Gailsimone Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What long running events or TV shows that you loved as a kid aren't around any more?

What long running events or TV shows that you loved as a kid aren't around any more?

I was a huge fan of British wrestling which ran on ITV from 1955 to 1988. There is obviously still British wrestling but it doesn't appear on a major TV channel on a Saturday afternoon any more.

In the 1970s the show peaked at an average of 18m viewers and wrestlers like Big Daddy, Giant Haystacks, who featured in WCW as Loch Ness and Kendo Nagasaki were household names throughout the country. Huge stars such as Dynamite Kid and Davey Boy Smith - the British Bulldogs, Chris Adams, William Regal, Kamala known as the Missisippi Mauler here, Fit Finlay, Akira Maeda - known as Kwik Kick Lee here, Satoru Sayama - known as Sammy Lee here but would become the original Tiger Mask and Mark 'Rollerball' Rocco - the original nemesis of Tiger Mask known as Black Tiger all made appearances in British wrestling that would launch them into international stardom.

Big Daddy vs Giant Haystacks
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0DSro4l_0cE

A rather strange Disco Ladder Match - Iron Fist Clive Myers vs Kendo Nagasaki (not full match as it is in parts)
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GM--yzI8JZA

Big Daddy vs Mighty John Quinn from Wembley Arena
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BYMhEmlFp74

These links are from the mobile version of YouTube because I'm posting from my iPad but they'll work OK on a PC.
    I am a spaceship.

MOO!

Re: What long running events or TV shows that you loved as a kid aren't around any mo

I don't think the US has any long-running TV shows like that.

Okay, Sesame Street? Mister Rogers? Sesame is still around.
    A Jewish seamstress in a steampunked Victorian London hires a consulting detective to solve a magical murder mystery.
    --The Curse of the Brimstone Contract by Corrina Lawson

Re: What long running events or TV shows that you loved as a kid aren't around any mo

Romper Room:

"do what bert says" - Flamestar (c/o Ouzo Man)

A sandwich is a sandwich, but a Manwich is a meal

"Evil people can do some non-evil things, and most of them do. That doesn't mean they aren't evil." -- JeffereyWKramer

As a young kid, I liked this show that ran for several decades... Playschool

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QAPjRWGhLeM
    I am a spaceship.

MOO!

Saturday morning cartoons, in general.
    "Fascism should rightly be called Corporatism, as it is the merger of corporate and government power." --Benito Mussolini

"I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and to bid defiance to the laws of our country." --Thomas Jefferson

Captain Kangaroo, Mr. Rogers Neighborhood, 321 Contact, Mr. Wizards World, The Bozo show, and like Bert Romper Room too though our's was in the Quad Cities hosted by Miss Peggy.
    "It's like poking a badger with a sharp stick. It's going to get ugly and it's going to happen fast" Detective Rand

Darkling by JM Patterson http://www.darklingmedia.com/

Trouble Boy

through the magic of the internet, it's all still around. if i want it.

Quote Originally Posted by jhota
    through the magic of the internet, it's all still around. if i want it.
    It isn't the same watching a 25 year old fuzzy replay of something as it is watching it on first broadcast.
    I am a spaceship.

MOO!

Quote Originally Posted by Weeto View Post
    It isn't the same watching a 25 year old fuzzy replay of something as it is watching it on first broadcast.
    In my experience, shows from something like ten or fifteen years ago actually look better on the computer than they ever did on television, what with tv sets back then not being so brilliant.

On the other hand, I assume nostalgia makes everythign look better in retrospect. Like Thundercats. I mean, the art is still pretty cool, but it's nowhere near as brilliant as I remember it :3

Going to second The Bozo Show.

Most of those regional shows are gone, it seems.
    - Erica J Heflin