BENDIS! Tweets

Tweets are Loading...

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Is this writer from GIRLS racist, stupid or cleverly ironic?

~*~ DISNEY PRINCESS ~*~ Dark Sasha's Avatar

Re: Is this writer from GIRLS racist, stupid or cleverly ironic?

JUST DON'T WATCH IT! Holy shit!

Kedd's Dummy Account capntightpants's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kedd View Post
    I like that an idle wish that a show depict a more racially diverse world is somehow twisted into claims that the show is racist. *shrug*
    "I can identify with many aspects of this show, but I wish there was a non-white presence in the cast."
    "Quit this McCarthy witch hunt bullshit! We aren't racist! You're racist!"
    Pretty much both of these. The folks who are pissed off about not having representation are blowing it out of proportion, and the folks who are pushing back hard are acting like assholes about it.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeE View Post
    She was just ridiculing the notion that you need to share the skin color of the people in a story to relate to them.

ONE episode of her show had aired, some bloggers tried to lay down a racial guilt trip, and instead of the standard ass-slathering apology they got a well-deserved fuck-off, at least before she retracted it.
    Yeah, man! Fuck those guys being a little tired of being relegated to background players. Laying down racial guilt trips and stuff like the exclusion of non-white characters is some kind of valid concern or something. They should go watch basketball or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by CPA View Post
    Wow - I always love how the dialogue on this board descends into someone calling someone else a racist because the high minded liberals dont like to discuss things.
    You are too smart for me Kedd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post

Where the White Wimmen at?

Oh.

There they are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sy-Klone View Post
    First draft of TIP's eulogy:
    "And so we commit this hairy man to the ground. Like his beloved Cerebus, TIP passed from this mortal coil two issues sooner than we'd have preferred. We were never promised those final two issues. Life, like Sim, can be utterly indecipherable."

The exclusion of non-white characters is certainly a valid concern, but the least they could do would be to give the writers some time. How many total minutes of this show has aired now? 40, 50?

Yeah, man! Fuck those guys being a little tired of being relegated to background players. Laying down racial guilt trips and stuff like the exclusion of non-white characters is some kind of valid concern or something. They should go watch basketball or something.
    I don't know, while I feel like, yeah, more minorities need to be major players, I also don't feel like every show has to shoehorn characters into their story that wouldn't otherwise be there. (Regardless of race, gender, sexual preference, etc.)

It's a show about 4 white girls and their troubled little white girl lives. I'm not going to cry if those four white girls don't have a minority friend.

And again, yes, the show has only aired 2 episodes. It's silly. It's the whole "trying so hard to not be racist that it goes all the way around to being racist again" scenario that is also prevalent in our culture.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Sasha View Post
    Roman, I give you credit for being creative, but you're also disgusting.
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicGamer View Post
    "Everyone" is not a type, Roman!

I should mention that I really, really, really connected to Precious.
    x7

Quote Originally Posted by BriRedfern View Post
    I like you. You are one of the few people here that I think of by their real name. Assuming your name is Matt. You have spells where you are really funny and then spells where you try to hard to be funny and all I can think is "wow. He is really trying hard to be funny and it is not working. Maybe tomorrow will be better for him."

Quote Originally Posted by JoeE View Post
    The exclusion of non-white characters is certainly a valid concern, but the least they could do would be to give the writers some time. How many total minutes of this show has aired now? 40, 50?
    Yeah, man, who do these chuckleheads think they are giving their initial reactions to some tv show that they largely praise as being good and relatable. Gawwwwwwd. Give them some time to awkwardly address the situation that they probably never intended on addressing.
    Wow - I always love how the dialogue on this board descends into someone calling someone else a racist because the high minded liberals dont like to discuss things.
    You are too smart for me Kedd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post

There's been a lot of pressure on Girls to be the voice of a generation — or "a voice of a generation," as Dunham's character Hannah puts it in the first episode. Its writers certainly seem to have captured my generation's awkwardness about race.
    Too much is being made of this quote. I don't think the writers are trying to portray a character who is the voice of a generation, rather a character who in her youthful narcissism thinks she could be the voice of a generation.

Quote Originally Posted by thatguyfromsyracuse View Post
    I should mention that I really, really, really connected to Precious.
    Hand to Pants counts, sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sy-Klone View Post
    First draft of TIP's eulogy:
    "And so we commit this hairy man to the ground. Like his beloved Cerebus, TIP passed from this mortal coil two issues sooner than we'd have preferred. We were never promised those final two issues. Life, like Sim, can be utterly indecipherable."