Gailsimone Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How would Batman feel if the Joker was to be executed?

Not exactly big names though. Hyperclan only appeared in four issues of JLA and The Authority are Wildstorm, which always had a lightly different set of rules from mainstream DC and Marvel books.

I'm thinking closer to Civil War or JSA split type division on this issue.

It would be interesting to see a 'hero' creating a genocide of villains where it was question if they had become worse than what they were fighting against.
    Independence... Nah!!!

Re: How would Batman feel if the Joker was to be executed?

Quote Originally Posted by Ray G. View Post
    There was actually a story about this. Devil's Advocate. It turned out there was some evidence that he wasn't the real culprit in that specific crime, and Batman wound up having to save him.
    I remember reading that story and thinking " Yeah, Batman would totally do that too."

It was more about the fact that the Joker wasn't guilty of that particular crime and as a result Batman didn't want the real culprit to get away with it.

As for heroes' feelings on the death penalty, I do recall one Cassandra Cain Batgirl story where she declared "no one dies tonight" and actually went the extra mile of preventing a criminal from being executed, though the man still was eventually executed, IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by Weeto View Post
    It really surprises me that I've never really seen the whole death sentence issue being explored in comics. It would be pretty interesting if a load of supervillains were facing execution and a dispute possibly along the lines of Marvel's Civil War but perhaps less violent and more political could decide the outcome.

I'd actually like to see a group of killer superheroes who act as judge, jury and executioner against their enemies. Could even be a split in the JLA or the Avengers depending on which company had it.
    "Superheroes" who don't mind killing to achieve their ends can be dangerous in the wrong hands ... these "no-nonsense" solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel.

Quote Originally Posted by Weeto View Post
    It really surprises me that I've never really seen the whole death sentence issue being explored in comics. It would be pretty interesting if a load of supervillains were facing execution and a dispute possibly along the lines of Marvel's Civil War but perhaps less violent and more political could decide the outcome.

I'd actually like to see a group of killer superheroes who act as judge, jury and executioner against their enemies. Could even be a split in the JLA or the Avengers depending on which company had it.
    I'm also wondering if we'll ever see a more liberal superhuman actually start interfering in death sentences. That could be a major issue for the government.
    Join the Prime-Punch revolution!
    http://www.606studios.com/bendisboar...ead.php?210786

Spoiler:

Buy The Gathering!

www.grayhavencomics.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ray G. View Post
    I'm also wondering if we'll ever see a more liberal superhuman actually start interfering in death sentences. That could be a major issue for the government.
    Yeah. Like Superman in ACTION COMICS #1. (Okay, he was saving an innocent person from a lynch mob.)

But I recall Priest did a pretty straight up pastiche of ACTION #1 in Justice League Task Force where L-Ron/Despero intervened against capital punishment.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Gerard View Post
    Yeah. Like Superman in ACTION COMICS #1. (Okay, he was saving an innocent person from a lynch mob.)

But I recall Priest did a pretty straight up pastiche of ACTION #1 in Justice League Task Force where L-Ron/Despero intervened against capital punishment.
    Yeah, Superman did something like that in the cartoon too, where he interfered in the execution of an innocent man. But I'm more talking about actually interfering in the death penalty as a whole, not just to protect the innocent. Destroying the drug supplies, for instance. That would be a story that would get people talking for sure.

I did not know about that plot by Priest. Sounds interesting.
    Join the Prime-Punch revolution!
    http://www.606studios.com/bendisboar...ead.php?210786

Spoiler:

Buy The Gathering!

www.grayhavencomics.com