Gailsimone Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: A "depiction of women's bodies in comics" discussion we haven't had before: Height

Gunsel

Re: A "depiction of women's bodies in comics" discussion we haven't had before: Heigh

One thing I enjoyed about the Prof Hulk era was when he was around Betty and totally DWARFED her in size.... yet, Betty always stood as tall in my eyes as he did and could often get him to do as she wished.

Re: A "depiction of women's bodies in comics" discussion we haven't had before: Heigh

Quote Originally Posted by Craig C View Post
    It's not that hard
    As a short women (5'2"), nearly everyone I've dated has been at least five inches taller than I am. Kissing never seemed to cause problems.

ETA: Yes, I think Wolverine should be short and somewhat not attractive. Hugh Jackman was probably the biggest difference in his depiction.
    A Jewish seamstress in a steampunked Victorian London hires a consulting detective to solve a magical murder mystery.
    --The Curse of the Brimstone Contract by Corrina Lawson

Most of the woman in my family are short (Tallest is my mother and 5'4) so it's not something I ever noticed. Although my girlfriend is 5'11 and so one inch taller than I am.
    Living With Insanity - Because why else would you try to make comics?

Gemini Storm - My first published work. Free Issue #3 to anyone who gets their local store to stock the title.
    Just Another Day - Rock stars get killed.

Trouble Boy

I'm just about 5-8 and was set up on a date with a girl who stood 6-foot. I was OK with it, but I think she was very uncomfortable so it was a one time thing. My wife is 5-1 and she towers compared to one ex who was maybe 5-foot and 95 pounds with a brick in her pocket. Once when we were at a friend's house and she was still talking I said "Time to go!" I flung her over my shoulder and my friend went, "Oh, wow...portable girlfriend!" My friend, who is 5-3 and divorced has trouble finding dates, mainly because it seems even if a girl is 5-0, 5-1 they want 'tall.'

I couldn't say, as it's pretty much guaranteed that 90 percent of men are taller than me. My husband is 5'7", so he's not on the tall side to most women.
    A Jewish seamstress in a steampunked Victorian London hires a consulting detective to solve a magical murder mystery.
    --The Curse of the Brimstone Contract by Corrina Lawson

Quote Originally Posted by Neil C. View Post
    I'm just about 5-8 and was set up on a date with a girl who stood 6-foot. I was OK with it, but I think she was very uncomfortable so it was a one time thing. My wife is 5-1 and she towers compared to one ex who was maybe 5-foot and 95 pounds with a brick in her pocket. Once when we were at a friend's house and she was still talking I said "Time to go!" I flung her over my shoulder and my friend went, "Oh, wow...portable girlfriend!" My friend, who is 5-3 and divorced has trouble finding dates, mainly because it seems even if a girl is 5-0, 5-1 they want 'tall.'
    I think it's a socially constructed convention. Pretty much every woman I've ever talked to about what physical characteristic on a man is a dealbreaker-- and you'd be surprised how often this comes up-- has said they could never seriously date a man who is shorter than she is. Obviously, there are women who will go after a shorter man, but I've always been struck by how height seems to be such a factor for people.

Of course, then I always follow up with my dealbreaker of "fucked up teeth".

Yeah, I think depictions of women are only a problem if they're warped or unrealistic. The idea of the average woman being shorter than the average man doesn't really qualify as a sexist warping of reality to me.

Quote Originally Posted by stevapalooza View Post
    Yeah, I think depictions of women are only a problem if they're warped or unrealistic. The idea of the average woman being shorter than the average man doesn't really qualify as a sexist warping of reality to me.
    Except that most of the women depicted are far beyond average. Why should a Wonder Woman or Miss Marvel not be taller than the average man? Superheroes are by definition super human, I think that should show.

Not actually comics, but I thought I should share this anyway.

"You really can't ignore Bendis, especially when he shoots you in the face with a sniper rifle in Call of Duty." ~Brubaker

Banned

Most women I have a crush on, most models, are 5'9" or taller. Maria Sharapova is 6'3"".

The way that Cooke drew WW in TNF, yeah, awesome.