Gailsimone Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hey, NC - Please Vote!

Hey, NC - Please Vote!

May 8th is the big day. Please vote. This one is kinda important. It makes me sad to know how much support Amendment One is getting and that it may actually pass, but I'm still trying to fight the good fight. Just vote, 'kay?

Amendment One sucks, btw.
    "The computer's kaput, and we're drifting through space towards certain oblivion." -- Edward Wong Hau Pepelu Tivrusky IV, Cowboy Bebop.

"Tell me that a fit fortyish woman with 25+ years of experience at sea and several decades of live bladefighting practice under her belt isn’t a threat when she runs across the deck toward you, and I’ll tell you something in return— you’re gonna die of stab wounds." - Scott Lynch

Re: Hey, NC - Please Vote!

I voted on the first day of early voting. Sadly, it will pass. There is no doubt in my mind that it will pass. I do not understand how it's legal or OK to put a minority group's rights up for a vote. I do not understand how it's legal or OK to change the constitution based solely on the argument "because my religion says so." It is just sad, sad, sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Ray Palmer View Post
    I voted on the first day of early voting. Sadly, it will pass. There is no doubt in my mind that it will pass. I do not understand how it's legal or OK to put a minority group's rights up for a vote. I do not understand how it's legal or OK to change the constitution based solely on the argument "because my religion says so." It is just sad, sad, sad.
    It's so extremely frustrating. This thing makes me feel like beating my head against a wall.
    "The computer's kaput, and we're drifting through space towards certain oblivion." -- Edward Wong Hau Pepelu Tivrusky IV, Cowboy Bebop.

"Tell me that a fit fortyish woman with 25+ years of experience at sea and several decades of live bladefighting practice under her belt isn’t a threat when she runs across the deck toward you, and I’ll tell you something in return— you’re gonna die of stab wounds." - Scott Lynch

At this point I feel like our only hope is for some brave court somewhere in the US to step up and throw all of this kind of legislation out somewhere down the line.

Fucking hate-mongering Republicans.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Ray Palmer View Post
    At this point I feel like our only hope is for some brave court somewhere in the US to step up and throw all of this kind of legislation out somewhere down the line.

Fucking hate-mongering Republicans.
    Aaaand then there is this. *sigh*

Orson Scott Card Pens Editorial Supporting Controversial "Pro-Marriage" Amendment

Makes me so sad.

That article by Card is such a mishmash of biased speculation and opinion, with a sprinkling of provable lies. I only got about halfway through it before I had to give up.

Normally I'd make the effort to read something all the way through so I'd understand the full context, but after I hit the third or fourth factual untruth, I couldn't stick it anymore. And I'm not talking differing opinion here, I mean where he says that there are no laws that discriminate against gay couples (there are lots), that they can visit each other in hospital (well, technically they can do that, the same as any other friend, but they only get treated as next of kin if the hospital, or the specific doctor allows it. Laws giving them this right are few and far between). And that's before he goes full on into "slippery slope" mode where he claims that someone else getting the same right he enjoys will lead to dogs and cats living together, men marrying ducks, and the downfall of western civilization.

It's not just bigoted bullshit, it's poorly written and easily disproved bullshit. I'd expect better from someone who makes his living as a writer.
    Life's an elevator. It goes up and down.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen El View Post
    That article by Card is such a mishmash of biased speculation and opinion, with a sprinkling of provable lies. I only got about halfway through it before I had to give up.

Normally I'd make the effort to read something all the way through so I'd understand the full context, but after I hit the third or fourth factual untruth, I couldn't stick it anymore. And I'm not talking differing opinion here, I mean where he says that there are no laws that discriminate against gay couples (there are lots), that they can visit each other in hospital (well, technically they can do that, the same as any other friend, but they only get treated as next of kin if the hospital, or the specific doctor allows it. Laws giving them this right are few and far between). And that's before he goes full on into "slippery slope" mode where he claims that someone else getting the same right he enjoys will lead to dogs and cats living together, men marrying ducks, and the downfall of western civilization.

It's not just bigoted bullshit, it's poorly written and easily disproved bullshit. I'd expect better from someone who makes his living as a writer.
    Everything you just wrote is everything I have a problem with. I tried getting through it and just couldn't for the same reason. The points are just to easy to disprove with facts. He's talking completely out of his ass, and this is coming from someone (a straight someone in a heterosexual relationship and everything) that faced some of the bullshit he's claiming doesn't exist. Unmarried couples, gay or straight, have more to worry about when it comes to medical care. Hell, it's one of the reasons I got married after dating my guy for ten years. I was starting to freak out with all the medical stuff I was going through, and it was just getting worse. Tomorrow is the first time I have to go under since we've been married (routine check, but still), and I can't tell you what a relief it is knowing I don't have to sign our lives away just to make sure he's allowed to take care of me while I'm out cold.

It's like Card is starting to believe his own fiction. Ugh.

On the other hand there is this.

Life's an elevator. It goes up and down.

of course, looks like it has passed.

Fucking, shit.
    "do what bert says" - Flamestar (c/o Ouzo Man)

A sandwich is a sandwich, but a Manwich is a meal

"Evil people can do some non-evil things, and most of them do. That doesn't mean they aren't evil." -- JeffereyWKramer

Yep, super pissed too.

What a crappy thing to read while coming home from work.

Yeah, and if Card ever gets his head out of his butt and reads this, We have had gay marriages in Canada ( and quite a few other countries ) for almost ten years now and no apocalypse, no men marrying a dog, no father marrying his son, just two consenting adults in love wanting to marry each other. Holy cow, it's not even a big thing anymore here,no one even talks about it. Jeez some people really tick me off......

All I can hope is that sooner than later, those people will be looked at the same way people now look at those idiots that thought not too long ago that we needed a bathroom for whites and for "colored".

Catherine
    always be true to yourself

Being transgender is beautiful