls that they can be strong and empowered, so that's something I specifically try to address. I'm not sure it's an obligation, though. If that makes sense. I also find myself wanting to speak for geeks/nerds, because they are my tribe. Which is why there will always be geeky characters in my fiction.

Kaz
    I get what you mean. The tribes thing is interesting too, and something I've thought about a lot recently, probably inspired by MCA passing away... I guess it's sort of a Big Chill effect.

I don't feel a kinship with the geeks/nerds/pop culture aficionados in your novels ... the tribe that I actually felt a part of pretty much flamed out like twenty years ago. I'm considering touching upon elements of that tribe in my stuff, but hoping to distill things to a point where it's not straight-up nostalgia... or Jeff Goldblum dancing to The Temptations.

-Tom
    Tom Gastall

"Do you want to step on my balls?"

I'm going to miss that guy.
    I get this all the time. They say, "You really hate Daredevil. Look how mean you are to Daredevil." I'm like, "Would you really buy a book about him enjoying a sandwich? 'What a great sandwich. I'm going to eat this for 22 pages, and I'm going to be so happy.'" I may do it just to prove a point. Have Wolverine going, "This is the best bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwich I've ever had in my life!"

-Brian Bendis