BENDIS! Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Is this writer from GIRLS racist, stupid or cleverly ironic?

Re: Is this writer from GIRLS racist, stupid or cleverly ironic?

Quote Originally Posted by BriRedfern View Post
    Knowing nothing about this show I Googled images of the cast. People watch this?
    It's like Sex In The City but instead of laptop references, they now make Facebook references. And instead of horse-faces, they have pony-faces!

Kedd's Dummy Account capntightpants's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Black Roman View Post
    Again, this requires that the writer intended her comment seriously, and was not "overstating to the absurd for a laugh."
    It's obviously she was being ironic, but I think you would agree that there was some bite to that Tweet and it was thinly veiled. That is different from a person who is simply wishing for more.

A question I might ask is why the reviewer felt the need to address race as a negative for the show? Did he/she not realize the can of worms they'd be opening, especially when he/she is giving the show a typically good review? It just feels like shit-stirring for no good reason.
    That's a good question, and I think that she'll give you a direct and reasonable response. Not a passive aggressive one like the Mister Mets was comparing it to.

A question I might ask is why the reviewer felt the need to address race as a negative for the show? Did he/she not realize the can of worms they'd be opening, especially when he/she is giving the show a typically good review? It just feels like shit-stirring for no good reason.
    the blogger that wrote the article is bi-racial and populates the world being represented in the show. She wrote about an aspect of the show that she wished was different while largely praising the show and how relatable it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by CPA View Post
    Wow - I always love how the dialogue on this board descends into someone calling someone else a racist because the high minded liberals dont like to discuss things.
    Quote Originally Posted by CPA View Post
    You are too smart for me Kedd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Your pal, Jim View Post
    It's like Sex In The City but instead of laptop references, they now make Facebook references. And instead of horse-faces, they have pony-faces!
    Pony-Faces made me spit out my drink.
    AIM ID : ashpcomics | Website |Blog | Twitter |

Quote Originally Posted by capntightpants View Post
    That's a good question, and I think that she'll give you a direct and reasonable response. Not a passive aggressive one like the Mister Mets was comparing it to.
    Well I explained why there's likely an edge to the tone, but I think we've dissected the comment enough at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedd View Post
    the blogger that wrote the article is bi-racial and populates the world being represented in the show. She wrote about an aspect of the show that she wished was different while largely praising the show and how relatable it is.
    I can get that, but again, whenever you bring up race (in a negative aspect), you are inviting heaps and heaps of trouble.

To her, mentioning a lack of racial diversity is just an honest critique and is meant as nothing more, to plenty of others she's saying the show is racist and we should react accordingly. It is the internet.

I honestly can't say how I'd react if suddenly the show I'd been working so hard on for years was suddenly being criticized for something like that. So, yeah, could the writer have handled it better, sure, but you have to realize, while this is an emotional subject for many people, it's likely an emotional subject for her as well.

She said something smart-ass, it was received poorly, she retracted it. That should have been the end of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Sasha View Post
    Roman, I give you credit for being creative, but you're also disgusting.
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicGamer View Post
    "Everyone" is not a type, Roman!

Quote Originally Posted by BriRedfern View Post
    Knowing nothing about this show I Googled images of the cast. People watch this?
    See, this is one of the reasons why the '70s is the best decade for movies in the last 20 years. You could cast people who looked like someone you could actually meet in reality and still get your film made.

Quote Originally Posted by Fourthman View Post
    I'm willing to overlook Arfin's tweet in response to the huge backlash to this (2 episodes aired) show.
    Don't you mean blacklash?
    Click on AM/UK Banner for Rock n' Comix:

Quote Originally Posted by Your pal, Jim View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sy-Klone View Post
    First draft of TIP's eulogy:
    "And so we commit this hairy man to the ground. Like his beloved Cerebus, TIP passed from this mortal coil two issues sooner than we'd have preferred. We were never promised those final two issues. Life, like Sim, can be utterly indecipherable."

~*~ DISNEY PRINCESS ~*~ Dark Sasha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jef UK View Post
    Don't you mean blacklash?
    Don't you mean Pluto Nash?

I think it's better they just ignore the whole topic. Asking a modern white American to address race is like asking a Victorian society lady to address sex. Not only are we unwilling to ever talk honestly about it, I think we're in such a deep twisted state of denial that I don't think we're even capable of doing it anymore. Well some are, but they're usually immediately silenced by the freaked-out white majority.